Bathroom scale weighing- Mtbr.com
    Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007

Bathroom scale weighing

...for a complete bike? I know its not the most scientific or accurate way, but the way I do it is giving me #'s all over the board. I hold the bars with the bike perpendicular to the ground with the rear tire on the scale and contact the bars as little as possible as I get a (digital) reading. Better way?

ups and downs
    Hold the bike and stand on the scale, note the weight. Put the bike down and weigh yourself, subtract your weight from the combined weight. Bathroom scales are horribly non-linear near the ends of their operating range so you need to weigh objects in the middle of their operating range. Don't expect any better than +/- couple of pounds accuracy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Also try at least ten times and the average. IDon't forget to give the standard deviation on your claimed weight ;-)

mtbr member
    There is indeed a better way. Do as rockyuphill described if you must use the bathroom scales, or shell out ten bucks for a fishing scale and get a much more accurate idea.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1164
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

~~~
    Just to give you an idea, I was off by 0.8 lbs using the bathroom scale 'guesstimate' and then weighing the bike at the LBS with their digital scale. So as rockyuphill said, +/- a couple of pounds should be expected.

TranceX Rider
    Whoa! That translates to a 360+ gram difference. Well, won't be surprised such a big margin like that. At first, I was doing that but I noticed something's not right (accurate here). I've got to verify it when I went to my LBS and used their digital scale...

Better yet save some $$$ like what Erin said invest in a good fishing scale... I've saved for an Ultimate Support.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

ups and downs
    Most bathroom scale readings also vary quite a bit with the position of the person's weight on the scale, so leaning forward or back can change the reading as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    There is indeed a better way. Do as rockyuphill described if you must use the bathroom scales, or shell out ten bucks for a fishing scale and get a much more accurate idea.

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1164
    Bathroom scale is no good as mentioned. The scale that Some Guy mentions is fairly decent. Not super accurate (within 20 grams or so) but it will give you a better more accurate idea than a bathroom scale at a fraction of the cost of buying a proper Ultimate scale. I thought this site was a joke when I saw it linked here in another thread..but the shipping from Hong Kong is free and I got mine delivered air mail, with no duty or taxes or shipping costs, in less than a week [to Canada].

PurpleIsFasterThanRed!
    Hey, this scale on photo is smiling
    Aluminium Carbon / Damping Composite

The MTB Lab
    Those cheap fish scales are also not that accurate. I have done some testing and the quality control or the lack there of makes them all over the place in accuracy. Also an issue with cheap scales is the fluctuation in readings, do the same weighing over a period of time and it will sometimes change. You spend thousands of dollars on a bike and spending another $100 for a decent table top scale and a hanging scale isn't asking to much IMHO. Currently only the Ultimate scale is out there but Parks just released one. I have yet to do a comparison between them.

mtbr member
    I have tried weighing it a couple of different times, I get the same reading. Not saying it is super accurate but it is consistent. I don't care about the weight of my bike enough to invest 100 bucks in a scale, $10 w/ free shipping I figured what the hell. Decent option on the cheap, but no, not going to be accurate within 1 gram or anything.

TranceX Rider
    Yes, Gram! Too bad though, my local guys back here have been using those fish(y) scales. They don't know they are just being 'fooled'... By not getting an accurate reading... Purpose of weighing is kind of defeated, IMHO. I'm just expressing my XP here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onie
    They don't know they are just being 'fooled'... By not getting an accurate reading... Purpose of weighing is kind of defeated, IMHO. I'm just expressing my XP here.
    I weigh my parts on a quality accurate scale, but for the whole bike all I really need is a rough estimate. So for me the fish scale is plenty good enough.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    I weigh my parts on a quality accurate scale, but for the whole bike all I really need is a rough estimate. So for me the fish scale is plenty good enough.
    I have one of those $10 scales and have compared the weights to my higher quality desktop scale. They are always within 10 grams of each other, that's more than good enough for me.

If I ever need a super accurate reading I can ride 2 minutes to the bike shop and use their scale.

I can't weld
    These are going for 0.99 on Ebay because no on else is bidding on them. Mine was about $12 including shipping. Just put it on an overhanging board or bike rack and hang your saddle on the pad.

Topeak Scale on Ebay

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I really prefer to spend my time weighing bike parts. But if I wanted to know how much my bathroom scaled weighed, I would simply place it on itself and see.

I can't weld
    Here's a pic of what I did with my $12 Topeak scale. It weighs in 5g increments.

bi-winning
    I found the accuracy of the bathroom scale method to be very poor. If you can't be certain if your bike is 31.9 lbs or 30.0 lbs it really is not that helpful.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

PurpleIsFasterThanRed!
    I found my bathroom scale acceptable accurate. Weighted part by part my bike is 9,74 kg, and on bathroom scale (weighted 5 times) it's 4x 9,7kg and 1x 9,8.

No need for more.

Greetz
    vi3dr0
    Aluminium Carbon / Damping Composite

Members who have read this thread: 1