Bang-for-Buck Race Bike- Mtbr.com
    dreaming of bottlerockets

Bang-for-Buck Race Bike

I need some advice on how to lighten up this bike.

My goal this past fall was to train to race X/C for the 2008 season - my first race season. I bought the bike for it last June, but I would like to make a few upgrades.

It's a completely stock 2001 GT Zaskar Race - currently weighs somewhere just above 23lbs. Got it locally for $1000, with only 36 original km's on it. I come from a freeride backround, so this bike feels absurdly light to me already.

Note - everything is basically brand new, but from 2001-2002:

2001 SID Race
    Mavic X225's on LX Hubs
    LX Cranks
    LX Triggers
    LX Front Derailleur
    XTR Rear Derailleur
    2.1" WTB Nanoraptors
    Avid SD7 Levers
    Avid SD Magnesium Brakes
    Syncros 6061 Stem
    Syncros 6061 Handlebar
    SDG saddle

I'm 165lbs and I ride downhill with reckless abandon. I'm also a student on a budget, until I go back to work in April.

Wheels are my #1 priority, and I can build them myself. Anyone have suggestions for rims or a wheelset for me, or other upgrades? The rims must be v-brake compatible, and I'd like to go tubeless with some new tires.

#2 priority is stem and handlebar, or fork, unless someone can think of a better place to save some weight.

Much thanks to anyone that helps me out .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

pedal pusher
    Save money on the fork for now; SIDs are pretty light.

Even before the bar and stem, I'd focus on the chain, pedals and crankset.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    I don't think there are many tubeless V-brake rims out there. Here's the obvious choice: http://www.notubes.com/rim_builder.php/cPath/487_489

I agree with f3rg, screw upgrading the bar and stem for now - you won't save much weight there.

I'd do stuff in this order:
    Wheelset and tires
    Seat (lots of weight savings here, I bet!)
    Foam grips
    Crankset (not really necessary, I suppose)

I'd try to stop there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'd replace the syncros stuff if you want something light. You can sell it for good money on ebay and get lighter taiwanese stuff (less weight and less flair) for the same price new.
    For a light tubeless V-brake wheelset, Mavic crossmax would be an option. The SLR are even lighter, but might not match your budget. You might be able to find some older cheap Crossmax SL.

Yea, I don't see myself investing a ton of cash into this rig. It's a cheap, lightweight bike that I'm going to beat to hell racing.

I forgot about the seat. It's terrible, but lightweight. Might as well go for something more comfortable, but light.

Definitely going to do the wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel
    Yea, I don't see myself investing a ton of cash into this rig. It's a cheap, lightweight bike that I'm going to beat to hell racing.

Definitely going to do the wheels and tires.
    if you need to keep the vbrakes - get NoTubes 355 rims, but build them up (or buy them) with DISC hubs, then you can use them on the NEXT bike.

Other than wheels, save your money for that next bike. The other components are not that bad, can certainly be raced. You could spend a fortune doing upgrades to this bike.

Get the wheels, go tubeless with sealant, run light/fast standard tires, train the best you can.

Good luck!

No longer 26
    I bet you could find some Bontrager race lite / race x lite wheels for v's. Not sure if they are still made but the race x lites (and / or original race lites) have excelllent hubs and should be OK. Not tubeless ready but convert well with stans.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

I love Pisgah
    That looks like an 01 Sid XC(they used the heavier Judy Lowers).
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

It's an 2001 SID Race - lowest end model made that year as far as I know.

I find the damping on it is terrible, but I'm coming from an '04 Z-150 on my main rig. I'll try to give the SID an overhaul this spring before race season.

I've done quite a bid of fiddling with it, but can't seem to find a sweet spot (or a guide on the 'net/forums for this old fork). How much heavier are the older Judy lowers, or SIDs?

monster member
    Dude, you got everything you need to start a race season. Just buy a seat or tires to make it work for you, and ride. My impression of any of the guys winning races is that they could be given a 5-lb heavier bike and still win. Sounds like you got the downhill part down, just do lots of road rides now to build endurance and hill-strength.

btw- that bike looks like a sweet catch for $1000. Have fun!

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel
    It's an 2001 SID Race - lowest end model made that year as far as I know.

I find the damping on it is terrible, but I'm coming from an '04 Z-150 on my main rig. I'll try to give the SID an overhaul this spring before race season.

I've done quite a bid of fiddling with it, but can't seem to find a sweet spot (or a guide on the 'net/forums for this old fork). How much heavier are the older Judy lowers, or SIDs?
    The 01 XC was THE lowest model. It came oem on the 01 NRS1 as well as the 01 Fuel 80(and surely others as well). Its Sid uppers with Judy lowers. The lowers use the thicker arch and the lower sanctions are taller then std Sid lowers. Weight is 3.25 lbs(because of the more robust lowers).
    Heres a pic and specs/reviews.
    https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Front_S...ct_68700.shtml

01 Sid race. Note the use of the more streamline lowers..
    https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Front_S...ct_68707.shtml

Pick of the 01 XC I have on the old beater HT. Been a great fork really. Have yet to need any care. Note the "XC" designation on inside of fork sanction. Was thrown together by RS with the old Judy lowers they still had in stock that were no longer in use, for a cheap entry level Sid basically. Dual "hydra Air" air setup.

Pic of an 02 sid SL with std Sid lowers, just for more reference(03 went to the newer style lowers we see today). Note where the top/wipes are compared to the V-brake bosses..almost even, where the one above are taller/longer=more over lap but heavier. Much shorter length sanctions for the std Sid lowers, hence the weight loss compared to the XC lowers. But also less overlap which is a big factor in Sid flex/"wag'n its head".

Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed
    Dude, you got everything you need to start a race season. Just buy a seat or tires to make it work for you, and ride. My impression of any of the guys winning races is that they could be given a 5-lb heavier bike and still win. Sounds like you got the downhill part down, just do lots of road rides now to build endurance and hill-strength.

btw- that bike looks like a sweet catch for $1000. Have fun!
    Agreed! Ride it 'til it breaks. No need for major upgrades.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    After whee's I'm guessing you could save your most weight with a SRAM 990 cassette and new cranks and BB

Dirt Huffer
    Foam grips suck. Not even worth the weight savings.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    Foam grips suck. Not even worth the weight savings.
    Which did you try?

I use Ritchey WCS foam grips on all my bikes and love them.

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    Which did you try?

I use Ritchey WCS foam grips on all my bikes and love them.
    Ditto. Ritchey WCS are not foam tho, they are neoprene. Thats why they are much better. I have them on all my mtbs as well as my wifes. I've tried Pork Rinds(foam) and HATED it. I'll eat the extra ounce.

mtbr member
    I also hated pork rinds. I've got pretty large hands and those grips are too narrow. I've used generic foam grips, and they wore out very fast. Then I tried road bike bar tape, two layers, and it worked for a while but eventually unraveled. So, now I'm back to heavy ODIs until something better comes along.

From where do you get your bontrager grips? It's been a while since I looked, but way back then I couldn't find them anywhere.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Members who have read this thread: 0