Avid XX Brakes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Avid XX Brakes

mtbr member

Avid XX Brakes

I haven't seen to much feedback from these brakes. Anybody use these and how do you find they compare with the other lightweight alternatives?

mtbr member
    Mine should arrive tomorrow. I'll throw them on a scale, take some pics, and get a ride in on them this weekend. I won't be able to compare them to anything but Juicy 7's and Elixir CR's, though.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in them as well. Can't make up my mind on brakes. I'll be waiting to hear whay you think about them and your actual weights.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    I agree. I'm anxious to get something before the start of the race season so I may end up just getting whatever I can get the cheapest. Right now, the XX are the cheapest I can find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can find weights and pictures in this thread. Didn't test them out on the field yet, but rebleeded them lately so shoot if you've got some questions.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i used on my Flash team.

wow ! what a power !!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    i used on my Flash team.

wow ! what a power !!
    Sorry Eliflap, i know you also have the Formula "The one" and just looking at the graphs below tells me that it can't be true. The XX is one of the weaker brakes available at the moment. Definitely weaker than the regular Elixir and A LOT less powerful than the Formula.

Explaining the graph below which are the results of a comparison test done by german BIKE magazine (issue 12/09):
    The power got measured at 80 Newton handforce. All brakes equally.

To the left you see the Brakepower
    Below in Red you see the different rotor sizes with each brake

As you can see the Avid XX with big 185mm rotor has equal power than a Shimano SLX with the 160mm rotor!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid XX Brakes-disc-test-09.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wish that German magazine would have tested the Formula R1's and Hope Race. Would have been a much better comparison with the XX.

After all, isn't The One brake a DH specific brake??

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Wish that German magazine would have tested the Formula R1's and Hope Race. Would have been a much better comparison with the XX.

After all, isn't The One brake a DH specific brake??
    No-the one is a labeled as a All-Mountain Brake but just slightly heavier than the R1!

Eliflap also has it.Pictures below are from his Blog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid XX Brakes-hpim1651.jpg.jpeg  

Avid XX Brakes-hpim1652.jpg.jpeg  

Last edited by nino; 02-04-2010 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    i used on my Flash team.

wow ! what a power !!

http://content.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/d...1_1507crx.aspx

The only two reviews posted here both agree that the brakes are very powerful.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    http://content.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/d...1_1507crx.aspx

The only two reviews posted here both agree that the brakes are very powerful.
    interesting-the guy saying it is powerful obvisouly never used another disc before and the second user isn't really happy with them either.

But reading the verdict of the german test again they say the XX is a great brake for xc riding. The only major complaint they had was the price. This and the fact that the regular Elixirs were performing better made those even more appealing to the testers. But then it seems they don't care for the

The Formula "The one" was weighed 24g heavier than the XX but got is still the ultimate brake regarding power and durability. If i would have been able to get one over here ins Switzerland i would have taken that one over the R1 and XX any time.
    Last edited by nino; 02-04-2010 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm sorry Nino, but you're mistaken:

The One - 195 + 214 = 409g
    R1 - 167 +182 = 349g
    XX - 158 +183 = 343g

So R1 weights 60g less and XX 66g less than The One.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezex
    I'm sorry Nino, but you're mistaken:

The One - 195 + 214 = 409g
    R1 - 167 +182 = 349g
    XX - 158 +183 = 343g

So R1 weights 60g less and XX 66g less than The One.
    Well - the weights in BIKE-magazine were given for all brakes with the same lenght hose and the same parts included."The one" was just 24g heavier than the XX (front brake only).But by reading closer i see they also included the rotors and bolts so the Formula has an advantage with the lighter rotors here...
    Formula "The One" complete front setup with 160mm rotor: 315g
    XX front setup: 291g

Below Eliflap pictures of uncut R1 with carbon levers (5g per side lighter than the alloy levers):
    158+174= 340g

More Eliflap pictures from an uncut XX:
    174g+190g = 364g
    (The 2 PM bolts with washers weigh 16g)

Do we know if all those hoses are the same lenght??? I don't think so.That's why i gave the weights of the german magazine which had them all set up the same.
    If i'm not completely mistaken the 160mm XX rotors weigh 97g while the R1/The one rotors are 88g....x2= another 18g advantage for the Formulas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid XX Brakes-r1front-158.jpg  

Avid XX Brakes-r1rear-174.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member

New XX brakes just arrived

Here are the weights (in grams):

Lever, caliper, hose (160mm front)- 163.7
    Lever, caliper, hose (160mm rear)- 174.8
    Clamp F- 10.4
    Clamp R- 10.2
    Rotor F- 96.1
    Rotor R- 102.6 (Overweight!- it also measures 1.97mm thick, compared to 1.84mm for the front. I don't think it was surface finished adequately.)
    Rotor bolts (6)- 7.2
    Rotor bolts (6)- 7.1

Complete Front- 293.0
    Compete Rear- 324.0 (Including IS adapter and mounting bolts. Would be 317.5 if the rotor was the proper weight.)

Luckily I am running a 140mm rear rotor, so I don't care that much about the overweight XX rotor. All in all I saved 178 grams over the Elixir CR's that had been tuned with Ti rotor bolts, caliper mounting bolts, and Al lever mount bolts- only swapping the front rotor.

I just took the bike out to the parking lot to bed in the rotors a bit. Even though they're not fully bedded, I can tell they have less power than the Elixir CR's they replaced. I believe this is fully due to the organic pads that come stock on the XX brakes. I'll give them a few rides before deciding if I need to replace them with sintered pads.

Edit- I think when I was installing/adjusting the front caliper I may have contaminated the front rotor with a small amount of copper anti-seize. I've wiped it and the pads down with soapy water, rinsed, and bedded again. They seem to be doing much better. I can lock up the rear on asphalt no problem- can't tell a difference between them and the Elixir CR's they replaced. The front is doing better- I can do a front wheelie, but it takes two fingers. Hopefully it will get a bit better.
    Last edited by bholwell; 02-04-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    bholwell: Rebleed them before riding. Mine rear one had a lot of strange stuff floating in oil. After rebleeding they work a whole lot better!

nino: Ok, I see your point. Still I prefer XX over R1/One even if the weight is almoust the same.

mtbr member
    bholwell: Rebleed them before riding. Mine rear one had a lot of strange stuff floating in oil.
    That doesn't sound good! I'm riding this weekend so I don't think I'll get to it before then. The levers feel good and firm, though.

Did you replace the fluid in both brakes? Did both have the "stange stuff" in the fluid?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    The levers feel good and firm, though.
    Mine wasn't so maybe it was a problem in one item only.

Did you replace the fluid in both brakes? Did both have the "stange stuff" in the fluid?
    Yes, rebleeded both of them. Font was ok, rear sucked, I could touch the handlebar with the lever. The "strange stuff" looked like pieces of inner hose (don't know how it's called in english so it's hard to explain). Now they feel much more firmer just as I like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This is the earlier test results of bike mag.

I use elixir cr's for now and planning to get my xx brakes soon.. I was thinking of R1's before, but after seeing some oil leakage problems and rotor rubbing issues i forgot them..

Weight diff between r1 and xx seems less than 10g with uncut housings..(add 20g for the clamps to xx side)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have been riding my XX brakes for around 30 miles & cant seem to wear my brakes in as i keep getting this major grinding / vibrating when i brake.
    So do all XX brakes that are sold on bike sets have organic pads as opposed to other typos?
    So how can i tell what type of pad i have installed on my XX is there any indication or color on the backing of disc pad that can verify this?
    I would love to go for another pad to eliminate the noise i am experiencing @ this moment but confused as to what will be the quietest?
    I read in MTB action that only 2 types of pads can be used on the XX organic & semi metallic this is to minimize heat build up, as magnesium is not as good as dissipating heat as aluminum is. And told sintered is not a good fit for these typo brakes?

thanks for your replies.

bike rider
    What are the differences between the Elixir CR and XX?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boralb
    Weight diff between r1 and xx seems less than 10g with uncut housings..(add 20g for the clamps to xx side)
    That's exactly what my XX brakes weighed (rounded). How is the adjustment on the R1's? I think the adjustment on the XX's are an improvement over the Elixir CR's. With both brakes you get pad contact and lever reach adjustments, but on the Elixir CR's I had to lever reach adjustment to the max to avoid the lever from getting too close to or from touching the handlebar. With the XX brakes after I adjusted the lever position to where I like it, it was about in the middle, meaning I can fine-tune it in either direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudarocks
    I have been riding my XX brakes for around 30 miles & cant seem to wear my brakes in as i keep getting this major grinding / vibrating when i brake.
    So do all XX brakes that are sold on bike sets have organic pads as opposed to other typos?
    So how can i tell what type of pad i have installed on my XX is there any indication or color on the backing of disc pad that can verify this?
    I would love to go for another pad to eliminate the noise i am experiencing @ this moment but confused as to what will be the quietest?
    I read in MTB action that only 2 types of pads can be used on the XX organic & semi metallic this is to minimize heat build up, as magnesium is not as good as dissipating heat as aluminum is. And told sintered is not a good fit for these typo brakes?

thanks for your replies.
    Check to make sure your pads are contacting the center of the correct part of the rotor. It sounds like your caliper may be positioned either too high or too low.

I am not sure if sintered pads are not recommended for the XX brakes. I'll look into it. It sounds strange, though, b/c I think I remember reading the XX brake pads are aluminum backed, as opposed to copper? which is normally used. If heat dissipation was an issue, why would they use Al alloy backed pads?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    What are the differences between the Elixir CR and XX?
    I'll try to summarize:

-------------------------Elixir CR---------XX
    Rotors---------------All steel G3-----steel/Al
    Hardware-----------all steel-----------all Titanium
    Levers---------------Carbon fiber-----lighter carbon fiber
    Caliper Body------Aluminum-------Magnesium
    Lever Body--------Aluminum--------Magnesium
    Pads----------------Sintered-----------Al backed Organic

Also, the lever adjustment knob is eliminated on the XX, which relies solely on a small allen screw under the lever for adjustment. The colors are different, and the XX brakes are compatible with the XX matchmaker clamps (which is only useful if you're running XX shifters).

http://www.sram.com/en/XX/products/brakes.php

craigsj
    I find the test result for the Formula The One brake at 203mm suspicious. If it were around 600N instead of 700N it would make more sense. Otherwise there needs to be some splainin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj
    I find the test result for the Formula The One brake at 203mm suspicious. If it were around 600N instead of 700N it would make more sense. Otherwise there needs to be some splainin.
    You're totally right. And not only that, but the relative ranking should remain the same going from 160 to 180 to 203mm. I don't put much stock in "magazine testing".

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for your reply.....

The brakes came stock with a 2010 cannondale scalpel & everything centered & positioned perfectly when i claimed it from my lbs. I have no rotor / pad rub so im baffled as to what this issue could be?
    Only solution @ this stage is to go ahead & change for new pads?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudarocks
    Thanks for your reply.....

The brakes came stock with a 2010 cannondale scalpel & everything centered & positioned perfectly when i claimed it from my lbs. I have no rotor / pad rub so im baffled as to what this issue could be?
    Only solution @ this stage is to go ahead & change for new pads?
    I don't know. I find it odd that the pad material would cause this type of problem. I hope you're not trusting that your lbs mechanic set your brakes up correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I hear you!!

I am on my way to another bike shop let them sort out this issue for me i will keep you posted with the outcome ...
    cheers !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    Well - the weights in BIKE-magazine were given for all brakes with the same lenght hose and the same parts included."The one" was just 24g heavier than the XX (front brake only).But by reading closer i see they also included the rotors and bolts so the Formula has an advantage with the lighter rotors here...
    Formula "The One" complete front setup with 160mm rotor: 315g
    XX front setup: 291g

Below Eliflap pictures of uncut R1 with carbon levers (5g per side lighter than the alloy levers):
    158+174= 340g

More Eliflap pictures from an uncut XX:
    174g+190g = 364g
    (The 2 PM bolts with washers weigh 16g)

Do we know if all those hoses are the same lenght??? I don't think so.That's why i gave the weights of the german magazine which had them all set up the same.
    If i'm not completely mistaken the 160mm XX rotors weigh 97g while the R1/The one rotors are 88g....x2= another 18g advantage for the Formulas.
    Nino did you get weights off Formula RX`s????? Really Thankful if you could take the info form BIKE-mag

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stefano_cercone
    Nino did you get weights off Formula RX`s????? Really Thankful if you could take the info form BIKE-mag
    359g for the same front setup.

On the trail with 160 rotor testers complained the rather high handforce to achieve the needed power.They suggest the 180 rotor for the RX.The weight is super-low for a brake of this price-class.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    359g for the same front setup.

On the trail with 160 rotor testers complained the rather high handforce to achieve the needed power.They suggest the 180 rotor for the RX.The weight is super-low for a brake of this price-class.
    Would you think is easy to lower weight a bit more? I donīt mind having the 160mm rotor(obviosly lighter) or 180mm.??

Greetings from Costa Rica

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    bermudarocks look at the sram webpage - "PAD MATERIALS: Organic, alloy backed"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stefano_cercone
    Would you think is easy to lower weight a bit more? I donīt mind having the 160mm rotor(obviosly lighter) or 180mm.??

Greetings from Costa Rica
    Bolt-tuning only.Nothing what you can't do to others as well. Some titanium or aluminium bolts might save about 50g Total.( 12 Ti rotor bolts , 4 main PM bolts that attach the brakes to the fork+frame can be aluminium, IS adapter bolts titanium)

On high-priced brakes like the XX bolts usually are already titanium.I would NOT suggest to go for lighter 160 rotors since there aren't any lighter steel rotors! Aluminium or titanium simply offer weaker power which is not what you want. Formula rotors are the lightest steel rotors already (160mm = 88g / 180mm=109g).

mtbr member
    Here are some test results from an other German mag.
    Maybe useful, maybe not.....

Sorry for the bad quality, but my scanner isn't working.

Standfestigkeit :

For reliability on long descents, with a minimum off hand power.

Bremsleistung

Reduces fatigue in the fingers, and reduces braking distance.

Dosierbarkeit

The braking power increases continuous and is good to modulate.
    Important for beginners.

Preis-leistungs-Verhaltnis

Good brake properties doesn't have to be expensive.
    Here is where you get most for your money.

German isn't my native tong, so corrected me if I am wrong

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They're comparing Hayes, Marta and Formula with 203mm rotors with Avid XX with 185mm rotor. Well done!

What does "Dosierbarkeit" mean ?

mtbr member
    It means modulation

banned
    They're comparing Hayes, Marta and Formula with 203mm rotors with Avid XX with 185mm rotor. Well done!

What does "Dosierbarkeit" mean ?
    wrong

They tested ALL brakes with different rotor sizes.Just look at the brakepower-chart i posted yesterday. There you can see al the different brakes with all the different rotor sizes.

What you see in DEY11s scans is the top 3 of each category:

Standfestigkeit = Durability (no fading,low handforce and security on long descents)
    Bremsleistung= Brakepower
    Dosierbarkeit = Modulation
    Preis-Leisungs-Verhältnis = price vs. performance ( best bang for the buck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What I meant was that they're not showing comparison between the most popular size which is 180-185mm but 203mm instead. And we all know that XX do not have 203mm version so it will not compete in other categories such as break power for example.

banned
    What I meant was that they're not showing comparison between the most popular size which is 180-185mm but 203mm instead. And we all know that XX do not have 203mm version so it will not compete in other categories such as break power for example.
    ahem-but you have seen the graph i posted before, didn't you? That's the graphs that belong to the test also scanned above...There you can see ALL the tested brakes with ALL possible rotor sizes. Again - the XX is one of the weaker brakes tested regardless of the rotor size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid XX Brakes-disc-test-09.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Oh well, you can't have everything. At least it's the lightest from all tested. I'm sure it will suffice for XC riding. It's a pitty that they didn't tested the R1 as they are quite popular.

I'm looking at graphs from this picture and see that XX looks quite good from among the others. It is the same article that you have Nino ?

banned
    It is the same article that you have Nino ?

]
    That's what i tried to tell all the time - my graphs are from the same test!

mtbr member
    For pics of my XX brakes mounted on the bike, visit:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...07#post6577407

mtbr member
    Nino, are you sure it is the same test ?
    Mine are from Mountain Bike 2/2010 (mountainbike-magazin.de)
    I don't see the graphs you posted anywhere...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex11
    Nino, are you sure it is the same test ?
    Mine are from Mountain Bike 2/2010 (mountainbike-magazin.de)
    I don't see the graphs you posted anywhere...
    ups-you are right-mines are from BIKE magazine but look almost the same.I have both mags so i may be excused
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid XX Brakes-disc-09.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have them both too....the look almost the same indeed, I was thinking I missed some
    pages....

If we would combine both tests, how would the verdict look ?

If you would look for best bang for the buck the Formula RX is the clear winner.

Anybody out there who has both the Formula R1 and the Formula The One ? , I would like to know what the verdict will be....

mtbr member
    By those scanned pages it seems that the CR Mag is a better choice than the XX

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Batas
    By those scanned pages it seems that the CR Mag is a better choice than the XX
    Performance-wise for sure.

XX are just lighter and cost much more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In fact they cost the same, you have to know how to search for it

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    tell us more :-(

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Search google products, amazon, qbike and other sites for best deals. Then search for discount coupons. Try different names, I've found mine while searching for "sram xx" not "avid xx" and got it for 200$ less. It's a matter of patience, lot of time and a little bit of luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Are most of you XX brake users happy with them. I still on the fence about using the XX on my new build... compared to R1's
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrack
    Are most of you XX brake users happy with them. I still on the fence about using the XX on my new build... compared to R1's
    Thanks
    R1s = LOVE the way the feel, modulate and the power HATE HATE HATE the fact that the pistons in the calipers are so finicky and more often then not, DRAG.. I might switch them out if I can find another break that feels as good, in the same weight class and doesn't drag (maybe the new hopes race?). I have some sets of brakes that always fully retract and don't rub; but then they are boat anchors. If Formula can get the R1s to retract with greater reliability I'd buy them again..
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I looked at the R1s too. No bite adjustment was the dealbreaker for me (that and the astronomical price, even compared to XX).

My XX brakes (with 185mm rotors) are easily powerful enough for my trailbike. They survived Bootleg Canyon a couple of weeks ago without a problem.

mtbr member
    Explaining the graph below which are the results of a comparison test done by german BIKE magazine (issue 12/09):
    The power got measured at 80 Newton handforce. All brakes equally.
    While that is interesting, that is some of more useless then usual set of numbers. Most disk brakes will lock up your wheel if you squeeze it. The only important thing is how easy it is to control it and how easy it is to setup and maintain.
    Could be important to limpy wristed individuals I guess.

Performance wise I will take Shimano XT over Formula and Avid any time of the day. Just an individual preference of brake feel - and ease of adjustment; they are all strong enough. Unfortunately, they are on the heavy side. Ergonomically, the last generation of dual control is the best shifting/braking interface I have tried so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    According to Mountain Bike mag test RX are slightly better then Hope Race X2 and a lot cheaper. Could that be true?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Only REAL riders like Nino compare charts and graphs lol

What a tool!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All the current Formulas seem to have good power. The Hope's are more of a 'feel' brake than great power....and this extends all the way through the range. To get a solid XC race brake you have to buy a Hope designed for trail riding etc.

An aside - how many of you with more recent R1's have issues with dragging pads....I'm in the same issue with regards to choice of R1 vs XX.......I'll run the Hope 2 piece rotors with whatever brake I buy.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Complete Front- 293.0
    Compete Rear- 324.0 (Including IS adapter and mounting bolts. Would be 317.5 if the rotor was the proper weight.)
    I liked the XX brakes so much, I got another set for my FS. So here's another data point:

Front+clamp+mounting hardware = 187.5g
    rotor = 97.5g
    rotor bolts = 7.5g

Rear+160mm bracket+mounting hardware = 223.5g
    rotor = 97.7g
    rotor bolts = 7.5g

Complete Front = 292.5 grams
    Complete Rear = 328.7 grams

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    While that is interesting, that is some of more useless then usual set of numbers. Most disk brakes will lock up your wheel if you squeeze it. The only important thing is how easy it is to control it and how easy it is to setup and maintain.
    Could be important to limpy wristed individuals I guess.
    For anything but downhill I think you are right, but with so much breaking in downhill the force required to brake is a huge factor.

mtbr member

Jagwire RX Lite Pads

I'd just like to share some info: For anyone looking for a little more power out of their XX brakes, replace the stock pads with the Jagwire RZ Lite pads. Once they were bedded in, it was moderately easier to do a nose wheelie. Hopefully wet weather performance is better, also.

mtbr member
    I'd just like to share some info: For anyone looking for a little more power out of their XX brakes, replace the stock pads with the Jagwire RZ Lite pads. Once they were bedded in, it was moderately easier to do a nose wheelie. Hopefully wet weather performance is better, also.
    Bholwell, I performed the same surgery when I got my Formula RX brakes just over a month ago. I got the Jagwire RedZone aluminum backed pads for the R1/RX/The One and they have SICK amounts of power in the standard 160mm size. These are easily the most powerful brakes I have used so far and I have used the XX, CRs, Magura Martas, Elixer Rs, BB7s, XT, XTR, SLX, etc in various rotor sizes. As you can see, I heavily modified my RX brakes with a 100% titanium fastener bolt upgrade, the aluminum backed pads and some red vinyl dye for the cable hoods...

Those Jagwire pads make a very noticeable difference from stock and they are not expensive at all if you look around for them. I got mine from EBikestop.com. The Jagwire hose fitting kits also worked perfectly with my Formula brakes when I trimmed the hoses. The same hose kit works for R1/RX/The One too.

Sorry to stray off topic, but I was pretty excited about these brakes and the Jagwire aluminum backed pads. I'll make a separate thread about the pads with some weights as well later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid XX Brakes-sdc10424.jpg  

Xtr=x0ē
    May 2010
    Just a question, does these brakes suck balls like the rest of the XX line and all Avid products in general?
    D8 is now off the hook.

xx = xtrē
    Quote Originally Posted by alivio
    Just a question, does these brakes suck balls like the rest of the XX line and all Avid products in general?
    You seem pretty close minded, do you aproach everything with such a negative perception.

What kind of drivetrain do you run on your bike that justify bashing the entire XX line that you probably have never even tried for more than 10 minutes?

mtbr member
    I agree, completely unwarranted statement. If you like fast shifting, you can't beat XX.

mtbr member

I have been running these for a month or so now. I was having some issues with the brakes and I narrowed it down to the avid pads. These pads fixed it and they stop better as a bonus. The only problem is they are "semi-metallic" and avid requires you use organic only. I don't see any problems with using them unless you are like 300lb and doing lift access riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    I agree, completely unwarranted statement. If you like fast shifting, you can't beat XX.
    Do XX shifters get multi-release, like XTR? Recent X9 and X0 triggers I have tried did not impress me from ergonomic standpoint.

Xtr=x0ē
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakarina
    You seem pretty close minded, do you aproach everything with such a negative perception.

What kind of drivetrain do you run on your bike that justify bashing the entire XX line that you probably have never even tried for more than 10 minutes?

It depends, usually its the superior Altus, Acera X or Alivio line, sometimes its str8 xtr, sometimes its crap sram ****, too bad I had to pay for it.

The xx line is my first nominee to the "idiot invention of the decade" award, its right up there with 12k carbon frames, hollow pin chains, all carbon 37 gram saddles, 16 spoke wheels, aluminum rotors, hybrid caramic bearings, external BB bearings (this one takes the cake) and so on.

Sram should have continued making their grips shifts, and only concentrated on that since thats the only thing that they make thats good. And possibly the BB7 brake caliper, Iīm getting it so I hope this an excepction.

Regarding all Avid hydro brakes, these have to be worst **** you can possibly buy today judging from reading the forums, with all their problems, wheter it is manufacturing or design or both, its pure ****, best avoided at all costs. Avid sucked 10 years ago and it still does, now harder then ever.
    D8 is now off the hook.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Regarding all Avid hydro brakes, these have to be worst **** you can possibly buy today judging from reading the forums, with all their problems, wheter it is manufacturing or design or both, its pure ****, best avoided at all costs. Avid sucked 10 years ago and it still does, now harder then ever.
    Total bullsh1t! Don't bother even to read it. I'm using Avid XX brakes for several months now and all I can say about them is that they are great! Great weight, great modulation, easy to service, no complaint whatsoever.

mtbr member
    It depends, usually its the superior Altus, Acera X or Alivio line, sometimes its str8 xtr, sometimes its crap sram ****, too bad I had to pay for it.

The xx line is my first nominee to the "idiot invention of the decade" award, its right up there with 12k carbon frames, hollow pin chains, all carbon 37 gram saddles, 16 spoke wheels, aluminum rotors, hybrid caramic bearings, external BB bearings (this one takes the cake) and so on.

Exactly. The pinnacle of component group design had been achieved in 1996, with 950 XTR group. It has been all downhill from there.

Xtr=x0ē
    May 2010
    Total bullsh1t! Don't bother even to read it. I'm using Avid XX brakes for several months now and all I can say about them is that they are great! Great weight, great modulation, easy to service, no complaint whatsoever.
    Dude If you didnīt want anyone to read it whu the fvck did you quote it, it just makes it 1000% worse donīt you get it?

What you are decribing seems to be a fluke in the neverending sucktastic Avid world, congrats!!! Keep em. Get some lottery tickets too.
    D8 is now off the hook.

Xtr=x0ē
    May 2010
    Exactly. The pinnacle of component group design had been achieved in 1996, with 950 XTR group. It has been all downhill from there.

HAHA I had probably 1/3 of the components in that picture, and they were ass kicking at the time.

Those Vīs were the shizzle and so were the levers. The RD were like 3951ģ better then any sram **** has ever been.
    D8 is now off the hook.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    HAHA I had probably 1/3 of the components in that picture, and they were ass kicking at the time.

Those Vīs were the shizzle and so were the levers. The RD were like 3951ģ better then any sram **** has ever been.
    I had that XTR seatpost once, but the Easton Tubing was so thin it scared me. I had to return it and get a Thompson instead and I think I saved money with the swap.

The XTR V-Brakes are still awesome, not particularly light though.

Hi.

Three of my bikes are equipped with full XTR M-950 stuff...The best bang-for-the-buck (used) out there, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    How have these pads been working out? I picked up a set of XX brakes's and am disappointed with their performance relative to my Elixer R's, so I'd like to try these pads if they helped and have proven to be durable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
    How have these pads been working out? I picked up a set of XX brakes's and am disappointed with their performance relative to my Elixer R's, so I'd like to try these pads if they helped and have proven to be durable.
    Very nice. I recently built up a new 29er with new XX brakes, and before I even assembled the brakes onto the bike I swapped out the pads to the alloy-backed Jagwire RZ's.

If you get the new pads, clean your rotors also when you swap them out. It'll make the bed-in process faster/better.

mtbr member
    Ditto. Mine have been flawless. I also am putting together a 29er with xx brakes and I have the jagwires ready to drop in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

xx vs r1

Quote Originally Posted by Boralb View Post
    This is the earlier test results of bike mag.

I use elixir cr's for now and planning to get my xx brakes soon.. I was thinking of R1's before, but after seeing some oil leakage problems and rotor rubbing issues i forgot them..

There's no clamps on the xx's levers-- be consistent!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcodeluca View Post
    There's no clamps on the xx's levers-- be consistent!
    He wrote that at the end of the original post

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    sorry

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    I'll try to summarize:

-------------------------Elixir CR---------XX
    Rotors---------------All steel G3-----steel/Al
    Hardware-----------all steel-----------all Titanium
    Levers---------------Carbon fiber-----lighter carbon fiber
    Caliper Body------Aluminum-------Magnesium
    Lever Body--------Aluminum--------Magnesium
    Pads----------------Sintered-----------Al backed Organic

Also, the lever adjustment knob is eliminated on the XX, which relies solely on a small allen screw under the lever for adjustment. The colors are different, and the XX brakes are compatible with the XX matchmaker clamps (which is only useful if you're running XX shifters).
    Where does the CR Mag, XO, and Elixir 9 fit into this, is the CR now the elixir 9?

Too confusing, especially because almost all of these can be bought used for around $200 a set (XX's a little more).

Weight aside, is there that much of a performance difference between these?

mtbr member
    Nice job reviving a long dead thread with one of the posters having been banned since. Sorry cant answer any of your questions

mtbr member
    Nice thread and timing. In the market for new brakes as my xtr's suck. Couldn't agree more with the m950 groupo. Sick and tired of the new stuff and all the prices are out of control. You can't buy like one single bike part or accessory for under $30.

mtbr member
    What problems have you had with the XTR's? Mine have been flawless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17 View Post
    What problems have you had with the XTR's? Mine have been flawless
    mine are about five yrs old. but plagued w/sticky pistons more than anything. but also bad braking power even after putting up new pads and rotors. tried re-bleeding couple of times to no avail.

Members who have read this thread: 0