Any advice or input?- Mtbr.com
    Faller - Expert Class

Any advice or input?

Hello all,

Please excuse my newbish questions, but I keep comin back since I really do get great advice in here!

Just wanted to know if this budget-minded drivetrain setup will work on my current Salsa Bandito project, or if I will have any issues.

Dura-Ace CS-7700 12-27 cassette, Dura-Ace FD-7700 braze-on front derailleur, FSA Carbon Pro 44-32-22 crankset w/ 68x113 ISIS bottom bracket, '06 Sram X0 long cage rear derailleur, and a KMC X9 SL chain.

I already have the rear derailleur, and I understand the crankset is pretty straightforward. I'm just basically clueless when I start incorporating the roadie components into the mix. Was wondering if I need to run a 10-speed chain, since I thought I heard that the roadie chains are narrower, but I could be wrong. If the front derailleur is an issue, I may just go with a XTR FD-M952 bottom pull.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

What Would Happen?
    'budget-minded'? You're off your head Looks as though it should all work to me. What shifters are you going to use? That might be the problem.
    Last edited by spuddy; 01-07-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    five minutes to live

Faller - Expert Class

Somewhat budget-minded, I guess...

This was the setup I was thinking of going with rather than the whole Power Arms Pro setup with Boone rings, yada yada yada.....lol. I know that budget-minded and weight-weenie are at the total opposite ends of the spectrum, but....

BTW, sorry I forgot to mention the shifters. I already have the '06 X0 grip shifters.

Thanks again for the input!!
    2006 Kona Leroi

well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

What Would Happen?
    Hah, i guess compared to that it is kinda budget. I just read it and saw DuraaceDuraaceCarbonetc.

I think it should be fine. Its just mixing SRAM and Shimano derailers and shifters that can cause hassles, but apparently the X0 shifters work fine with Shimano front derailers.

You should only need a 10-speed chain with a 10-speed cassette, as the cogs are closer together and hence the chain needs to be skinnier.
    five minutes to live

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think your BB is too long to use that DA 7700 front derailleur. You might run into problems.

A 10-spd cassette would need a 10-spd chain but you can run a 9-spd or 10-spd chain on your 9-spd cassette. Although I've used an X10 chain on a 12-27 9-spd DA cassette and am not entirely convinced that there is no degradation of shifting performance compared to a 9-spd chain.

I raced 12-27 off-road mainly for the weight savings but I feel overall that it hinders rider improvement. Yes, the closer spaced gears may be beneficial for those with weaker legs on long, steady climbs but you have to shift far too often not only on the back but also up front which is even worse. Also, the ability to pedal with a wide cadence range is much more important in MTB than on road because of the quick changing terrain and the fact that sometimes you are not able to pedal constantly in technical areas. But after you ride with a 12-27 for a while, your legs become far too picky/ less versatile/ dependent on being in the perfect gear. Think of it as sacrificing torque for horsepower. Now for cars (or road biking), I'm more partial to horsepower but for MTB, you need to be more like a diesel! Anyways, I've gone back to MTB cassettes. The benefits more than outweigh the extra 60-70 g of weight penalty.

Faller - Expert Class

Good job! Input...

[QUOTE=eurorider]I think your BB is too long to use that DA 7700 front derailleur. You might run into problems.

A 10-spd cassette would need a 10-spd chain but you can run a 9-spd or 10-spd chain on your 9-spd cassette. Although I've used an X10 chain on a 12-27 9-spd DA cassette and am not entirely convinced that there is no degradation of shifting performance compared to a 9-spd chain.QUOTE]

Thanks, everyone, for the help. Eurorider, the BB was one of my main concerns also, so I may just end up going with a bottom pull XTR-M952 if I can find one. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on ol' faithful.....eBay! I was looking for a new one, but that's looking pretty near impossible now.

For the 12-27 vs. 11-32, thanks for the input on that also. I'm running an 11-32 on my Kona right now and like it, but was looking for the Dura-Ace 12-27 for, what else, weight savings! But if it turns out to actually hinder on improving my riding skills, it's not THAT important.

Thanks again everyone!!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Faller - Expert Class

BTW Eurorider...

I just checked out your site and skimmed through the part on making the carbon frame. Nothing short of amazing!!! You can bet I'll be reading that page over and over and over....etc. I've always been curious what would be involved in making a carbon frame.

Awesome site you have there! Nice pics too!

2006 Kona Leroi

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh, it's not my site but I agree, he's making some very cool things

I'm currently testing a prototype of the BME S70 saddle assembly.

Faller - Expert Class

Ah, I see now!

Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    Oh, it's not my site but I agree, he's making some very cool things

I'm currently testing a prototype of the BME S70 saddle assembly.
    Gotcha....that saddle/post assembly is pretty sweet. How's it working out for you so far?
    2006 Kona Leroi

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So far so good but that's all I'm saying for now

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The Shifters won't work with the RD...

SRAM X.0 Shifters use a 1:1 ratio, where as Shimano RD use a 2:1 ratio of cable pull. You need to use SRAM Rocket 2:1 shifters or a SRAM 1:1 RD.

Unless there is a cable routing trick that i don't know of, you are out of luck.
    Go full SRAM Shifters and RD. Waay better shifting than Shimano's 2:1 style epsically in any type of bad weather.

I love Shimano and have no distaste for them as some people do, but after being on a SRAM drivetrain your 2+ yrs now, I am conviced they have Shimano BEAT when it comes to RD. Now if you like Shimano STI for MTB's then using there RD is sweet and the shifting is really nice on a fukll Shimano DT. I also feel that SRAM's triggers are now up to par if not better than Shimano is that style. STI is nice if you like the fell though...

I am a GS rider and will be for a long time.....

OT: I am looking foward to see what SRAM road system will be like.....
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Faller - Expert Class

Derailleurs and shifters...

[QUOTE=DIRT BOY]SRAM X.0 Shifters use a 1:1 ratio, where as Shimano RD use a 2:1 ratio of cable pull. You need to use SRAM Rocket 2:1 shifters or a SRAM 1:1 RD.QUOTE]

Sorry, this is most likely my fault for not explaining this better. I have the '06 X0 rear derailleur in long cage to go with the '06 X0 grip shifters. I was looking at the Shimano front derailleur options since the Sram X-Gen front derailleur is a boat anchor as far as us weight weenies go!

Thanks again Dirt Boy and everyone else!

2006 Kona Leroi

Faller - Expert Class

Great to hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    So far so good but that's all I'm saying for now
    Sounds good! I totally understand! Keep me "posted"!! It seems like a sweet setup and I'm curious about the price when it goes up for mass production/sale.

Thanks!

2006 Kona Leroi

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Whopps I mssied the X.0 RD part...

but Long cage RD are not optimal for 27T cassette. Should look of r a med or better yet a SC RD. faster, crisper shifting.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

What Would Happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    but Long cage RD are not optimal for 27T cassette. Should look of r a med or better yet a SC RD. faster, crisper shifting.
    Will he run into strife with a short cage rear mech and a triple on the front?
    Geez, i knew there was a reason i was a singlespeeder
    five minutes to live

Faller - Expert Class

Thanks Dirt Boy...

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    Thanks for the advice on the rear derailleur with cassette combo! I'll check those out, and maybe exchange my long cage X0 for a medium or short.
    2006 Kona Leroi

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The long cage is a few grams heavier but can anyone explain to me how it shifts slower or less precise? I have been told there is no difference.

Faller - Expert Class

Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by spuddy
    Will he run into strife with a short cage rear mech and a triple on the front?
    Geez, i knew there was a reason i was a singlespeeder
    I know what ya mean! This being the first bike I build up from scratch pretty much has my head spinning right now. Just added a thing to do during tomorrow.....must exchange long cage rear derailleur with mid cage model, which is cool, cuz now I get the model with the blingin' carbon cage!

Can't thank everyone enough in here for helping out! Sure beats calling the bike shop every five minutes!!

2006 Kona Leroi

Members who have read this thread: 0