Amp B3 & B4 rear shock question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Amp B3 & B4 rear shock question

I know some of the weight weenies have experience with AMP frames so I thought I should ask here. I have a newer B3 with a risse genesis but I would like to know if the shock will fit a B4. The Risse website has drawings of both and they look vitually identical. Is there really a difference in the B3 and B4 Genesis shocks?

t2p
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    I know some of the weight weenies have experience with AMP frames so I thought I should ask here. I have a newer B3 with a risse genesis but I would like to know if the shock will fit a B4. The Risse website has drawings of both and they look vitually identical. Is there really a difference in the B3 and B4 Genesis shocks?
    ? Suggestion ? Email or call (Brian ?) at AMP.
    btw: I'm (casually) looking for a Risse Genesis for my Obed/FS (with Amp B3 rear).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by t2p
    ? Suggestion ? Email or call (Brian ?) at AMP.
    btw: I'm (casually) looking for a Risse Genesis for my Obed/FS (with Amp B3 rear).
    There was a brand new one on ebay ending today. It didnt sell yet because the reserve wasnt met. Im sure the guy will have it up again. I couldnt live without my Risse for my B3.

t2p
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    There was a brand new one on ebay ending today. It didnt sell yet because the reserve wasnt met. Im sure the guy will have it up again. I couldnt live without my Risse for my B3.
    How much/high was the high bid ?
    I would probably be with you (could not live without the Risse) - if I rode more often. I planned to get a Risse immediately after I completed the buildup of this Obed/FS (years ago) - but never got around to it. Plus, my AMP damper was working relatively well - and it had a Ti spring installed ..... so I thought I would get some time out of the OEM setup.
    I have heard the Risse will 'tighten' the rear end (due to the larger diameter shaft of the Risse compared to the AMP damper shaft). The AMP seatstay brace is installed - but the addition of the Risse would probably also be an improvement. One of these days I hope to get a Risse.
    btw - I tried to remove the stock AMP damper and had a heck of a time ...... before I stopped ........ ???
    btw2 - maybe I'm (now) in the minority ..... have not had a chance to ride any of the more recent suspension designs ..... but I'm a big fan of the B3 and similar designs. Simple, effective, and lightweight. Not for a clydesdale or pounder however.
    Last edited by t2p; 08-31-2005 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Here is a link to the auction. I was going to bid just to have a backup but the price went higehr than I hoped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

AMP B-3 Shock Mods

If you are not a real agressive rider you can make a BIG improvement in the relaiblility and performance of the OEM B-3 shock (which has more travel than the aftermaket shock) by substantially opening up (and/or adding additional holes) the passage that lets the compression pressure go through the pistion when the O-Ring moves into the compresssion position. I have also had some special springs made that are a little lighter than the stock light spring AND do NOT coil bind. Thus giveing more travel than with the stock spring. This is a nice set up for a trail rider that doesn't do jumps, etc. in that it makes for a MUCH more plush ride and great reliability.

Send me a note at samgailjones@verizon.net if you need more info.