Aluminum bolts- Mtbr.com

Thread: Aluminum bolts

mtbr member

Aluminum bolts

Figured this may be the best section to ask in, since I know some people have replaced bolts with aluminum ones for weight savings. I am not really after the weight so much, I just want to pick up a few anodized bolts as highlights on my bike.

I am trying to find out which ares are NOT suitable for aluminum bolts.

So far, I have some aluminum ones for the water bottle cages, the brake levers, and the disc brake calipers to mount them to the frame/fork.

I was looking at getting some for the stem (particularly the faceplate), and also for the sliding dropouts on my bike, but I wasn't sure if those areas would put them under too much force?

ups and downs
    Not the faceplate, if one of those breaks you could be in big trouble. Race Face warns against swapping out the high strength steel bolts to Titanium on their original Deus stems as they aren't up to the stress, so that should give you a head's up on the amount of stress that can be involved. Anything that doesn't involve high sheer loads or high tension loads can be OK for alloy bolts.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks for the info! Darn, even Ti isn't up to the job. That was my second choice (since I found some gold Ti bolts). Sounds like I should stick with the stock Thompson bolts.

Will aluminum/alloy bolts be ok for mounting a disc brake caliper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Great, thanks for the info! Darn, even Ti isn't up to the job. That was my second choice (since I found some gold Ti bolts). Sounds like I should stick with the stock Thompson bolts.
    Actually a lot of people do use Ti on their stems without issue. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Will aluminum/alloy bolts be ok for mounting a disc brake caliper?
    Most people use Ti, but you'd probably be OK with aluminum.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Most people use Ti, but you'd probably be OK with aluminum.
    I wouldn't use aluminum on a stress place like this.
    If you don't care that one day they can snap, go on, otherwise take titanium.

Members who have read this thread: 0