alloy stem bolts and brake boss bolts??- Mtbr.com
    120 pounds of xc sex!

alloy stem bolts and brake boss bolts??

where can i get alloy stem bolts and brake boss bolts (i dunno what they are called, but they hold on the v-brakes to the bosses)

im using the bolts that come with the Avid 5s, so probably heavy, and the stock stem bolts from a "feather" series supergo brand stem

thanks
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Boj

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    where can i get alloy stem bolts and brake boss bolts (i dunno what they are called, but they hold on the v-brakes to the bosses)

im using the bolts that come with the Avid 5s, so probably heavy, and the stock stem bolts from a "feather" series supergo brand stem

thanks
    You need titanium bolts for your stem and aluminium for brake canti bolts and you have to figure out what size (for canti bolts its M6 x 10, don't know for your stem).

The cheapest place to get them is Redmist, www.titaniumfasteners.com. I got mine at www.racebolts.com. Racebolts are slightly more expensive but have better selection of bolt types and colors.

120 pounds of xc sex!

for the canti bolts, is this the size?

M6-1.0 Bolt 10mm TSHCS blue Aluminum (from www.titaniumfastners.com)

Also, what about the crank bolts, on both sides, and the chainrings bolts?

i hope to lose like 60 grams doing this stuff, seems a little crazy....haha

>Ankur<

Just passing through....

M6 x 15 should be the Canti bolt size.

Crank bolts depend on what bottom bracket you have

Chainring bolts are pretty standard, but unfortunately you can't get them from Redmist.
    I prefer the FSA Torx chainring bolts, but Cambria bikes has a pretty good selection.

Also, contact Trevor Maybee, he should be lurking around here somewhere. He can get Ti brake bosses (the bosses themselves, not the bolts). If he doesn't respond here, I can get you in contact with him.

Whatever you do, do not order from SRP. They charged my credit card $13.25 without my knowledge for shipping on a couple of small aluminum bolts. Then they wouldn't answer my emails nor return my phone calls.

I can't say enough good things about Pete over at Redmist. Very good customer service.

Also, check out Nino's bolt tuning article, tons (or grams ) of info on bolt tuning:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=16

You should be able to knock 60 grams off, no problem. I've done probably twice that.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 06-22-2004 at 05:09 PM.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

120 pounds of xc sex!

hmmm

i just read that article about the bolts, and the "just remember section" which was reallly intersting

"Titanium is about 1/3 lighter than steel.
    Aluminium is 1/3 the weight of steel and ˝ the weight of Titanium.
    Carbon is about ˝ the weight of aluminium"

I was thinking Ti was lighter in small pieces than AL, but i guess i was wrong, its the way its manipulated.

huh

>Ankur<

Mar 2004

3 decades later, alloy bolts are still a dumb idea

yeah yeah back in the 70s Arnold alloy bolts were all the rage, ask yer dad if he road then. they used to break and hurt people. and that was on road bikes, ridden on smooth pavment. I shudder at the thought of aluminum bolts attaching important parts like stems, seats, cranks, etc. to a mountain bike. alloy brake bosses are fine, but aluminum bolts in anything that attaches anything else to a bicycle is just stupid. the slight weight savings of alloy crank bolts is not worth the hassle, when you want to snug your crank, something you should do after every couple of rides, you have to remove the alloy bolts, thread in ones that won't break when you torque them (steel), torque on them, remove them, then thread in the alloy bolts and carefully tighten them gently, hoping you don't tighten them a little too much so the heads bust off leaving the bolt stuck in your spindle. dumb idea, roundly discredited decades ago.
    I've got a bunch of alloy crank bolts out in the shop, come to durango and I'll give them to you.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    I use alu everywhere and no problem.

I weight 69kg.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    yeah yeah back in the 70s Arnold alloy bolts were all the rage, ask yer dad if he road then. they used to break and hurt people. and that was on road bikes, ridden on smooth pavment. I shudder at the thought of aluminum bolts attaching important parts like stems, seats, cranks, etc. to a mountain bike. alloy brake bosses are fine, but aluminum bolts in anything that attaches anything else to a bicycle is just stupid. the slight weight savings of alloy crank bolts is not worth the hassle, when you want to snug your crank, something you should do after every couple of rides, you have to remove the alloy bolts, thread in ones that won't break when you torque them (steel), torque on them, remove them, then thread in the alloy bolts and carefully tighten them gently, hoping you don't tighten them a little too much so the heads bust off leaving the bolt stuck in your spindle. dumb idea, roundly discredited decades ago.
    I've got a bunch of alloy crank bolts out in the shop, come to durango and I'll give them to you.
    Ever heard of a Torque wrench? Don't listen to him (except the part about stems and seatclamps). He's going from thread to thread trolling.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 06-22-2004 at 07:04 PM.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    please

all the little boys in the classroom:

stand the hand all the ones who have used alu stem bolts

I can´t see lot of hands out there. Is this the weight weenies forum or what is this?

Da Fire Medic, have you tried it? did the bolts break and you crashed?
    If you haven´t tried alu bolts on stem don´t say they´re bad.

I use them on my two bolt seatpost (ala thomson) and on my azonic two bolt stem. Both are M6. I´m still alive. I´m sorry.

"Deal next time, DA DA..."

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLóL
    please

Da Fire Medic, have you tried it? did the bolts break and you crashed?
    If you haven´t tried alu bolts on stem don´t say they´re bad.

I use them on my two bolt seatpost (ala thomson) and on my azonic two bolt stem. Both are M6. I´m still alive. I´m sorry.
    Easy there Malol, Did I condemn you for it? I've have many Al bolts on my bike. But my personal opinion is that I do not feel it is worth the risk at those particular points on a bike. You seem to get awfully defensive anytime someone does not share your personal opinion on the matter. They may indeed hold up under the load. But the fact of the matter is that if I'm wrong, I'm only carrying 5 or 6 grams of unneccesary weight. If you're wrong, you end up in the hospital. I choose the first option. If you want to use Al stem bolts, go right ahead, I'm not your caretaker.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    Yeah

the problem is that i think the one who goes trolling from thread to thread is your mother...

just my opinion

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLóL
    Yeah

the problem is that i think the one who goes trolling from thread to thread is your mother...

just my opinion
    Classy comment, but is that what this is all about? Did you think I said that about you? If you check back a couple of posts, you'll see that it was BulC that I was commenting on, not you. He was the one in the quotes, and he was the one going from thread to thread making ignorant comments. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a flame war.

Jan 2004

Titanium Bolts

Hi there. I do have Ti brake bosses in several sizes. I also have a stock of Ti bolts now. I will be taking out a classified and listing the items up once I can get a pricutre of everything.

You can contact me off the forum at jimvaughn101 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com

Thanks,
    Trevor

mtbr member

Been using aluminum...

bolts successfully since the beginning of the year. However, like many others that post here, titanium is the choice for seatpost clamp, saddle clamp and stem. Oh - attaching disc rotors too. Anywhere there is significant stress. Everywhere else use aluminum.

ballbuster

Yep, M6

and measure the bolt that is in there for the shank length to get your M6x15 or whatever.

I just bought a buttload and did a lot of my bike with spares for around $30 from titaniumfasteners.com. They have killer service, I must say.

I did my levers, front deraileur clamp, shifter and brake cable clamps, top cap bolt, seatpost clamp bolt (my seatpost clamp doesn't need to be too tight to keep the seatpost from sliding in the frame), seatstay to shock mount bolts (thinking of swapping back to steel here, cause I worry about those), shock collar (not stressed), and my replaceable deraileur hangar bolts. I bought bolts for my stem clamp, but have not worked up the nerve to use them. I have a Titec stem with a four bolt bar clamp gripping a carbon flat bar, so each bolt does not have to be too tight. It also seems that the alu bolts are the same material as the stem, so it should be as strong, right? Like FireMedic says, prolly not worth the added risk to save 5-10 grams.

I have not taken the time to add up the weight savings, but it seems like my pile of removed bolts is pretty dang heavy, so it had to be something.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 06-23-2004 at 07:59 PM.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    . It also seems that the alu bolts are the same material as the stem, so it should be as strong, right? Like FireMedic says, prolly not worth the added risk to save 5-10 grams.
    I thought about this too. The material itself may be as strong, but the problem is that there's not as much material in the bolts as in the stem itself. They may hold, but with fatigue, etc, not worth the risk in my opinion. Failure there at speed means big trouble.