701 gram disk rear wheel...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

701 gram disk rear wheel...

I just built my self a 701 gram wheel with american classic rear disc hub 227g, ti spokes 116g, al nipples and olimpic rim 349g
    front wheel 602g, I'll post some pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limon
    I just built my self a 701 gram wheel with american classic rear disc hub 227g, ti spokes 116g, al nipples and olimpic rim 349g
    please do

ballbuster

Coolio!

I just picked up a 24 spoke Bontrager Racelite front wheel with ceramic brake surface for $30. 610 grams! I hope it isn't too noodlely! I wonder what would happen if I relaced it with Ti spokes. I have not worked out my front brake issues yet, so I have no idea how it will behave in dirt, and can't wait to find out.

I have it shoed with a Python Airlite (1st gen) and LunarLite innertube. The whole wheel feels OMFG freaky light.

My rear wheel didn't work out so well. I built up a wheel from parts I had lying around the shop. I use a Bontrager Mustang front rim (same as rear without the OSB, $1 at VeloSwap a couple years back!), alloy nipples, Shimano 600 road hub respaced to 135mm, DT DB spokes and a 'Livewrong' bracelet as a hub duster. I know that adds weight, but it makes me faster through 'Mojo Effect'. I got the idea from Aosty, who has a 29er wheel built up with a Livestrong bracelet.

It came out to 1050g! Grrrr! Oh well. I'll post a pic in a bit.

I'd love to see pix of your wheel. That oughta be off the hook light!
    Last edited by pimpbot; 10-01-2005 at 02:14 PM.

ballbuster

Dang....

I just realized that your wheel is a Disk wheel (that's what I get for skimming). 701 grams is seriously circus freak light!

I think I'm going to de-sticker the Bonti rim. The stickers are ugly, and there are so many of them.

Here are my pix of not-so-light wheels:

1238 grams for wheel, 3m strapping tape, innertube, stem cap, tire (some dirt on tire), and Ti skewer.

Last edited by pimpbot; 10-01-2005 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member

pics with bike...

bike at it's heaviest around 22 pounds with this tires
    Attached Images Attached Images

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Ti spokes with Stans

I asked 2 wheel builders about this combo when I bought my last wheel and they agreed it is not recommended. Stans rims have a tension limit of 95Kg and Ti spokes need more like 120Kg or they will fatigue rapidly.

M

Members who have read this thread: 0