2x9 possible with new shimano cranksets?- Mtbr.com
    information leafblower
    Oct 2004

2x9 possible with new shimano cranksets?

i'm currently running a 2x9 29/42 configuration on a compact drive square taper crank and want to update my drivetrain...

...anyone out there tried to run a 2x9 on any of the new shimano integrated cranksets (XT/XTR), I'm guessing that the larger 4 arm BCD and the additional BB spacing might preclude me setting up the same 29/42 with new rings on a Shimano system.

anyone tried it?
    i've got one inch, who needs more?

(wanted small or medium 93 or earlier race lite, must have bonded TT cable guides)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 95bonty
    i'm currently running a 2x9 29/42 configuration on a compact drive square taper crank and want to update my drivetrain...

...anyone out there tried to run a 2x9 on any of the new shimano integrated cranksets (XT/XTR), I'm guessing that the larger 4 arm BCD and the additional BB spacing might preclude me setting up the same 29/42 with new rings on a Shimano system.

anyone tried it?
    with the Shimano 4 arm BCD (104/64) cranks you are not able to use 29T middle ring, I guess it's impossible to make such a ring for Shimano cranks

basing on my knowledge, there is only one option for Shimano 4 arm BCD to make a 2x9 drivetrain - Extralite Octaramp 30T - as Extralite states on their website it is the only 30T ring for Shimano standard
    http://www.extralite.com/Products/octaramps_anglo.htm

I'm riding Shimano XT FC-M751 cranks with only 32T and 44T rings and 11-32T cassette, the granny is out - but it is rather the matter of the style of riding

Members who have read this thread: 0