29'er Weight Weenie (tubes, tires)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29'er Weight Weenie (tubes, tires)

I just rolled a new Paragon home and couldn't find any decent lunar light tubes for it.
    I also had trouble with WW 29'er tires.

Ideas, gents?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do you not want to go tubeless with it? That would seem to be the lightest option (and best performing).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket
    Do you not want to go tubeless with it? That would seem to be the lightest option (and best performing).
    i tried like crazy with my FS 26" bike. couldn't get it to inflate.

mtbr member

Tubeless Weight Savings Hype??

I see a lot of posts re: going tubeless to save weight. From a recent experience, converting to Stan's yielded no weight savings whatsoever. Fortunately, the other benefits from converting to tubeless are so strong that I will most likely never run tubes again.
    After using Velox, Stan's rimstrip, and 1.5 scoops of sealant, the weight of the wheel was exactly, to the gram, the same as it was pre-Stan's.
    Are other people's experiences similar?

the train keeps rollin
    Common knowledge, you can run 26" tubes.
    beaver hunt

used to be uno-speedo....
    Specialized Turbo tubes.

It's always greener
    Specialized Turbo Tubes...26x19.-2-2

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    x3 - Specialized Turbo 26" Tubes. I've even used 1.5-1.8 without problems.

ballbuster

Just use...

Quote Originally Posted by rsosborn
    I just rolled a new Paragon home and couldn't find any decent lunar light tubes for it.
    I also had trouble with WW 29'er tires.

Ideas, gents?
    26" Lunar Lites, or some other similar lite tube. Just add a bit of air before installation.

I've been running 26" lunar lite tubes on my MC29er since I got it in Jan '07. Works great, and easy to find. Not hard to change in the field, either. I even changed one in a race.

Yeah, I gotta say. I have not been super sold on the idea of tubeless. I messed with it a couple years back, and it was a PITA to get to work on my 26er bike, and it didn't work for long.

Now you have to get UST tires, or run the risk of it being not 100% reliable, and a Lunar Lite tube weighs less than a rim strip and sealant. Add to that the hassle and expense. If you do get a flat in the field, it makes for a very messy fix.

No longer 26
    By most accounts, the Bontrager TLR set up that comes on the Paragon will work pretty well as tubeless once the stsrips are available.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Tubeless slightly lighter than 26" Turbo tubes and about the same as Maxxis FlyWeight tubes, both of which I've used with massive success.

Turbo tubes are about 125g.
    FlyWeights are about 95-100g.
    1 red scoop of Stan's is 60g. Setting up a new 29er tire, I wont' use less than 1.5scoops....so 90g.

I love how tubeless feels though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    26" Lunar Lites, or some other similar lite tube. Just add a bit of air before installation.

I've been running 26" lunar lite tubes on my MC29er since I got it in Jan '07. Works great, and easy to find. Not hard to change in the field, either. I even changed one in a race.
    ok, maybe i'm an idiot. i inflated mine on a paragon 29'er, with a 26" lunar light. it literally blew after sitting in my living room for five minutes. does that sound right? maybe pinched it on install??

|i|
    bontrager makes lightweight 29 specific tubes (around 130g reported). I have been using the, with no problems, running at 30 psi for the past 3 weeks.

No longer 26
    As for tires, my IRC Mythos II fronts both came in under 600 grams. I use them on the back of my 2 29ers in the forward direction. Fairly light, good volume (not narrow like the real lightweights). very inexpensive and roll fast... Notos for the front but they were like 630 grams.

g
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Members who have read this thread: 0