29er or 650B- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29er or 650B

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

29er or 650B

I'm preparing to build a SS bike, something light, very light, and I'm looking at alternative wheel sizes. I'm not trying to start a discussion on the merits of 29er vs 650B but would like some advice or to be pointed in the right direction. What lightweight frames are out there? Wheelsets? Other components? I'm about 5'10" and 175 lbs.

How light can I expect to a single speed to be if I go the 29er or 650B route?

thanks,
    Alpha

No longer 26
    I don't think there are big differences in frame weights between wheel sizes. Sure, the stays are a bit longer but probably does not amount to much and may be offset by the shorter head tube. Might be easier to use a lighter flat handlebar to save a few grams as well. At 5-10, I'd go with the 29er. Not sure on the lightweight wheel/tire options for 650b. There are a few for the 29er now. The 08 Reba 29er sounds like it might be lighter than in the past as well.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    650B is going to be custom frames only for anything lightweight. You can go aluminum or possibly scandium custom and get a pretty light 650B frame, but it will not be cheap. Of course ti is always an option. So lightweight is possible but not cheaply.

I just got a 650B Stan's rim that weighs 370 grams, so light wheels are an option in 650B. Tires are still an issue but Pacenti will offer an XC tire soon - check the 650 forum for details. SO lightweight seems possible but you will need to wait a month or so.

I know you do not want a debate, but you must consider geometry. This really determines how a bike rides. If you know you like 26 then 650 is closer to the 26 geometry. If you really like 29 then stick with it - unless you are looking to expand your variety of rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Now that I've ridden a 650b, I'd really like to see the size supported by manufacturers.
    Like many aspects of the sport it's a personal preference as dictated by riding style and purpose. But, I really enjoyed the rides on the bike. Now to start shaving ounces.

The MTB Lab
    A 29er frame will usually weigh up to a 1/2 lb more then a 26er, plus the wheelset, tires and fork weigh a tad more. The benefits of the 29er have been written about elsewhere but I like the big wheels myself. Not a perfect set of numbers but 29er is a bigger bike period (more benefits though) so it should weigh more. How much is difficult to access.

Members who have read this thread: 0