mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2019 Canyon Dude CF 8.0 - "shaving" some weight

I have recently got a 2019 Canyon Dude CF 8.0 (see the link on Fat Bikes sub forum):

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ca...a-1094186.html

Out of 4 bikes I own, this is the first one bought as complete build, so before even receiving it, I knew I will be replacing some of the parts. Most of the components on this bike are branded "Iridium", kind of Canyon specific OEM. They were looking pretty basic and were on a bit heavy side of the scale. The weight of the stock bike (without the pedals) was on the level of 13 kg.

Here is the list of changes made:

1. Iridium seat post was replaced with PRO LT "borrowed" from my Specialized Rockhopper.
    2. Selle Italia X-Base saddle was replaced with Specialized Romin Evo Expert "borrowed" from my Rockhopper.

The above replacement cost nothing and allowed to shave 170g of weight.

Later on I got an info about winter sale of summer stuff in local sport shops and found quite good deals for many bike components. Going more towards nicer look, the following changes were made:

3. Iridium steam was replaced with Reverse Components XC steam in red-anodized version, 20g weight reduction.

4. Iridium 760mm handlebar was replaced with Reverse Componets RCC-750 Carbon bar, 166g weight reduction.

5. Canyon standard seat clamp was replaced with Reverse Components version, 15g weight saving.

6. Temporary seat post was finally replaced with the Woodman Carbon EL model, 221g saving compared to original Iridium one.

7. No-name grips were replaced with Reverse Components R-Shock Soft, this added around 40g of weight but is matching the red-anodized colors of other Reverse components (including winter pedals - Reverse Components Escape Red).

8. Front rotor was replaced with Shimano XTR model. Cheep lock ring was replace with Reverse model. Total saving on the level of 88g.

9. Steerer cap and spacers replaced with Reverse Components one. Didn't check the weight difference but expect rather no gain as plastic spacers were replaced with Aluminum ones.

All the above changes allowed to cut down the weight by 550g to slightly above 12.4 kg (without pedals). I treat it more as cosmetic change to improve the overall look (pictures coming soon).

There are also some cosmetic/performance changes to come soon:
    - Shimano rear rotor SM-RT10 to be replaced with XTR
    - Shimano brakes BR-MT200 to be replaced with SLX or XT
    - Stock Jumbo Jim 4.8 to be replaced for summer with something smaller (4.0)

I am also thinking about summer set of wheels, but it might take a while to finalize. The same way the drive train (NX Eagle) might be improved a bit once worn out.

Will update you on further updates.

Before:
    2019 Canyon Dude CF 8.0 - "shaving" some weight-picture_1.jpg

After:
    2019 Canyon Dude CF 8.0 - "shaving" some weight-picture_2.jpg

An the whole bike:
    2019 Canyon Dude CF 8.0 - "shaving" some weight-20190112_121908.jpg
    Last edited by MagicJade; 01-16-2019 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I did the fatty strippers tubeless on mine and it works great.