2008 R7- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2008 R7

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

2008 R7

I got my new candy red 08 r7 80mm mrd tpc with canti mounts, I put in on the scale and it weighs 1395 grams. Their website claims 1280. You know when you are going to put out one of the lightest forks on the market that is one of it's selling points people are going to want something close to that weight. If it's an all mountain fork then people won't fuss over 100 grams but 115 grams for this fork sort of upsets me. I was wondering what some you were getting for weight on your r7's?

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Wow, congrats on the new fork but 115 grams difference in claimed to actual?! Manitou is right out to lunch.

mtbr member
    My 80mm MRD Absolute weighed in at 1359gr. It is disappointing to see actual weights come in over claimed, but Manitou is hardly the first company to do it.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

banned

well....

this was a known fact already. i posted such weights long ago. it seems some forks are much lighter than others. there's a whole thread about the MRDs on a german WW-board with several different weights:
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=302096

the ones i got to weigh were all much heavier. the v-brake version around 1420g, even disc-only absolute versions were over 1400g...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This is not realy a fair picture U use Nino We all know that the carbon version is heavier then the others.
    Also, it is known that the absolute version is heavier too, I believe.

I must say I am a little scared now to order one. I have seen weights going from 1300 to 1395 gram.

mtbr member
    Guess I'll keep my sid wc (1300g) for a little more...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I weighed a canti/disc MRD:1320g with a 195mm steerer tube
    fab
    flyMTBfish

red-headed maniac
    Dec 2006
    wasn't it relatively accepted as fact that the MRD versions with cantistuds were actually using the lowers from the R7 elite, thus rendering them heavier?

cue v-brakes vs. disk brakes argument...onetwothreeGO
    WOO BIKES!!

Wanderer
    Where did you find one in stock with v-brake posts?!?

I've had a hard time finding an Absolute locally.

I'm about to just get a Fox because I need a replacement for my old '99 sid pretty badly.

TranceX Rider
    Mine weighs in at 1387-1388 grams... though it's a 100mm version»»»
    «««

Assuming you haven't cut its steerer tube, right? That's why it's a bit porky at that kind of weight you reported...

What sucks (for me)... the canti-mounts! GeEz, I guess they're weighing me down quite a bit @10-15 grams for both mounts! LoL! Kidding aside, I just don't like how ugly my R7 look like with those mounts! Oh, well, I'm just used to my Reba (no boss)!

Sure hope Fab (Ausable) would already embark on his mission... Can no longer wait for his update!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey Onie, my Mission has been aborted, thanks to Manitou Quality Control.
    I returned the fork. Read the entire thread.
    fab
    flyMTBfish

Maromero

A bit dissapointing

But, still one of the "lightest". 80 mm
    The studs are still on the heavy side,(will change for Ti) but not much more room for lightening it, 10 gr at the most, without sawing the disc tabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TranceX Rider
    Then that's fabulous, fab!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I was told by Manitou that there was some weight discrepancy. I think it's discrepancy when the forks vary by 50 grams either way. But when most are saying they are 100 or in my case 115 grams over then I think we are getting closer to calling it fibbing. And for the argument that it's still one of the lightest then fine but claim that weight, because I could have put my old 2000 white brothers xc4 (thats on my training bike) on and suffered only a 60 gram penalty and saved the cash. I bought the mrd to replace the skareb that bent. needless to say Manitou is not on my good side right now. I Guess that I would have felt better if I was sort of the exception but it seems that I'm in the majority and that bothers me some.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    And for the argument that it's still one of the lightest then fine but.
    I was just stating that the one I got was still one of the lightest ones I've seen posted, I agree with you that it sucks when manufacturers claim a weight that they know it's not real by any chance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    I was just stating that the one I got was still one of the lightest ones I've seen posted, I agree with you that it sucks when manufacturers claim a weight that they know it's not real by any chance.
    Opps I guess I should have made it more clear. Actually I was talking about the reply that I got from manitou they said it's still one of the lightest and I have also heard it from others in their defense. I wasn't quoting you, my bad. As for Manitou I don't want to paint a nasty picture. I had a couple of questions about the fork besides the weight. I got a speedy and helpful response so I don't want to sound like I'm picking on the reply there is nothing the guy who responded can do. Its up to (I guess quality dept) and I don't think they are going to swap me with one and I have a race next week which will most likely be a mud bath after that I'm sure that I'll be stuck with it. I guess thats life. But I did want to post my fork weight for others considering this fork based on its weight.

Members who have read this thread: 0