2006 SRAM PG990 cassette- Mtbr.com
    Alright, let's ride!

2006 SRAM PG990 cassette

Does anyone know the weight for the 2006 PG990 11-32 cassette? I am getting ready to order a cassette for my new wheelset and I am not sure if I want to go with the PG990 or an XT. I don't want to drop the extra money on an XTR cassette, for the money I think there are better ways to lose weight (like ti spindles for my egg beaters).

Unfortunately I didn't have much luck finding 20t and 30t front rings so I'm going to stick with an 11-32 cassette.

Jag
    mtbr member

I am pretty sure Larry....

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Does anyone know the weight for the 2006 PG990 11-32 cassette? I am getting ready to order a cassette for my new wheelset and I am not sure if I want to go with the PG990 or an XT. I don't want to drop the extra money on an XTR cassette, for the money I think there are better ways to lose weight (like ti spindles for my egg beaters).

Unfortunately I didn't have much luck finding 20t and 30t front rings so I'm going to stick with an 11-32 cassette.

from MHC received some new 990 cassettes in, so he may know.... if memory serves me I saw a write-up that mentioned the wt. is still above a comparable toothed XT cassette.

Jag
    Dad...isn't the word "abbreviation" being hypocritical being so long.... My 11 year old daughter.

mtbr member
    my 11-32 weighed ~5g's more than my 11-32 xt.

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    my 11-32 weighed ~5g's more than my 11-32 xt.
    How does it compare performance wise?

mtbr member
    I can't tell a difference.

It essentially comes down to whether you want a red spyder or a black one... flip a quarter. The sram was $10 cheaper, but shimano has since lowered their price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    can't comment on the 2006's but in 2005 and last few years I've gotten better performance/wear with SRAM cassettes that Shimano

Plus Red spyder==pimpin

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    weighed an 11-34 today at 305.1g
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B.
    weighed an 11-34 today at 305.1g
    Damn! The older ones were 295grams. I hope the 11-32 don't follow the same pattern...

Don't touch me!
    But didn't those older cassettes end with a 28-34t? I heard the newer ones end with a 30-34t (like shimano).
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    But didn't those older cassettes end with a 28-34t? I heard the newer ones end with a 30-34t (like shimano).
    Yes, the one I weighed was a 11-13-15-18-21-24-27-30-34
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the red spider definitely looks cool but it is heavier than XT ...you can decide what your priorities are

besides, the cheapest i've seen XT for is still cheaper than the cheapest i've seen the SRAM for ...and that's just not right when the XT is made in Japan and the SRAM in Taiwan

Members who have read this thread: 0