17lbs hardtail safely?- Mtbr.com
    Forging Elite Awesomeness

New question here. 17lbs hardtail safely?

So my KE custom hardtail currently tips the scales at 18.5lbs (pedals incl) but I'd like to get under 18lbs but still SOLID. I don't want to take chances with the more fragile component offerings available these days. That being said I weigh about 145lbs so components that might be over the line for the clydes would likely be fine for me. So here's how my ride is built at the moment with the changes that I'm considering in red. I'd like your input (ON ANYTHING)...

Frame: Custom Kent Eriksen Ti Hardtail
    Fork: Magura Durin MD100R Magura MD100SL
    Seat Collar: Extralite Ultraclamp
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 30.9 Straight 350mm
    Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Tune Speedneedle?
    Headset: Chris King 1 1/8 Ti
    Top Cap: Chris King Ideas?
    Spacers: Carbon
    Stem: FSA OS-99 100mm w/ti bolts Extralite Ultrastem OC 100mm
    Handlebar: FSA K-Force OS Flat Innolite carbon 31.8 (no barends)
    Grips: Bontrager Race X Lite foam
    Shifters: Sram XO Triggers Sram XX when available
    Brake levers: Formula R1 with Magnesium levers Formula carbon levers
    Brakes: Formula R1 w/Kool Stop organic steel-backed pads alloy-backed kool-stops if they become available
    Brake rotors: Scrub 160mm F/R w/centerlock adapters
    Wheelset: DT Swiss XRC1250 carbon with DT190 ceramic hubs
    Skewers: DT Swiss RWS Tune Skyline?
    Crankset: THM Clavicula DP
    Chainrings: Extralite Octaramp 30t/ TA Specialties 42t
    Chain: KMC X9SL
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M970Input? Sram red? Dura Ace? Campy record? BTP?
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO Long cage Sram XX when available
    Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 Evo F/R
    Pedals: Crank Bros 4ti Eggbeaters
    Cassette: Shimano XTR M970 11-34t Sram XX 11-32t when available

Help anyone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    So my KE custom hardtail currently tips the scales at 18.5lbs (pedals incl) but I'd like to get under 18lbs but still SOLID. I don't want to take chances with the more fragile component offerings available these days. That being said I weigh about 145lbs so components that might be over the line for the clydes would likely be fine for me. So here's how my ride is built at the moment with the changes that I'm considering in red. I'd like your input (ON ANYTHING)...

Fork: Magura Durin MD100R Magura MD100SL I'd go with a Lefty. I'm now on the 2009 Lefty Speed Carbon Soloair OPI, and it's 1160g not including the steerer (110-125g)
    Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Tune Speedneedle? I've been riding these for 3 years or so now, and I weigh 190 lbs, and no problems whatsoever. I even broke my KCNC seatpost once, and in the process poked a small hole though the carbon on the seat, and I still ride it every day, and no problems
    Headset: Chris King 1 1/8 Ti I've been using the Crank Brothers Cobalt SL on 2 bikes for a while. They're a bunch lighter, and I like them a lot
    Shifters: Sram XO Triggers Sram XX when available
    Brakes: Formula R1 w/Kool Stop organic steel-backed pads alloy-backed kool-stops if they become available
    Skewers: DT Swiss RWS Tune Skyline? I've been using these on both wheels on my rigid, and on the rear of my FS for 2+ years and no problems
    Chain: KMC X9SL X10SL's been working great for me for 2+ years now
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M970Input? Sram red? Dura Ace? Campy record? BTP? Campy Record on both rides with Parlee clamp on the Yeti, and shaved down OEM Campy 34.9 clamp on the rigid
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO Long cage Sram XX when available
    Cassette: Shimano XTR M970 11-34t Sram XX 11-32t when available Contrary to what everyone else is saying, I am happy with the shifting of my Nino Ti 11-34 SL cassette (175g)

Help anyone?
    See above for my suggestions in blue.

I've seriously considered the Lefty but I'm just worried about it's compatability with the custom geometry of my frame. Kent designed my frame around the 100mm Durin so do you still think a Lefty would work alright?

I'm sacrificing a ton (a bit of an exaggeration) of weight by keeping my king ti headset but it's my one piece of mojo that I take from bike to bike.

My X9SL will definietely be replaced by the X10, forgot to add that in there.

Jaker, how do you find the shifting of the record as compared to an xtr front mech? Any durability concerns?

Was also considering the recon ti cassette but I'm going to hold out to give the XX a try.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What A-C height is the frame built for? I don't remember the exact A-C height of the Lefty, but it's out there.

I can understand the whole mojo thing.

I mess around a little to get the front shifting just so using the Campy, but once it's there, it's there! I've never had any breakage problems with either derailleur.

I know what you mean about the XX. I'm also seriously considering the same, that is if they release a 10 speed twist shifter. Why the XX derailleur? Do you know for sure that there are geometry changes to the shifting knuckle? If not, the shifter will handle the differences in the gear spacing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    See above for my suggestions in blue.
    Cobalt SL -> Opium SL. Holds up fine on a long travel AM bike, about the same weight. Just has some more balls.

Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    What A-C height is the frame built for? I don't remember the exact A-C height of the Lefty, but it's out there.

I can understand the whole mojo thing.

I mess around a little to get the front shifting just so using the Campy, but once it's there, it's there! I've never had any breakage problems with either derailleur.

I know what you mean about the XX. I'm also seriously considering the same, that is if they release a 10 speed twist shifter. Why the XX derailleur? Do you know for sure that there are geometry changes to the shifting knuckle? If not, the shifter will handle the differences in the gear spacing.
    I'll have to get back to you on the AC height...

I'm still up in the air about the XX rear mech, I want to see one on the scale before I make the leap. I'm fairly certain as long as you've got the XX rear shifter you can use either XO or XX rear mechs. I think...

mtbr member
    XX rear mech has to be used with the XX shifter. No mixing XX and XO in that area.

btw, I also run a Campy record front mech and it was as easy if not easier than setting up my old shimano, and it has been solid ever since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by russya
    XX rear mech has to be used with the XX shifter. No mixing XX and XO in that area.
    I'm not in a position to dispute this statement with empirical data (I don't have the parts right in front of me to compare), but looking at the information presented on the SRAM site, it shows that both the X0 and the XX have 1:1 actuation ratios. Also, looking at the actuation cam on both derailleurs, they look remarkably similar.

mtbr member
    Well every review of the group I've read says that the new rear mech has the same ratio as the road group. Here's a quote from bicycling.com

" XX shifters and derailleurs are not 1:1 like existing SRAM 9-spd derailleurs. They use the same ratio as Red, Force, Rival. Cassettes, chains, shifters derailleurs all are interchangeable between SRAM road and XX groups. "

I personally wish it was interchangeable. I'd rather just buy the cassette and the shifter, not the new mech as well. Damn Sram and their pricey Cassette

btw, I just looked on the sram site and couldn't find anything that said that XX was 1:1, only thing I found said it was the same as the road group

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by russya
    I'd rather just buy the cassette and the shifter, not the new mech as well. Damn Sram and their pricey Cassette
    You don't need any X.X part to be able to run 10s:

My 10s - 11-32 Ti cassette weighs 168g

The 10s Shimano shifter is on the heavy side weighing 115g but paired to a 143g Dura Ace deraileur this makes for a pretty lightweight 10s setup.

Frame: Custom Kent Eriksen Ti HardtailI wouldn't go Ti except you are a retro-fan.Carbon has long passed Ti in almost every category
    Fork: Magura Durin MD100R Magura MD100SL DT XRC Carbon (1250g)
    Seat Collar: Extralite Ultraclamp Token aluminium
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 30.9 Straight 350mm Woodman Carbo EL ca. 130g
    Headset: Chris King 1 1/8 Ti Tune Bobo 79g
    Top Cap: Chris King Ideas?Tune cap+bolt 3,5g
    Stem: FSA OS-99 100mm w/ti bolts Extralite Ultrastem OC 100mm Why OS?
    Handlebar: FSA K-Force OS Flat Innolite carbon 31.8 (no barends) Why OS?
    Shifters: Sram XO Triggers Sram XX when available Shimano 10s Flatbar shifter
    Skewers: DT Swiss RWSNo DT-too heavy Tune Skyline?
    Crankset: THM Clavicula DPNot the 1st choice for 2x9. 30t is the lowest you can go which usually isn't low enough.Lightning Carbon is almost as light with much better chainring options
    Chain: KMC X9SL KMC X10SL
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M970Input? Sram red? Dura Ace? Campy record? BTP?Dura Ace 10s 77,5g
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO Long cage Sram XX when availableDura Ace RD-7900 165g (or ca. 10g with minor modifications)
    Cassette: Shimano XTR M970 11-34t Sram XX 11-32t when available 10s 11-32 Titanium 168g
    Cables: Alligator I-Links
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 17lbs hardtail safely?-10-montiert.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 08-29-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Ride Responsibly
    go ss

I forgot about cables/housing.

Cables are generic stainless and will be swapped with powercordz.

Housing is Nokon Carbon and will be swapped with Alligator I-Links

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    You don't need any X.X part to be able to run 10s:

My 10s - 11-32 Ti cassette weighs 168g

The 10s Shimano shifter is on the heavy side weighing 115g but paired to a 143g Dura Ace deraileur this makes for a pretty lightweight 10s setup.

Frame: Custom Kent Eriksen Ti HardtailI wouldn't go Ti except you are a retro-fan.Carbon has long passed Ti in almost every categoryI've done the carbon thing and so far, no regrets
    Fork: Magura Durin MD100R Magura MD100SL DT XRC Carbon (1250g)I've heard so many negative things about DT's forks. I haven't had any issues with my Durin
    Seat Collar: Extralite Ultraclamp Token aluminium
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 30.9 Straight 350mm Woodman Carbo EL ca. 130g
    Headset: Chris King 1 1/8 Ti Tune Bobo 79gAgain, the mojo thing
    Top Cap: Chris King Ideas?Tune cap+bolt 3,5g Thanks, will look into them.
    Stem: FSA OS-99 100mm w/ti bolts Extralite Ultrastem OC 100mm Why OS?Love the stiffness and feel of the OS set-up, personal preference
    Handlebar: FSA K-Force OS Flat Innolite carbon 31.8 (no barends) Why OS?
    Shifters: Sram XO Triggers Sram XX when available Shimano 10s Flatbar shifter
    Skewers: DT Swiss RWSNo DT-too heavy Tune Skyline?which is why I asked about the skylines
    Crankset: THM Clavicula DPNot the 1st choice for 2x9. 30t is the lowest you can go which usually isn't low enough.Lightning Carbon is almost as light with much better chainring options
    Chain: KMC X9SL KMC X10SL
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M970Input? Sram red? Dura Ace? Campy record? BTP?Dura Ace 10s 77,5gWhy Dura Ace over Record?
    Rear Derailleur: Sram XO Long cage Sram XX when availableDura Ace RD-7900 165g (or ca. 10g with minor modifications)
    Cassette: Shimano XTR M970 11-34t Sram XX 11-32t when available 10s 11-32 Titanium 168g
    Cables: Alligator I-LinksWill do.
    My remarks in blue.

mtbr member
    The dura ace is slightly lighter than the Campy, give or take 10g and often cheaper. Some people feel that the shimano shifts better, I just wish I had their super sensitivity to tell the difference.

Nino, I'd buy your Cassette if you had the 36t option. That's really the only reason I'm getting the XX cassette.....that and it looks dead sexy :-)

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    Here you have my suggestions.....

Fork: Magura Durin MD100R Magura MD100SL
    (Remember it doesn't have a lockout)

Token, KCNC...take your pick

At your weight I would go with a KCNC Ti Prolite, Woodman or NEw Ultimate

Good choice and if you get the alcantara version is only 87 grams

Headset: Chris King 1 1/8 Ti
    If you can handle a different brand...KCNC is making a new line of headsets that are very light.

Tune Carbon cap with Alloy bolt

KCNC Hollow (lighter than carbon) or the Delrim ones sold by Extralite

If you want to keep OS (no reason with carbon bars) How about a New Ultimate Carbon with the matching Stem to keep the cockpit all under the same brand?

Lighter but expensive.....see below on the adapters

Too expensive...and at your weight a set of Stan ZTR race will be lighter and cjeaper...you can also use regular IS discs...so no adapter

Skewers: DT Swiss RWS Tune Skyline?
    These are proably the lightest at 23 grams if you can live without a quick release type....if you do need a quick release the new Tune AC are light and really good looking.

Auch!!!! If you can affor it good...but if it will be a stretch and have to compromise on the other components you have other options that are light and a little easier on the wallet. KCNC 2X9, FRM 2X9.....do consider what Nino said, the lowest you will be able to go with the DP is 30T.

Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M970Input? Sram red? Dura Ace? Campy record? BTP?
    Take you pick here...I use a Campy record modified by BTP with their carbon clamp but a DA will be also very good

jmartpr,

I already own the bike that I spec'd, so the price of the wheels and crank are no longer an issue. They've already make the crator-sized hole in my wallet.

-I don't use the lockout on my durin race enough to justify keeping it (on this bike at least). It may make it's way onto one of my other bikes.

-Seatposts, I'm not too sure about the clamping mech of the kcnc, woodman, or NU.

Thanks for all the suggestions, these are helping a ton!

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    I weight 185 lbs and use New Ultimate and Schmolke on my bikes and so far I have great results...they do work better withe carbon rails and a little carbon paste.

Members who have read this thread: 0