06 Rockhopper. $300-$400 to spend. What to upgrade?- Mtbr.com
    T33
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

06 Rockhopper. $300-$400 to spend. What to upgrade?

Hey all,

Question for all you experts/lightweight gear heads out there.

I've got an 06 Rockhopper Comp with the following upgrades; XTR wheelset, WTB tires, and Avid BB Disc Brakes.

I ride the trails around Central Texas - primarily in Austin. Muddy slick trails, rocky steep downhills, loose stoney hilly stuff, the whole range of diverse trails.

So I'd like to reduce some weight from the ride, and I figure I'll spend about $300-$400 total.

I've looked into the reviews sections here on MTBR and found some lightweight, really affordable, and strong components that have received some great reviews. I've looked into...
    Handle bars, seat posts, stems, brake levers, cranks, and seats.

The question is... what would be the best components to upgrade/reduce weight based on 1) the greatest weight savings, and 2) my budget in mind

I'm not looking for specific component suggestions (I can search the reviews for that), but more what would be the best specific component(s) can offer me the greatest weight savings and benefits

Dig it
    Thanks for your help

meow, meow.
    What exactly WTB tires are currently on? And based on what considerations did you upgrade to them? These might be the place to start.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    If you are talking bang for your buck, you will want to look at: grips (foam titec pluto/pork rinds are very light per $ spent). Then seats (some 200 gram seats for $40 and up), maybe then look at handlebars/stems etc. If you can get away with thinner tubes like maxxis flyweights=go for it. Obviously, if you can buy lighter tires for your conditions, that'd be a no brainer. I'd avoid cranks as they can pretty much eat your entire budget.

T33
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks for the suggestions;

I'll look into some nice lightweight seats with great reviews here on MTBR,

I just picked up some heavy Oury grips - but I'm a larger guy, the ultralight foams seem best suited for smaller/medium framed riders.

Looking at picking up some EA70 mid-rise bars along with a Sette Edge stem.

Question- since I'll be upgrading the handlebars and stem at the same time...
    is there any reason why I should opt for 31.8mm versus 24.5mm?

The WTB tires I researched extensively to keep up with what the trails around here are offering; MotoRaptors front and back. happy with them until they wear out / get slashed in half

meow, meow.
    I don't recommend 100g class inner tubes... way too vulnerable and restrictive.
    I actually am a tubeless+sealant freak.

[OFF]Too bad Schwalbe and Nokian don't make tubeless versions of Ice Spiker Pro and Hakka WXC300 -- it would have been great beyond belief to ride them in the winter![/OFF]

Members who have read this thread: 0