$75 towards a 145g loss or toward the more important rotating mass- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

$75 towards a 145g loss or toward the more important rotating mass

Oh boy. Tomorrow Performance Bike is having a 20% off sale so that 'ugly' 180 gram carbon Forte post is very tempting. I'm feeling a bit guilty cuz the oem post at 330 grams works perfectly fine, and I could use the $75 for the new post (after sale and local tax) toward a new lighter rear wheel (about $300, which matters most in the weight department) or a new lighter front tire (about $55, just got into the 650b world).

I know this is mountain bike weight weenie stuff and not a major purchase like a house, it's budgeted for recreation.

Would you fork over the $$$ for the ugly light post or keep the heavy oem post which works perfectly and use the money for a much lighter rear wheel or tire?
    Last edited by danK; 08-17-2011 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Buy it and sand the graphics off.

ups and downs
    Is this the same Forte seatpost that didn't work for you because it was zero setback?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes. I thought the issue with the seatbag hitting my hamstrings was due to the straight post. In the prior week I didn't have that issue with the setback so on yesterday's ride, with the hitting, I was like "dang, the setback on the other post meant no bag/hammy interference."

Today I had the setback on and the dang hammy/seat bag hitting was there. Turns out my debit card got jammed all the way forward which made the bag square and the edges poke my hamstring.

Seat height and position were able to be spot-on with both, and now that I know the ugly carbon post's straight head is not to blame, well, the option exists. I'm pitching the seatbag anyway and going back to a jersey with pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Is this the same Forte seatpost that didn't work for you because it was zero setback?

The Cheater
    145gr is quite significant actually. I'd upgrade
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

Rod
    mtbr member
    I would choose the wheel. It means more in terms of weight. You don't like the ugly post. That is a very significant weight savings on the post though. If both are an option I would choose that.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Was at Performance for their big 20% off sale (off lowest sale price!) and went back to the carbon post. Smiled. I just can't bring myself to use it as-is or even sand and recoat. I'll keep looking for a reliable lightweight post.

But the carbon riser did come home for $62! That was about a 60 gram loss, but more importantly the rise and width are spot-on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just got back from performance. The handlebar was very nice, I'm pretty sure it's the same bar as the Salsa Pro Moto bars.

I was a little confused when I saw the seatpost, though. What was ugly about it?? It was a really nice looking seatpost, that happened to be really light! If I had a bike that needed a 27.2 or 30.9 seatpost, I would have bought it right then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's been a while since I posted anything but I seldom see weight loss and seatbag in the same sentence.

Save the money and drop the seat bag. The only thing I will add weight on my bike is a tube and co2 taped to the lower bottom tube under the bottle cage. This place has the least impact on handling. Money is in the Camelback.

For 75$ I'd buy lightweight tubes and a great light front tire (Racing Ralph 650b). I saw in another post you have Crest wheels and running tubless. So no tubes for you
    Last edited by trek551; 08-18-2011 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hilarious! Just reading velonews (scroll down at Ask Nick: Pros’ replacement parts, where to carry your stuff, carbon brake pads and more) and the seat bag fred issue came up. My first time ever using one, but it's so small and tucks away and all my repair crap is there. Never forget it. Having said that, I never forgot anything when jamming things to a jersey pocket. I digress. I'm done with the tight jersey/pocket thing and enjoy wearing lightweight wicking tshirts which have no pockets. So the $8 performancebike black seat bag is it and it easily attaches to the road/cross bike I plan to get soon.

I do have a small camelbak and I guess that could do the trick but not having someone on my back for hours sure is nice. Plus I like using a 22oz water bottle, but I guess longer rides need more than that which is where the camelbak comes back in.

From a weight weenie perspective I'm pretty minimal while still having enough crap to get back home. I will be running tubeless but I still carry a tube and pump and park glueless patch and multitool.

That post is uglier in person. The online pics don't show it. Big "PRO something" words facing forward with two sets of white lines criss crossing. I just can't do, can't.

Quote Originally Posted by trek551 View Post
    It's been a while since I posted anything but I seldom see weight loss and seatbag in the same sentence.

Save the money and drop the seat bag. The only thing I will add weight on my bike is a tube and co2 taped to the lower bottom tube under the bottle cage. This place has the least impact on handling. Money is in the Camelback.

For 75$ I'd buy lightweight tubes and a great light front tire (Racing Ralph 650b). I saw in another post you have Crest wheels and running tubless. So no tubes for you

The Cheater
    "If the issue is weight, then you are correct. Total weight of bicycle, rider, repair items, water bottles, etc., is all carried up and over whatever hill you tackle. I like to keep my pockets free of any sharp objects. I also like to have room for a vest, a phone and food. But I did come up with some possible reasons why your friends might prefer to carry repair items in their pockets:

1. That way, when my friends pick up my bike it feels lighter.
    2. The bike handles better and I have more weight to “throw around” in corners.
    3. It looks like I’m always racing. And that’s Euro cool.
    4. Seat bags chafe my delicate thighs.
    5. My repair times are faster when I have a flat.
    6. All the items in my pockets disguise my love handles."

Hillarious!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Does anyone have a review of this seatpost? At 160g listed weight and only $90 right now, this is very tempting as I'm replacing a 305g post.

The Cheater
    Hylix Offset Carbon Seatpost for Road/MTB 31.6*400mm 180gr $65 shipped.

You can cut that to 350mm and have it less than 160gr I think. And way cheaper than the ugly thing you mentioned above. Hylix's carbon is the same high modulus carbon those branded companies are using and selling for more than $150. I think they're OEM for Bontrager.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks, Veda. I've never heard of Hylix, but I guess if they are OEM for Bontrager it can't be all bad. How is setting it up (WTB Silverado saddle)? Squeaks?