$50 235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

$50 235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars

If the $330 290g Syncros Hixon SL IC bar flips your trigger, consider spending 660% less on a $50 and even lighter 235g factory-direct version.

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5697-copy.jpg

Link:
    AliExpress (multiple listings)
    Weight: 235g (80mm stem, 680mm width)
    Effective Stem Length: 80/90/100/110mm
    Rise: -17-degree
    Width:
    660/680/700/720/740/760/780/800mm
    Backsweep: -9o
    Stack: 40mm
    Material: Toray 800
    Color: 3K weave in glossy or matte, or custom paint

I mounted this bar in 80mm/680mm to my hardtail 29er and will be testing it throughout the season. It looks awesome and first ride impressions are all good!

The finish is very sleek. I went for the glossy 3K offering and have no regrets.

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5638-copy.jpg

The weight is about as light as can be expected from the Chiner market. 235g for my 80mm/680mm bar rivals the equivalent 140g BXT 680mm carbon handlebar and 90g 80mm Kalloy stem combo I also ride.

If youíre going integrated with this bar youíll have to be comfortable with -17-degree rise. There also are no integrated Chiner bars with short effective stem lengths like the Syncros Hixon, but conversely you can get much longer stem lengths than other integrated offerings on the market.

Going integrated can be scary, since youíre eliminating bar roll (and effective backsweep) and wonít be able to swap out different stem lengths. I have always ridden a -17-degree rise 80mm stem combo, so I knew this was something that would work for me. I overlaid my -17o 90mm Kalloy Uno stem with a cut 700mm (~680mm) Tideace carbon bar with -6o backsweep. There is a clear difference in backsweep, 9o as advertised looks correct. This angle feels noticeably different, but in a good way. For me, it reduces thumb fatigue by allowing my thumbs to wrap around the bar at a more natural angle.

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5585.jpg

There are two bolts for attaching a front GPS mount, but I havenít used these (and donít plan to) since I go OTB often enough that I donít want to destroy my precious GPS.

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5639-copy.jpg

A short-term solution for mounting my GPS was to install the base on the limited amount of straight tube near the brake levers, but in the long-term Iíll mount the GPS onto the top cap.

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5720-copy.jpg

The stack height of the stem is 40mm, by my best measurement, almost exactly the same height as my Kalloy Uno stem. The beefy construction at the steerer tube clamp means youíll need to tighten the bolts a little more than your average stem to achieve the same clamp strength.

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5712-copy.jpg

As a huge disclaimer, I canít find any evidence that these bars have been tested to safety standards. Based on my experience, however I can say is that these bars are rock solid and very stiff. I have owned nearly a full dozen Chiner bars from different brands and cracked three, but this one is about as stiff as I have ever had, and I mean that in a good way as it still offers a comfortable ride. That said, this isnít a Syncros or a Syntace bar, and there is no manufacturer warranty offered, but youíre also paying much, much less.

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5721-copy.jpg

Pros:

• Lightweight and stiff construction
    • Affordable price tag
    • Dialed geometry

Cons:

• Integration means no bar roll
    • No long straight tubes for mounting stuff
    • Not offered in effective stem lengths <80mm

235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars-img_5710-copy.jpg
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

Excuse the stupid question, would flipping the bar for a + rise result in wonky bar angles? I'ts impossible to discern from the limited number of photos. TIA.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Excuse the stupid question, would flipping the bar for a + rise result in wonky bar angles? I'ts impossible to discern from the limited number of photos. TIA.
    No, you can't flip this bar. First off it would look strange, but more importantly the sweep would go off at a funky angle and the resulting position would be weird.

Moderator Moderator
    Aside from the novelty aspect, what's the advantage over your other setup which weighs the same, but if far more configurable? Just for giggles? Not busting on you, but if it doesn't save a bunch of weight, I don't see the point beyond a different aesthetic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Hardtail Steel Forever
    WTF does "factory-direct" mean?

Personally if they can't properly spell size (siez) in their listing, that's a deal breaker for me, full stop.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Aside from the novelty aspect, what's the advantage over your other setup which weighs the same, but if far more configurable? Just for giggles? Not busting on you, but if it doesn't save a bunch of weight, I don't see the point beyond a different aesthetic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
    No loose stem/handlebar bolts ever, no bar roll, cleaner looks. I like it, it's a looker. Admittedly it's a conversation-starter, for those that like attention That's for giggles, I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    WTF does "factory-direct" mean?

Personally if they can't properly spell size (siez) in their listing, that's a deal breaker for me, full stop.
    It means that the product is shipping to you from the manufacturing facility, or somewhere in the immediate vicinity of the site of production.

If English isn't your first language, I'm not going to criticize you for a typo. A lot of these folks are working on razor-thin profits and have no resources to hire professional translators or proofreaders. I'd rather pay them $50 than waste my money sponsoring Syncros's marketing team, unless I'm supporting local and happen to have disposable income.

This place needs an enema
    People still use 80mm+ stems? Other than on road bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Yes, I find no need to replace a perfectly functional 9 y.o. mountain bike just to run a short stem to be stylish.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Longer stems increase reach, a crucial determinant of proper bike fit. Riders with short inseams and long torsos need long stems. Riders on short bikes may want long stems.

Formerly of Kent
    Wish this had a lower stack and larger negative angle.

Based on your pictures I donít think Iíd be able to get the bars low enough to match my current position (77mm Syntace FlatForce with 740mm flat bar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Yes, I find no need to replace a perfectly functional 9 y.o. mountain bike just to run a short stem to be stylish.

Has nothing to do with style and everything to do with comfort. But I think having that conversation with people whom want a -17* stem with 80mm+ extension might be fruitless.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Longer stems increase reach, a crucial determinant of proper bike fit. Riders with short inseams and long torsos need long stems. Riders on short bikes may want long stems.

Well aware of what and why. Also aware that bikes can be designed so that the handling isn't all mucked up with a long stem.

And also aware that many people haven't gotten this memo, and prefer their mountain bikes to feel like their road bikes.

Which is their prerogative. And also lunacy.

Carry on.

mtbr member
    Well aware of what and why. Also aware that bikes can be designed so that the handling isn't all mucked up with a long stem.

And also aware that many people haven't gotten this memo, and prefer their mountain bikes to feel like their road bikes.

Which is their prerogative. And also lunacy.

Carry on.
    Neither will a bike company take prerogative to design frames in dozens of sizes that fit everyone's geometry. That would be financial lunacy.

But I digress. Either this bar is for you or not for you, I just presented the facts for those who may be interested.

But I digress. Either this bar is for you or not for you, I just presented the facts for those who may be interested.

The digression was mine. When I wrote 'carry on', what I meant was "I'll stop mucking up your thread now...".

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    These might be a great replacement for my carbon Beargrease. I was thinking of moving from alloy to carbon for cold weather improvements. The stock stem is also short and heavy. If I get drop the weight, gain carbon bars and for a low prices, seems like a good application for these bars. It's not like I'm rallying the Beargrease hard in the winter anyways. Likely a safe substitute.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    These might be a great replacement for my carbon Beargrease. I was thinking of moving from alloy to carbon for cold weather improvements. The stock stem is also short and heavy. If I get drop the weight, gain carbon bars and for a low prices, seems like a good application for these bars. It's not like I'm rallying the Beargrease hard in the winter anyways. Likely a safe substitute.
    Yeah as long as you like this kind of geometry on a fat bike that you aren't rallying hard on. Typically a -17 degree stem would be something on a race bike, while a fat bike I might even personally run 7 degree rise. I'd also consider Kalloy stems on eBay and your bar of choice from the budget weight weenies thread. That would drop just as much weight at the same cost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah as long as you like this kind of geometry on a fat bike that you aren't rallying hard on. Typically a -17 degree stem would be something on a race bike, while a fat bike I might even personally run 7 degree rise. I'd also consider Kalloy stems on eBay and your bar of choice from the budget weight weenies thread. That would drop just as much weight at the same cost.
    So much for my reading comprehension.... I quickly scanned this morning after reading it yesterday. Was thinking this was a small positive rise. I should have slowed down as it is obvious in photos

bike rider
    You'd go OTB less often.
    Keep the Country country.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    You'd go OTB less often.

If I went otb all that often I'd agree, but.....

Sir Wreck-A-Lot
    Nov 2005
    Thank you.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What is a "chiner"?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5710 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	1241839[/QUOTE]

Not busting your setup, bar is definitely sweet! But what is with the difference in lever angle? it looks as if the non drive side is pointing almost straight down?? Ride on bro!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What is a "chiner"?
    ^
    Came in to type this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryandurepo View Post
    Not busting your setup, bar is definitely sweet! But what is with the difference in lever angle? it looks as if the non drive side is pointing almost straight down?? Ride on bro!
    Haha, optical illusion The picture was taken at a pretty strange angle but that lever does look pretty steep I'm pretty sure I've moved it up a few mm since, but I do like them low. I also dislike the GPS mount on the bars, so getting a top cap mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    ^
    Came in to type this
    It's the word my LBS mechanic uses to describe my bikes. He pronounces it with a condescending drawl: "CHyyyy-ner"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Oh, you mean a chink. I used to hear that thrown at me when I was younger. Not so much anymore. Never heard Chiner though. Does he call dark skinned people from the continent of Africa negros?

Formerly of Kent

$50 235g Chiner Alternative to Syncros Hixon Integrated Bars

Oh, you mean a chink. I used to hear that thrown at me when I was younger. Not so much anymore. Never heard Chiner though. Does he call dark skinned people from the continent of Africa negros?
    I believe it specifically refers to Chinese twenty-niner.

Meaning, an unbranded bike of Chinese origin.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Ahh, your explanation makes more sense.

bike rider
    If I went otb all that often I'd agree, but.....
    Sorry, thought you were the OP. He mentioned going OTB often and not minding the 80mm length.

bike rider
    I think it's a shortening of "China carbon". Used when speaking about a no name carbon part bought online. I just say "China carbon".

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's the word my LBS mechanic uses to describe my bikes. He pronounces it with a condescending drawl: "CHyyyy-ner"
    Ah, so it's a derogatory term...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

That's how I see it used most commonly. Not as an ethnic slur.

The site chinertown is a great resource for such parts as are plenty of threads here.

mtbr member
    Lol...this thread completely went off the rails.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    That's how I see it used most commonly. Not as an ethnic slur.

The site chinertown is a great resource for such parts as are plenty of threads here.
    Well, if all China made was 29ers, maybe, would still be a stretch IMO.