What next? Need trail suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What next? Need trail suggestions

With the end of summer quickly approaching, we are looking for a few more seasonal rides to hit while we can. So far this summer we have rode:

410 area-
    Crystal Mountain
    Deep Creek
    Palisades
    Ranger
    Suntop
    White River
    Skookum

I-90 area-

Middlefork
    Hansen Ridge
    Fruend Canyon

We have also done-
    Stevens Pass
    Tiger Mountain

Any suggestion for places to ride while we can? We tend to do 20-25 mile rides and dont mind big climbs and long descents!
    Mission Ridge/Devil's Gulch?
    Cle Elum area?

I want to get a few new rides in before we get back to the usual lowland stuff for the fall/winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do the Chikamin ridge loop. Or a loop from Maverick Saddle out to Klone Peak and Back. Lots of great loops. Check out:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5313093.pdf

There are some trip reports on loops out here if you skip over to the wenatchee outdoors forum.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice list.

What you are missing:

The aforementioned Mad Lake experience. Chik Tie heading back down is on a top 10 list for me. In that area is Basalt Ridge and Dnalrag above it... Look up reports here... Recent intel states trees down on the upper climb from the Rock Creek Trail.
    On the other side, there's Tommy and the others.
    Definately Angel's Staircase loop from Cooney Lake and back over past Boiling Lake. Maybe a Cutthroat Pass on Sunday morning.
    Starvation Mountain/Blue Buck
    Tronsen Ridge
    Esmeralda
    5 Drainages
    Miller Peak
    Jolly Mountain
    Dungeness/Gold Creek
    St. Helens trails
    Taneum Creek area
    and, more, and more....

Running out of time all around. Tick, tock.....

Not enough wekends left.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I rode Esmeralda yesterday, and it was outstanding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Little Bald was a blast a couple weeks ago! Little dusty, but very scenic!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I rode Esmeralda yesterday, and it was outstanding.
    Wha? Gimme a little notice next time.... Any trees down on DeRoux? May go over this weekend. If not, later in September.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Wha? Gimme a little notice next time.... Any trees down on DeRoux? May go over this weekend. If not, later in September.
    Sorry Bob...last minute go decision.

One tree down on De Roux, but rideable if you hit it on the right side. Parked at De Roux campground which was almost empty. Trailhead was packed, but we only saw one group of hikers on the trail. Some of the switchbacks are sketchy, but overall the trail was in good shape. Wildflowers everywhere.

mtbr member
    whoa, that looks way too much like real nature! Where are the man made "features" and the "gnar"

It actually looks like the middle part of Crystal with all the flowers and surrounding peaks. Might have to check that out!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    St Helens....up ape canyon down smith creek.

I'm so far behind this year on your already done list

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    whoa, that looks way too much like real nature! Where are the man made "features" and the "gnar"
    Not a berm within miles and miles of those trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

also...

A Ratpac and Kachess Ridge in a day is a good close matchup as well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ...only if you don't wuss out and shuttle them...
    Lynch, Esmeralda has LOTS of natural gnar we could never get at the Doof or C'nade.
    My best is 3 dabs on the back side of the saddle down into Fortune Creek. Think, a kindler, gentler but just as scary lower Palidaes... Gallagher Head Lake is awesome for a break and DeRoux back to the CG has plenty of fun pucker factor too. Make a camp of it and do Beverly/Eldorado in the morning or sucker someone into driving down to the West Fork and ride back up DeRoux to the Middle Fork spur and get a 12 mile riverside downhill with abuot 18 creek crossings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Not a berm within miles and miles of those trails

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Lynch, Esmeralda has LOTS of natural gnar we could never get at the Doof or C'nade.
    Oh yeah, lot's of gnar. You'll be pushing your bike plenty too. And some pucker factor on the switchbacks coming down off the top. Great ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, not a lot of people like Bruiser's "Jeep road from hell". Actually cleaned it once. Back when I was motivated. But, swimming in the lake is a justifiable reward.

Lynch, I'd also add a series in the Entiat with Devil's Backbone/Pot Peak/etc. Or, a road trip to the Kettle Crest if you have never been there. Great epic riding in the NE corner of WA.

Too much to do and too little time...

I5Troll
    Holy S! what an awesome list of trails pulled just from this thread...

Crystal Mountain, Deep Creek, Palisades, Ranger, Suntop, White River, Skookum, Middlefork, Hansen Ridge, Freund Canyon, Stevens Pass, Tiger Mountain, Mission Ridge, Devil's Gulch, Ape canyon (and Plains of Abe), Smith creek, Devil's Backbone, Pot Peak, Kettle Crest (Sherman Peak / Midnight Ridge / Jungle Hill, so many), Ratpac, Kachess Ridge, De Roux, Esmeralda , Basalt Ridge, Rock Creek Trail, Angel's Staircase / Cooney Lake / Boiling Lake / Cutthroat Pass, Starvation Mountain, Blue Buck, Tronsen Ridge, Esmeralda, 5 Drainages, Miller Peak, Jolly Mountain, Dungeness / Gold Creek, Taneum Creek area, Chikamin ridge, Maverick Saddle (Mad Lake), Klone Peak.

All awesome with their own unique awesomeness. Schweeeet! Actually, would be curious to see the list continue.

As a side-note... Just curious... How many have berms? If you totaled up the miles, what % would you call "bermed"? Some old ones created by motos. And some new ones created by mtb-ers.

What is it with the need to whine about berms? Enough already. Just enjoy what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy. And if you don't want berms on new future trails, there are plenty in the planning stages right now! Show up, get involved and help build 'em...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

2 EWA Options

If you want to get in pretty deep, check out Uno Peak/Safety Harbor out in Chelan. It's about 24 miles up the fireroad from Manson. The trailhead (aka "Summit Trail") for both loops is at the South Navarre campground, and you pass the exit as you're driving up about 3.5 miles from the top. You could also climb up Safety Harbor, but Summit is a fun descent so probably worth the road climb at the beginning if you're not shuttling. (There was a good deal of blowdown on the ridge traverse at the end of the Uno loop when I did it in July, FYI)

You could also do a logistically-insane point-to-point shuttle from the Uno Peak side, up over Horsethief Basin, over to either Angel's/Foggy Dew/etc. Probably take an entire day just to do the vehicle retrieval.

If you don't mind a couple hours of pushing for some unreal views and raw chundered gnar, there's Icicle Ridge in Leavenworth. Just did (most of) it for the first time on Sunday. We rode, then pushed up 5300' from the Icicle trailhead, ran out of time (and fortunately, ran into Mr. Malo who let us know we were p'cked), then got our vert back. The descent was a ripper -- super-raw and a little overgrown up top, then narrow bench-cut screaming fast down below. Ended late enough that we didn't meet any hikers at the bottom.

mtbr member
    I have two young kids and most my riding buddies have kids, so it is tough to get in all day rides. We generally start REAL early on Sunday, so the less driving the more riding we get. There are a lot of great rides that are just too far away for us to do.

I personally love all kinds of trails, but lately I've been loving high speed descents. 30+ mph with roots and rocks and all that fun stuff. Shuttle or climb, I dont care, as long as I'm out riding!

One of my fiends has been talking about riding Xanadu. Anyone been there lately? What about Christoff?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You might need to find other riding buddies with more flexible schedules and ply the boss with whatever she needs to allow you a full day off. 1 day a week or every other week isn't asking too much and you are missing a LOT without the full day option. That changes everything and wasn't noted in the OP.
    Xanadu is fun but short. You could knock it off in a couple hours or so at the most. Not worth a day trip all the way over by itself. Add Freund on the way back maybe...

I have not seen a Christoff/Huckleberry report in a while. The ridge line is a bit confusing since the trail doesn't get a lot of use. best to get someone who has ridden it before. But, once you are on it, you'll know...

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I have two young kids and most my riding buddies have kids, so it is tough to get in all day rides. We generally start REAL early on Sunday, so the less driving the more riding we get. There are a lot of great rides that are just too far away for us to do.
    Right there with you, brother! Planning the all day epics is getting harder and harder for me too. Trying to set it up with a family camping trip seems to be a good strategy...even better if you can do it with the whole ride crew.

One of my fiends has been talking about riding Xanadu. Anyone been there lately? What about Christoff?
    Oh hell yeah! If you've never done Xanadu, you should absolutely get on it. I'd bet you'd really dig it.

Xanadu is pretty short so it's worth a couple of laps and/or hitting something else out in Leavenworth or on the way home. It looks like a daunting drive, but it's an easy day trip. Probably not much further than 410 stuff from Seattle.

It's also fairly low altitude as far as things go over there so it's ridable way later than Pot Peak, etc.

mtbr member
    Last Sunday we left at 7am and got home at 7pm. Cant do that too often, but we get in some full day rides. I'd love to do one more full day ride and maybe knock out a few shorter ride. Definitely got a good list to work from now.

Slothful dirt hippie
    ...and ply the boss with whatever she needs to allow you a full day off. 1 day a week or every other week isn't asking too much and you are missing a LOT without the full day option...
    Unless BOTH of you want the same day off to ride...
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Sunday was fun. Can't do that every weekend. Leavenworth is a day trip but it can easily turn into getting back at 7pm or later. Leave at 5am isn't out of the options.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Iverson (Fat Hand)

Debating on either Esmeralda or this Adventure Trail out on the penn that is getting some good reviews...
    Last edited by Borneo; 08-29-2012 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Debating on either Esmeralda or this Adventure Trail out on the penn that is getting some good reviews...
    We have a group riding the Olympic Adventure Trail again tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I see Court's comments on FB. Unfortunately, I have no option like that on weekdays. Where is the best place to find intel on this supposed gem? OaB right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It is an out and back. 20 miles of single track from the trailhead (about 1/4 mile over the Elwha River bridge, on 112 after Y from 101, just out of Port Angeles) to the Joyce-Piedmont Rd. You can continue further on a combo of single track/service road to Lake Crescent, and beyond. When researching, make sure you search Olympic Adventure Trail. This is part of the Olympic Discovery Trail, which includes more than MTB singletrack of OAT.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cool, thanks. Another one for more than just Lynch's list. Especially if it gets a little rain today...

mtbr member
    The wife and I actually rode that trail earlier this year!
    My inlaws live next to Lake Quinault, so we drive the north route over and sometimes get a ride in on the way. I just wish this trail extended all the way to Forks. Beyond Lake Crescent I believe you ride on/next to 101, which is just asking to become roadkill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yep, thats why I specifically mention to folks that this is the Adventure Trail section, only part of the Olympic Discovery Trail. No road riding here.

mtbr member
    Hi all, time to revive this thread. I'm heading to Leavenworth area on May 10-12, to get in all day rides on Saturday, and short rides on Sunday.

I'll be staying in Leavenworth for a couple nights, and riding Xanadu/Tres Hombres/Freund on Sunday. I'm looking for advice for an all-day on Saturday, or two shorter rides.

I don't want to do DG/MR, as I've done them too many times, and the moto holes on MR were pretty bad last time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you want to get your XC on, you could ride Mad River out of Ardenvoir. Trail will probably still be snowed in approaching Maverick Saddle that time of year. You might also post to the Wenatchee Outdoor forum.

mtbr member
    Thanks, looks like a great option! Doing a quick Google search on Mad River showed that conditions might not be prime until summer?

I'd like to stay on dry trails if possible (as long as weather cooperates), and the more pucker factor, the better.

FM
    mtbr member
    Rode Mad River last season- honestly I was not impressed. Despite the recent overhaul it was in poor condition. Definitely a moto trail.

If you're looking for an alternate to MR/DG I'd look into minnow/chikamin over by lake wenatchee. sort of over the ridge from mad river. similar elevation/snow conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, those are all a bit higher up. Can't believe Sage Hills and No 2 canyon are not mentioned. And, snow free and pretty prime right now. Red Hill/Red devil in hte DG canyon may be snow free now for a short loop. CCW on that one...

mtbr member
    Borneo, do you have any more info on No 2 Canyon? A web search didn't turn up much, and G maps shows a maze of trails and roads in that area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It sounds like some of the Teanaway rides are starting to be rideable too. The upper Chikamin rides will not be snow free in mid-May. Sage Hills could be nice in mid-May; Had a great ride out there on Sunday.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Borneo, do you have any more info on No 2 Canyon? A web search didn't turn up much, and G maps shows a maze of trails and roads in that area.
    Not much, Waterslide, Road rage, and Stairway to Heaven are up in there. Stairway pops out to the right of the gate at the end of the road. Road rage is above the start of StH and Waterslide is on the other side of the main climbing road about half way up? Some of the locals may have informal maps.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's kinda interesting that all the trails are on Google maps, if you go to the terrain map.

Also have a GPS track from last weekend if you want it.

Members who have read this thread: 0