Trans Cascadia- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trans Cascadia

mtbr member

Trans Cascadia

No, I wasn't there but was very curious to see the routes (and how far my KOMs would fall, LOL)

You can read the reports and watch the videos here:
    News from the Trans-Cascadia Team — Trans-Cascadia
    with occasional quotes from Greg Minnar and Loris Vergier (he won). No shit! and I thought it was a little dinky event like Ride Oregon or something.

Day 1: (Vanson/Tumwater/Goat)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1877770311
    (not many riders were using Strava and none of the pros so I'm just using what I could find. This gal was fast!)

It's a tough route over Vanson and Tumwater. I've never done the whole loop in that direction. But they missed out on lower Goat creek and they did Tumwater in the wrong direction, of course. I can only imagine how fast they were going down Goat mt.

Day 2: (Strawberry mt)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1878373957
    They clearly did a lot of shuttling on that day. It's been ages since I rode the south end of Strawberry and I've never done the north half. I just assumed it was a lost cause. Clearly, they've done a lot of trail work for the race. I have to ride it next year!

Day 3: (Badger/Craggy peaks)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1878373969/
    I've never ridden Badger (gotta fix that!). I have done Craggy peak as OAB and it's pretty fun.
    The top guy was about 40% faster than me on the final descent. Not even funny.

Day 4: East Canyon Ridge/Sunrise peak/Juniper peak
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1878374358/
    I've never ridden East Canyon. Saw it on Trailforks. Must be a fun trail. Will check it out.
    I've ridden Juniper at least a dozen times. There is one short but very technical descent along the ridge. I thought I rode it fast since I know the trail so well. My time on that stage would have been around 3:30. Loris Vergier did it in 2:10 having never seen the trail before. Insane!

We got world-class trails here folks and you don't need to pay a fortune to ride them!

mtbr member
    Great post, thank you!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Goat/Tumwater/Vanson are some amazing trails. The out and back on Wright Meadow and Craggy Peak is one of my favorites. I’d love to ride these trails after the work they’ve done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The north end of Strawberry is my favorite ride in the G.P. The descent is awesome and the views are amazing.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Mad props, but having done only Goat mountain from east to west then down at Vanson and back up Green river.... I hurt just looking at that Strava map of day one, lol.

Very glad there's been peep out trail working though. When I was there in 2013 or so the trails were obviously in pretty rough shape, which makes sense as they're just a darn long drive from anywhere. That's a serious time and logistics commitment on someone's part, and that crew deserves some heartfelt thanks.

There is mile after mile of seriously wild and beautiful country back there. Not at all surprised to see all the "ZOMG" commentary about the views.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    FYI, The Forest Service has approved permits for a Canadian mining company to start exploratory drilling for gold, copper and molybdenum for a possible mine between Goat Mountain and the Green River. The mine location will be located near the Green River Horse Camp. I don’t know if trail access will be affected, but it’s probably safe to assume there will be some trails negatively impacted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Very glad there's been peep out trail working though. When I was there in 2013 or so the trails were obviously in pretty rough shape, which makes sense as they're just a darn long drive from anywhere. That's a serious time and logistics commitment on someone's part, and that crew deserves some heartfelt thanks.
    Here's an article summarizing the build days over the past year in the Gifford Pinchot. Last year they had a big hand in reopening the Old Cascade Crest network out between Salem and Sisters. More details about the whole reopening from BendTrails if you're interested.

The couple years before that they were working around Oakridge in Oregon, including a reopening of essentially-lost trails on Grasshopper and Chucksney as well as participating in the grand reopening of the O'Leary epic.

So yeah, they work for what they ride.

I've contemplated signing up for one of their tours/excursions (racing just isn't my thing) but I'm not sure I have the legs. Their description of race day 1 this year sounded like a whole lot of NOPE.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Thx for the links. Again: so much to thank them for... they could just have yet another event someplace easy to get in and out of, and instead they're using their resources to (re)open long lost back country routes. The amount of man hours required to pull it off is beyond anything 'normal'.

To put it in perspective, when we were down there I'd heard Strawberry Ridge had so much potential but with so many trees down everyone was saying it wasn't even worth trying, and it looked pretty scrappy even at the trailhead. Hearing that it's a possibility again is pretty exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    ...I've contemplated signing up for one of their tours/excursions (racing just isn't my thing) but I'm not sure I have the legs. Their description of race day 1 this year sounded like a whole lot of NOPE.
    LOL... that's exactly my reaction too. I don't know if my life has enough hours to even attempt training to the point where that would be possible, much less to be in any kind of shape to ride the next day.

mtbr member
    Grasshopper has already been reclaimed by the almighty bunchgrass. Not sure on all the secrecy, these trails need tires.

Bummer to hear about the mining. I was aware of it but didn't realize it was in that zone. I may try to ride that stuff before the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting! I wish these routes were revealed earlier in the year. Hoping I can convince someone to get out and ride Goat/ Tumwater. Anyone game for this Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisco.Roots View Post
    Thanks for posting! I wish these routes were revealed earlier in the year. Hoping I can convince someone to get out and ride Goat/ Tumwater. Anyone game for this Saturday?

I might be game, where would we start?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    A Cowlitz-Naches chapter of Evergreen is excellent news. These trails and the trails in the Dark Divide are just amazing but lack attention.

mtbr member
    A buddy and myself will most likely be riding Goat/Tumwater this Sat, camping and riding another one of those routes on Sunday. If you guys are riding up there Sat lemme know, would be cool to ride with some new people. Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    I might be game, where would we start?
    Looks we decided on Riding Osborne Mountain Loop just north of Goat Mountain instead starting from Big Creek Campground. PM me if you are interested in joining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    A buddy and myself will most likely be riding Goat/Tumwater this Sat, camping and riding another one of those routes on Sunday. If you guys are riding up there Sat lemme know, would be cool to ride with some new people. Cheers
    Appreciate the heads up! Headed to Osborne instead. Have a killer ride, should be epic!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    so what's your plan on those two trails? Goat Mtn. to Tumwater & down to Goat Crk. & back out to GM & out?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    so what's your plan on those two trails? Goat Mtn. to Tumwater & down to Goat Crk. & back out to GM & out?
    I think so yeah. Counterclockwise lollipop.
    More or less this guys route
    https://youtu.be/Gu04sVGxYDQ

Probably meet in Randle or the trailhead at 10:30 or 11. Looks like rain will be blowing out right around then.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I love that VOTR guy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I love that VOTR guy!
    Yeah, he's really active with the evergreen guys in the Yacolt Burn system. His videos are entertaining.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I actually thought you meant back on Tumwater, but you're riding/pushing up Goat Crk & out? the video wouldn't play for me.
    I think so yeah. Counterclockwise lollipop.

Probably meet in Randle or the trailhead at 10:30 or 11. Looks like rain will be blowing out right around then.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I actually thought you meant back on Tumwater, but you're riding/pushing up Goat Crk & out? the video wouldn't play for me.
    Looks like trailhead off 2750 for goat creek trail to goat mtn trail to tumwater then back onto goat creek. 5700 ft in 20 miles. I've never ridden it so I don't which way it rides best. The guy that does those vids I posted seems to usually know what's up though.

mtbr member
    Looks like trailhead off 2750 for goat creek trail to goat mtn trail to tumwater then back onto goat creek. 5700 ft in 20 miles. I've never ridden it so I don't which way it rides best. The guy that does those vids I posted seems to usually know what's up though.
    Yes, that's a good route. If you have the legs, take the side trip (climb) to Goat mt ridgeline from Deadmans lake. And/or check out Vanson peak at the top of Goat creek (not as much work but Goat mountain is more scenic)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinchflat View Post
    Yes, that's a good route. If you have the legs, take the side trip (climb) to Goat mt ridgeline from Deadmans lake. And/or check out Vanson peak at the top of Goat creek (not as much work but Goat mountain is more scenic)
    Ok cool, thanks.

Justin Vander Pol
    These trails need tires, and they need publicity since there's proposed 1) mining and 2) a strong desire for Wilderness designation in the Dark Divide by some groups. Real threats to these systems.

It would be really cool to see these routes entered and labeled in Trail Forks. Maybe a few other more mortal routes entered in TF that riff on this same theme.

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    These trails need tires, and they need publicity since there's proposed 1) mining and 2) a strong desire for Wilderness designation in the Dark Divide by some groups. Real threats to these systems.

It would be really cool to see these routes entered and labeled in Trail Forks. Maybe a few other more mortal routes entered in TF that riff on this same theme.
    Yeah, its weird that TC would try and keep the routes secret post race given the situation. Publishing them and getting people out there would be as much help as having done trailwork.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    it seems like most of them are actually on trailforks, but not the actual routes they used for the race. I agree that more people riding those trails is better, specially with how remote they are(compared to tiger, raging, galbraith, etc.)

That being said, I understand why they're doing that, more as a way to get more people signed up than to actually limit their use.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Yeah, its weird that TC would try and keep the routes secret post race given the situation. Publishing them and getting people out there would be as much help as having done trailwork.
    How is TC keeping them secret? Not providing the trailforks routes? The trail name for each stage is listed in the results and they weren't secretive about where they based out of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i imagine a lot of people will be signing up to get the particulars w/ no intention of ever doing any trail work. even people w/ intention to do so are going to be hard pressed to get down there & "out there" to get at the areas in need.
    breezy shade

Justin Vander Pol
    I don’t want to slag on TC, what they’re doing is a very good thing, and I’m sure they had to work an insane amount just to pull off this event and the associated trail work. I doubt they are hiding anything, this is just another step riders in the know could take to help visibility and ridership in this underutilized and world class zone.

I just discovered the “routes” features in Trail Forks. I’m rather excited by it for the visibility it can bring to areas like this that truly are mind blowing, but desperately need more visibility and wheels.

mtbr member
    We were there last weekend. You won't be disappointed. You need to join me on one of these. Tomorrow I think we're heading NE to hit X and Tres.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    We were there last weekend. You won't be disappointed. You need to join me on one of these. Tomorrow I think we're heading NE to hit X and Tres.
    Just hit Mt Osborne loop today. Wasn’t one of the TC routes but in the Gifford NF. It was amazing! The trails were in great shape even after the rains. The loam was magical.

Justin Vander Pol
    Yeah, for sure. Last few years overnight trips have been all but impossible for me. A little luck and next summer will be better on this front. Luckily our local stuff is just so good these days, still getting in plenty of shredalicious riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was lucky enough to be able to participate in TC this year and the whole event was amazing. Have to say, I consider myself a strong rider, I seek out the long days/suffer fests as routine in my regular rides. It was a bit of a surprise to be honest the effort required in order to even complete the event.

Day one was a huge crusher. So much of the vert was hike a bike, you really had no choice but to push. While the day was long, the downs/stages were great. The descent down after the first big climb was stage one and it delivered big time. Amazing dirt, changed character a few times on the way down and was one of my favorites of the whole event.

Day two, was three rips down strawberry mountain and we got shuttled up each time. These trails were all time, technical, views, and ripping for sure. We did south, then north then west. GO DO Strawberry NORTH. To do this as a loop, you have some real road climbing to do but I'd still say it's worth it. Some friends and multiple shuttles would be an ideal way to do it just like the event did.

Day 3 and 4 were moto trails and those are fun for different reasons, good variety and again so rad places were visited.

The way I see it, TC does not seem to try and keep this quiet after the event, but they are using the publicity and media to try and increase membership in a new evergreen chapter by offering the detailed routes first, this is a great move in my opinion. So what if people never do actual trail work, the membership and financial support is valuable to the effort as a whole as well.

The work that was done to clear the day one and two trails was obvious when you rode through different zones. So much blow down cut out, lots of tread/bench cutting, you could see and feel the hours put in as you rode these trails so TC really does the work which is what this event is all about.

Like a few have said, these trails (especially day one and two) need tires on them. The zone is unique and based on the smiles and discussions around the campfire, the trails rival anything world wide for quality. Snow is coming, window is closing, get after it!

El Malo
    I am ecstatic to hear about TC using the GF and incorporating some old favourites.
    I hope their work remains palpable next summer, as I am anxious to revisit those big mountain rides.
    Thanks to those involved for that huge effort. Those trails are deep and in need !
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

mtbr member
    I did the Goat Creek/Tumwater lollipop on Sat. Riding in and then back out that drainage is truly amazing...just awseome. Fairly strenuous day but not crushing. The loamy downhills on Tumwater with good sight lines are the stuff mountain biking dreams are made of. I now want to ride every piece of trail in that zone.

Did Osbourne on Wednesday. Little sketchy driving in and camping up there from Packwood. Got rained and sleeted on a fair portion of the ride. More awesome forest and sweet mtn lakes. I've never seen old growth Hemlock like up there, really cool.

Trans Cascadia-20181013_134513.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I did the Goat Creek/Tumwater lollipop on Sat. Riding in and then back out that drainage is truly amazing...just awseome. Fairly strenuous day but not crushing. The loamy downhills on Tumwater with good sight lines are the stuff mountain biking dreams are made of. I now want to ride every piece of trail in that zone.

Did Osbourne on Wednesday. Little sketchy driving in and camping up there from Packwood. Got rained and sleeted on a fair portion of the ride. More awesome forest and sweet mtn lakes. I've never seen old growth Hemlock like up there, really cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181013_134513.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	1220687
    since Tumwater is the last piece of the Goat Mtn. puzzle i haven't done, i'm planning on doing just it from Goat Crk to Goat Mtn & back down. whadya think the ratio of pushing/riding is?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If I were to ride Strawberry Ridge without a shuttle, would this be the best route?

- Park at intersection of NFDR 26 and NFDR 045
    - pedal NFDR 26 to the Green River to Strawberry Ridge Connector
    - ride North on Strawberry Ridge back to my car

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It would be funner as out and back - start with your plan but go up Strawberry Ridge. Then i fyou want go down to Green River and back up.

Riding south on 26 would be a nice road ride but it is uphill the whole way and you're cheating yourself out of singletrack. When that road was closed we once rode from the top of Green River (ie Ryan Lake) north on the road. It was a curvy coast the whole way !
    Then we rode south up Strawberry and down the middle connector to Ryan Lake. That was a nice day. Another interesting route would be from Norway Pass, take the road to Ryan Lake and go up the middle and then come down the south ridge back to Norway Pass. Its pretty steep going down that way and you can stop at Ghost Lake too.

mtbr member
    since Tumwater is the last piece of the Goat Mtn. puzzle i haven't done, i'm planning on doing just it from Goat Crk to Goat Mtn & back down. whadya think the ratio of pushing/riding is?
    Sorry man, I'm just seeing this. I'm not sure on which way your speaking too. From Goat Creek if you were to go counterclockwise onto Tumwater I'd say the only steep portion is right out of the drainage. Otherwise it's all mostly pitch/pedal friendly. I hopped off and pushed here and there but mostly just to pace myself. I wanted freshish legs for the downhill and it's so worth it. Again, awesome bike friendly pitch, great sight lines, loamy perfection, and enough trail fundulation to keep things interesting. I'm putting the loop as one of the best I've done in the Cascades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sorry man, I'm just seeing this. I'm not sure on which way your speaking too. From Goat Creek if you were to go counterclockwise onto Tumwater I'd say the only steep portion is right out of the drainage. Otherwise it's all mostly pitch/pedal friendly. I hopped off and pushed here and there but mostly just to pace myself. I wanted freshish legs for the downhill and it's so worth it. Again, awesome bike friendly pitch, great sight lines, loamy perfection, and enough trail fundulation to keep things interesting. I'm putting the loop as one of the best I've done in the Cascades.
    that is exactly what i hoped to hear. i'll be gettin' it before the season is done. Thank you, thank you, thank you
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    It is crazy watching these trails blow up on social media. I can remember discovering White Pass and Mt St Helens trails using the Tom Kirkendall guide books.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I added A LOT of trails in this area to Trailforks this summer while my shoulder was healing. The timing worked out perfectly because TransCascadia brought a lot of awareness to this region. Looking forward to seeing more people on the trails with me next season!

And join the Evergreen MTB Alliance Cowlitz/Naches Chapter if you ride here to show your support for investment in the area!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are most of the trails in the GF that were used in Trans-Cascadia multi-use?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes, a lot of the US Forest Service trails in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest are multi-use. Some are hiking, biking, and motorcycles; some are hiking and biking only; and some are hiking only. If you search for the trail on the GPNF website, it will tell you what is allowed. https://www.fs.usda.gov/giffordpinchot/

I added a lot of trails in that area to Trailforks last summer and attempted to correctly mark them as multi-use and as to whether or not e-bikes are allowed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Are most of the trails in the GF that were used in Trans-Cascadia multi-use?
    horses, hikers, bikers. no motors in the Goat Mtn. complex. Strawberry Ridge, i think the same. don't know the Mt. Adams rules
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok great. Thanks for the reply nhodge and NotAnotherClimb. Looks like a good place to start learning the trail networks. Would you guys suggest using Packwood as a base camp?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    need a town's amenities? if you're exploring the N. end, there's Morton about 15+ miles to the Goat Creek/Tumwater TH. if your camping, just back down dirt rd. is Taidnapam Campground.

exploring the S. end is the Norway Pass cmpgrd. or the horsecamp right @ the Green River Trail. or just rough it a little more @ the Goat Mtn. TH for total self reliant camping.

Town wise, Randall is the closest for the S. explrng, but still a loong ways away. Packwood is just farther away.

i think there is camping along Windy Pass rd. also close to S. end of Strawberry Ridge.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    If you like small towns stuck in time Morton is cool. Packwood and Randell are definitely more tourist oriented to the Rainer traffic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    need a town's amenities? if you're exploring the N. end, there's Morton about 15+ miles to the Goat Creek/Tumwater TH. if your camping, just back down dirt rd. is Taidnapam Campground.

exploring the S. end is the Norway Pass cmpgrd. or the horsecamp right @ the Green River Trail. or just rough it a little more @ the Goat Mtn. TH for total self reliant camping.

Town wise, Randall is the closest for the S. explrng, but still a loong ways away. Packwood is just farther away.

i think there is camping along Windy Pass rd. also close to S. end of Strawberry Ridge.
    Perfect. Looks like there's a summer's worth of trips right there. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    The Gif-Pin is loaded with amazing trails but, and its a pretty big but, most are open to motos and do get thrashed over the course of the summer.
    - Goat Mtn trails - amazing - easiest trail head is Goat Creek outside Morton. You ride behind a waterfall! On the south MSH side Ward Lk makes a great base camp. Not the lake itself but an old Quarry site next to it. Strawberry Ridge is across the road.
    - Juniper Ridge/Tongue Mtn - great shuttle-climb ride...shuttle to the drop off and climb from there. Motos, but not too bad. Don't think it was used for TC race.
    - Lewis River and Falls Creek. SE of MSH. Great riding.
    - Osborne Mtn - further north, near Ashford. A great trail with 3 swimmable lakes.
    - there are many others...the TC is coming back for 2019. You should try to make one of their 3 work party weekends. Campout, very well supported; dig, ride, party.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    > Juniper Ridge/Tongue Mtn - great shuttle-climb ride.

Whatchoo talking about Willis ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    > Juniper Ridge/Tongue Mtn - great shuttle-climb ride.

Whatchoo talking about Willis ?
    Fixed it for you:

Great ride, climb, ride, climb, walk, push, cry, climb, ride, ride, ride, climb, ride, ride-ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Gif-Pin is loaded with amazing trails but, and its a pretty big but, most are open to motos and do get thrashed over the course of the summer.
    - Goat Mtn trails - amazing - easiest trail head is Goat Creek outside Morton. You ride behind a waterfall! On the south MSH side Ward Lk makes a great base camp. Not the lake itself but an old Quarry site next to it. Strawberry Ridge is across the road.
    - Juniper Ridge/Tongue Mtn - great shuttle-climb ride...shuttle to the drop off and climb from there. Motos, but not too bad. Don't think it was used for TC race.
    - Lewis River and Falls Creek. SE of MSH. Great riding.
    - Osborne Mtn - further north, near Ashford. A great trail with 3 swimmable lakes.
    - there are many others...the TC is coming back for 2019. You should try to make one of their 3 work party weekends. Campout, very well supported; dig, ride, party.
    Ok great. More intel. Much appreciated! I don't mind the motos. I imagine the goon rider factor is pretty low that far out. Most of them are probably solid dual sport guys.

mtbr member
    Having most of these trails open to, and heavily used by, motos just means the tread gets really hammered. Something to be prepared for if you're not a regular back country rider...meaning compared to Tiger and Raging these trails offer a bit of a different challenge. That's all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Having most of these trails open to, and heavily used by, motos just means the tread gets really hammered. Something to be prepared for if you're not a regular back country rider...meaning compared to Tiger and Raging these trails offer a bit of a different challenge. That's all.
    Ah got it. Understood.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I like the part where the dust gets so deep that it hides the big rock IEDs in the bottom of the trench. It's nice to have some fork angle/fork travel to hopefully help keep you from taking a digger, lol.

mtbr member
    Having these trails open to motos means they get opened early. The moto season is typically short due to fire season, so they tend to get out there and clear the trails as the snow melts.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Having these trails open to motos means they get opened early. The moto season is typically short due to fire season, so they tend to get out there and clear the trails as the snow melts.
    Not to mention they can carry a gas saw in a scabbard on the front fork and a little can of gas behind the seat.

The moto volunteer army here in Kittitas County does an EPIC amount of bucking out every year, not to mention just pleasant to share trails with. I'll gladly deal with the moon dust in trade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Not to mention they can carry a gas saw in a scabbard on the front fork and a little can of gas behind the seat.

The moto volunteer army here in Kittitas County does an EPIC amount of bucking out every year, not to mention just pleasant to share trails with. I'll gladly deal with the moon dust in trade.
    Never been to the Kittitas. It's interesting MTB riders in several areas will happily share trails with moto users in exchange for trail clearing. Found this same sentiment in McCall Idaho.

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Never been to the Kittitas. It's interesting MTB riders in several areas will happily share trails with moto users in exchange for trail clearing. Found this same sentiment in McCall Idaho.
    I think that this demonstrates that trail conflicts have a lot more to do with volume of users than with type of users. Or possibly the areas with large volumes of users tend to be near large cities and this increases the ahole % on the trails.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Anyone else looking into these?

Trans-Cascadia now has a couple non-race events under their Trans-Cascadia Excursions website. I'm signed up for the Mt. Adams backcountry ride. Driving up from Oregon, crashing overnight at Trout Lake, then riding where they tell me to.

There's also a Mt. St. Helens backcountry ride.

mtbr member
    They should do e-bike tours. Many of the trails are too hard for most people and would be a lot more enjoyable on an e-bike. Goat mt is the only one that's non-motorized. Pretty much everything else is moto trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinchflat View Post
    They should do e-bike tours. Many of the trails are too hard for most people and would be a lot more enjoyable on an e-bike. Goat mt is the only one that's non-motorized. Pretty much everything else is moto trails.
    you must mean the entire Goat Mtn. comlpex which includes Goat Creek, Tumwater, Vanson Ridge, & Green River, unless it's changed since last summer. not likely. Strawberry ridge i believe is open to motors in parts. not sure though
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    >They should do e-bike tours

Why not motorcycle tours then ?
    Sigh....the strongest rider on this forum always be pimping the weakBikes.

I wonder what they're riding on the Adams tour. Wright Meadow ? Boundary ? Hamilton ? Quartz Creek ? The Gotchen creek stuff looks pretty tame. We've explored a bit out there, pinchflat more than me and there's not that much as you get closer to Adams that I know of. That doesn't mean there isn't a crap load of good stuff that you could call an Adams tour.

Tbmaddux if it makes sense for you then it will be a great adventure.

mtbr member
    Igor must be getting tired of waiting for folks at the top of climbs.

My guess is they will ride the trails they used and work on last year...Juniper Ridge, East
    Peak, Craggy, etc.

mtbr member
    If only every for profit guiding service/event holder gave back as much as Trans-Cascadia. I'd be curious to see what the Adams tour includes as well? The Pyramid/old Cascades tour has got to be worth every penny. Looks like they do a heck of a lot of shuttling/leg work to get the best out of that zone for a day.

mtbr member
    I wonder what they're riding on the Adams tour.
    Me too. I'll report back at the end of summer once it happens. There's also a single-day option for each of Adams and St. Helens. If I like it I'll probably do the St. Helens excursion the next year. I would have considered doing the full excursion but it was already sold out.

The Pyramid/old Cascades tour has got to be worth every penny.
    Hope so. I signed up for that one and the next-day "McKenzie River Complex" which is the O'Leary / Castle Rock / King-Castle shuttled ride from Horsepasture trailhead – been on my bucket list since 2014 or so.

mtbr member

Why not motorcycle tours then ?
    Sigh....the strongest rider on this forum always be pimping the weakBikes.

I wonder what they're riding on the Adams tour. Wright Meadow ? Boundary ? Hamilton ? Quartz Creek ? The Gotchen creek stuff looks pretty tame. We've explored a bit out there, pinchflat more than me and there's not that much as you get closer to Adams that I know of. That doesn't mean there isn't a crap load of good stuff that you could call an Adams tour.

Tbmaddux if it makes sense for you then it will be a great adventure.
    Here is what the Forest service considers to be in the Mt Adams area.

Gifford Pinchot - Mt Adams

Not sure I would consider a lot of these in the Mt Adams area.

you must mean the entire Goat Mtn. comlpex which includes Goat Creek, Tumwater, Vanson Ridge, & Green River, unless it's changed since last summer. not likely. Strawberry ridge i believe is open to motors in parts. not sure though
    Strawberry Mountain? This one is closed to motos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

Strawberry Mountain? This one is closed to motos.
    =======================================
    does that include all of it, the entire N. section out to the closed RD26?
    hopefully
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    =======================================
    does that include all of it, the entire N. section out to the closed RD26?
    hopefully
    I'm pretty sure the whole trail is closed to motos. I do know the south end where it intersects with the Boundary Trail is definitely closed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post

Hope so. I signed up for that one and the next-day "McKenzie River Complex" which is the O'Leary / Castle Rock / King-Castle shuttled ride from Horsepasture trailhead – been on my bucket list since 2014 or so.
    Holy smokes man, eat your weaties that weekend. Even with the shuttling the Old Cascades tour looks like a big day. Lot of steep pitches in there. I've done from Horse camp to King Castle finish the last 3 years running, fantastic ride. We typically camp up at the horse camp upon shuttle retrieval which makes for a great day. Is it spring yet!?

mtbr member
    I wonder what they're riding on the Adams tour. Wright Meadow ? Boundary ? Hamilton ? Quartz Creek ?
    I've been eying an Adams area to St. Helens area point-to-point for a few years. Dark Meadow up to the Quartz intersection, then a bush-whacking adventure ride/s**t-show all the way down to the bottom of Lewis River. Wonder what they'd charge to just do a drop-off?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelito View Post
    I've been eying an Adams area to St. Helens area point-to-point for a few years. Dark Meadow up to the Quartz intersection, then a bush-whacking adventure ride/s**t-show all the way down to the bottom of Lewis River. Wonder what they'd charge to just do a drop-off?
    It has been at least 5-6 years since I tried to ride the Quartz Creek Trail, it was a mess with all the downed tress. I've heard it got cleaned up, but some trees were intentionally left on the trail to keep the motos off. I'd consider Craggy Peak/Wright Meadow or Summit Prairie to access Lewis River from the Boundary Trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Kelito my crew is planning to attend SHIFT this year weekend of August 16th. We will be riding Wright Meadow/Craggy Peak for sure, and then plan to head to the north end for a few days of Goat, Strawberry, Boundary, and Juniper. Join us if you can and we'll put together any crap fest you choose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    well, it won't be long & we'll be hearing where the first work party location will be for preparation of their race? any guesses, educated or otherwise? Washington? Oregon?

anybody know of intentions of the recently formed Evergreen group to keep up the work Trans Cascadia did to reestablish the Goat Mtn. trails, including Strawberry Ridge?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    The word is they will be in the Gif-Pin again this year 👐👐👐 Hopefully including with the Goat Mtn area.

We (Evergreen) will do our best to keep the Goat rideable if they are not going to be there. I'll post info here and on FB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    just got some great news from Amboy St. Helens that FS Rd 26 has had the major washout repaired & will open soon. that'll probably cut an hour or so out of the drive from the north to the Goat Mtn. TH & the Green River Horsecamp. the not so good news part is it was done for better access for the mining company to start operations in the Green River area. when that will be isn't known, but i was told last year by 2 Rangers that they were involved in a long permit process that could be years. but they fixed the road already, so, whatever that means?

right after i pushed send for my post, i got a callback from Connie in Amboy that 26 will open Friday! all hands on deck!

sounds like the road is still pretty rough, but driveable
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Man that road seems to wash out every 2-3 years, it seems like it has been closed more years than open since I've been going out there. So may not be related to mining as they probably have a recurring budget item to work on that road.

One of my very first rides out there in 2002 (?) with the Legend himself was coasting down the closed road 26 from Ryan Lake. We were headed to the north end of the Strawberry Ridge trail. I was hard core mtb at the time and disdained pavement riding, but I remember just enjoying the crap out of that ride - it was slightly downhill the whole way and hte most pleasant coast you could imagine, with a few gaping washouts to provide some adventure. THe ride across Strawberry was good too. I've never gotten back to do that end of STrawberry, it would be fun to do so but always a crapshoot on trail quality on that end.

mtbr member
    And fortunately nothing happens too quickly when the federales are involved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    just got some great news from Amboy St. Helens that FS Rd 26 has had the major washout repaired & will open soon. that'll probably cut an hour or so out of the drive from the north to the Goat Mtn. TH & the Green River Horsecamp. the not so good news part is it was done for better access for the mining company to start operations in the Green River area. when that will be isn't known, but i was told last year by 2 Rangers that they were involved in a long permit process that could be years. but they fixed the road already, so, whatever that means?

right after i pushed send for my post, i got a callback from Connie in Amboy that 26 will open Friday! all hands on deck!

sounds like the road is still pretty rough, but driveable
    important update

the road "will not" be opened this Friday. the Randle crew working on it were taken off for another job. no projected opening as of now
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    well, it won't be long & we'll be hearing where the first work party location will be for preparation of their race? any guesses, educated or otherwise? Washington? Oregon?
    The first work party is this weekend and based on the photos it looks like back to the Gifford-Pinchot. However they haven't actually revealed the location of the work party to anyone who isn't signed up to work.

mtbr member
    The Goat Cr access road has been given some love by the FS. They finished the work last week and are just waiting for the FS to sign off on it. The road should be open this week or next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The Goat Cr access road has been given some love by the FS. They finished the work last week and are just waiting for the FS to sign off on it. The road should be open this week or next.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Holy smokes man, eat your weaties that weekend. Even with the shuttling the Old Cascades tour looks like a big day.
    Short version: It kicked my ass and I want to go back and get my ass kicked again.

Longer version here in the Oregon forum.

I'm concerned about having the legs for the Adams 3-day event in about 8 weeks.

mtbr member
    Just spotted that Trans-Cascadia has started up the $10 for Trails fundraiser for 2019. Money goes towards expanding and maintaining trails in the Cascades. They've done work all over the Willamette and Gifford-Pinchot National Forests over the past several years, including reopening some huge rides for the first time in decades (Grasshopper, Old Cascades Crest, O'Leary, just to name a few that I know personally here in Oregon). Plus, you know, you could win a Santa Cruz Megatower.