Tokul Closed Due to High Fire Danger- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Tokul Closed Due to High Fire Danger

Due to the high fire danger, and a forecast of clear weather and high winds, Hancock is closing the Snoqualmie Forest (Tokul) to all public use until the fire danger drops.

Please do not ride or do any trail work out there until the fire closure is lifted. Based on the current forecast, it could be a few weeks. Fingers crossed the fire danger statewide begins dropping soon...

For updates visit the Tokul East Wiki: Trail:Tokul East - Evergreen Trail Guide

Thanks!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Huh? That happened about 6-7 weeks ago....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Huh? That happened about 6-7 weeks ago....
    Hey Borneo. I just got word on this from Glenn. I believe it was closed, then open again briefly, and now closed again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh, okay. Never heard it re-opened. Will be interesting to see how much rain it will take to re-open this weekend or next week then.

I didn't do it
    The NWS says chance of rain, but it just doesn't seem like we're going to get a whole lot of moisture this week. Nonetheless, hope we get significant precip this weekend. I'm actually looking forward to some wet rides again.

mtbr member
    If there is such a fire danger, why are they logging somewhere past FT3K (passed by a friendly logging truck) and up on CI?

BTW, Ivan is unrideable past the bridge, I had to turn back. The guy with the chainsaw looked funny in my direction, and my dogs have a short fuse. It was the logical choice.

NWBIKUR, I am looking forward to winter to get back some decent local riding as well. I love it that no one wants to ride in the snow.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I never saw an email (Hancock has my email address) or a change to their webpage saying they were open at some point.

Justin Vander Pol
    Also a heads up that Crazy Ivan is no longer rideable. The trail goes through several property owners, and they've closed the trail and asked that we don't go on their land.

Please respect the no trespassing signs so we don't lose future access!

Efforts will be made by the local trail builders to re-route on to Hancock land. The trick here is that Crazy Ivan will be fully logged in a year, so it's hard to justify a big reroute for just one season. I'll also start another thread on this once we figure out more.

mtbr member
    Is lower Ivan still ridable? That section is always great fun. Is KGB closed too?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's all closed due to fire danger. Except for maybe the first 40 feet or so from the SVT at the bottom.

KGB? Yeah, that too.

Seems we have to remind folks why tree farms do this every time it gets super dry. Sure, liability plays a part. But, it's a lot easier to know who is actually out there when/if a fire starts. Including logging crews. that truck could have just been picking up and old load. Tree farms will do a lot of maintenance when they can't actively cut. It's private property and we should respect those concerns. Just staying out is best for now. Besides, it looks like we'll get enough rain to open back up and get back to trail work soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    I never saw an email (Hancock has my email address) or a change to their webpage saying they were open at some point.
    Not sure why you didn't receive notification from Hancock mbcracken. But we'll do our best to keep you updated here as we receive news.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's all closed due to fire danger. Except for maybe the first 40 feet or so from the SVT at the bottom.

KGB? Yeah, that too.

Seems we have to remind folks why tree farms do this every time it gets super dry. Sure, liability plays a part. But, it's a lot easier to know who is actually out there when/if a fire starts. Including logging crews. that truck could have just been picking up and old load. Tree farms will do a lot of maintenance when they can't actively cut. It's private property and we should respect those concerns. Just staying out is best for now. Besides, it looks like we'll get enough rain to open back up and get back to trail work soon.
    Well said Borneo! Thanks for the thoughtful reply post.

I should be out riding
    funny, I haven't seen a refund on my credit card for the days it's closed, nor have I gotten an email from Hancock notifying permit holders of the closure. Once again, I'll have to assume this is rumor, as Hancock had said they would use the emails collected at registration to communicate with permit holders.

I should be out riding

KGB? Yeah, that too.

I agree completely for tree farms that don't charge.
    This is yet another example of the problems with Hancock's fee attempt though... once they charge, they have consumers, not guests, and a corresponding (and justified, IMO) change in user attitude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    I agree completely for tree farms that don't charge.
    This is yet another example of the problems with Hancock's fee attempt though... once they charge, they have consumers, not guests, and a corresponding (and justified, IMO) change in user attitude.

mtbr member
    I wasnt asking if Lower Ivan KGB were open right now, I was wondering if they were on private land non-timber land, or if they would still be ridable in the future.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not exactly sure of the layout but I would guess that is a yes then... Once re-routing is done up top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Tokul is open for riding as of today.
    Hancock Forest Management

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Mike!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    Tokul is open for riding as of today.
    Hancock Forest Management

Cheers,
    Mike

I didn't do it
    Yea! I'll be bringing my handsaw to T West to take care of the inevitable blowdown. Should be fun to get out there again though and I also want to get my money's worth before the end of the year.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Please report back what you find.Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Saturday's ride up in East and out and down the West yielded a great ride. Only one set of branches across the trail that I rode through but shouldn't have. The trails were in good shape and the streams were starting to run again. I did Golden Spike (horse damage), Upper Bonbon, Moonraker, Outhouse, Steakhouse, Outback+Extension, Poopy D (lots of fun), and Beaver Pond out to SVT. The exit of Outback has a tree across it, but maybe that's a good thing to keep horse traffic to a minimum.

I expect after last night's wind, there will be a lot to clear out though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks!
    Was there still a log down on the lower part of Poopy? (Low logs usually don't discourage the equine folks...)

Did you go down the re-vamped Mouse Trap? I assume it had to be better with moere rain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, I did. Sorry I left that one out; I did indeed go down Mouse Trap DH. I didn't notice it being much different but it has been a few months since I went down it. It was in fine shape.

I did not see any timber down on Poopy D and the tree across the exit to Outback is horse knee high and may turn around a few riders.

mtbr member
    if you desire a sawyer with a sharp tool to help with timber across I'm at gmail.com. I'm also very happy to attend sawyer experience gathering sessions.

Members who have read this thread: 0