Tires for PNW near Seattle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Tires for PNW near Seattle

I'm going out to Seattle for a couple of weeks. Will be riding in Duthie Hill, Galbraith, and over the mountains in Roslyn.

I mostly run DHF/Aggresor combo here in northeast. Should I swap my tires for the PNW? I've never ridden out there before.

I have DHR2 and HR2 and Shorty. I only use them rarely when we have like a lot of wet weather, which is usually April.

I'm guessing I'd a least want ot swap the back to DHR2? Or some combo of DHR2 and HR2?

Thanks.

jcd's best friend
    Minions are pretty common out here in WA. The weather is shifting here so we might see some rain fairly soon (which will be nice). DHF, DHR, or HRII would be fine out here though!
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    May 2014

Tires for PNW near Seattle

I hope we get some rain the next few weeks...

Iíve run the DHF / Aggressor combo year-round here and been happy enough to leave it be, but Iím also a bit lazy. Youíre definitely fine at Galby and Duthie, not sure about Roslyn as I havenít actually ridden it.

Dream it, Do it.
    The Aggressors should work just fine. The DHR2s do brake better, but the Aggressor is fine in that respect as well.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Also have run Aggressors a lot out back. Great for out here, especially in the dry like in Roslyn and flow/hardpack like most of Galby. I do generally swap in a DHR when the rain really starts to come.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    You're set up is fine. Everything is dry right now. I don't worry about rain riding until October west of the Cascades.

mtbr member
    When will you be here?

As mentioned, typically the rainy season starts end of sept/beginning of oct.

We donít really get the sticky thick mud here. Itís more... standing water, and ďwatery sandy loamy bitsĒ. So you donít usually need anything that clears mud excessively well like the shorty.

I will say if youíre going to do any slower/more natural trails, that I would personally go with a front tire that has transition knobs. Because itís in the trails with lower speeds and more moderate lean angles can lead to sliding in the slop in the channel between the main knobs and shoulder knobs.

If I was buying a front tire for a trip to visit here, Iíd do the Michelin Wild enduro front. Itís usually cheap at $50, has huge cornering lugs, and sticky rubber. But the DHF would work fine as well.

And, Iíd personally go with the DHR in the back, although the aggressor works fine as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post

If I was buying a front tire for a trip to visit here, Iíd do the Michelin Wild enduro front. Itís usually cheap at $50, has huge cornering lugs, and sticky rubber. But the DHF would work fine as well.
    Good call on the Michelin tires. I have the Wild Enduro F & R on a hardtail and I love them. Wish they made a high volume 2.6 but great tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Make sure you're getting a sticky compound something like 3C. You'll appreciate it on the wet roots & rocks. DHF up front DHR out back.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
    Good call on the Michelin tires. I have the Wild Enduro F & R on a hardtail and I love them. Wish they made a high volume 2.6 but great tires.
    For what itís worth, they do sell the E-Wild tire in 2.6in widths.

And yeah, if the OP is going to be in Washington when itís wet, something with sticky rubber really makes a difference on the slick roots.

So Maxxterra, or maybe even Maxxgrip equivalent tires(especially on the front) will be appreciated.

Honestly anything like the DHF, Magic Mary, Wild Enduro, Assegai, Vigilante, or similar will work well. You dont need to go to something quite as extreme as the shorty/dirty dan/etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    For what itís worth, they do sell the E-Wild tire in 2.6in widths.
    Didn't know that, thanks for the info. Now I gotta do some squat cause that rear is heavy!!!

jcd's best friend
    I'm trying something a bit crazy but we will see if I stick with it. I ordered two 2.8" Maxxis High Roller II tires for my bike. I like to try silly things with tire combos that you normally don't see on the trail. My plan was to ride with both tires installed and see how I like it.

I may return one of the tires for something else but I can't decide which rear 2.8" tire I want to use instead. A couple people here on MTBR recommend a Rekon+ or Ikon+ for the rear but I don't know how those tires will feel while riding in wet conditions. I typically ride Swan, 360, and BDOS in the winter.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Yeah pretty dry right now. Even with some rain, it's gonna be dry.

When it is wet(ter), I don't like DHR. But I like technical climbing and DHR's slip with the ramped knobs.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I'm trying something a bit crazy but we will see if I stick with it. I ordered two 2.8" Maxxis High Roller II tires for my bike. I like to try silly things with tire combos that you normally don't see on the trail. My plan was to ride with both tires installed and see how I like it.

I may return one of the tires for something else but I can't decide which rear 2.8" tire I want to use instead. A couple people here on MTBR recommend a Rekon+ or Ikon+ for the rear but I don't know how those tires will feel while riding in wet conditions. I typically ride Swan, 360, and BDOS in the winter.
    I've done the 2.8 HR in the rear before; didn't do well for me back there. I do like it on the front though. I think the Rekon+ may be the better option when the rain comes back. Looks like the tread will grab in the softer conditions, won't slow you down too much on hark pack and less squirm on wet rocks/roots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. I am going to swap to my 3C DHR for the rear, leave my MaxTerra DHF for the front.

If the forecast looks super rainy I will bring the shorty. I'm going out in mid october.