Thank you kind stranger!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thank you kind stranger!

We rode Duthie last night and right as we got off the boardwalk my buddies chain broke. I was about to just bail on the ride, but a guy we met in the parking lot (Mike?) had a powerlink and saved the ride.

Just wanted to say thank you to the kind PNW rider!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    C'mon now.... None of you had a chain tool? That's like riding without a patch kit and a pump. Don't need no stinkin' pukerlink neither. Just break it and put it back together with the tool.

But, that was nice of them.

(I've had to do that for some poor sap 2-3 times out there when out building.)
    Last edited by Borneo; 01-10-2013 at 07:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I always carry extra links in my pack for this reason, given away more than a few to people in need over the years.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    The guy who broke the chain was the only one on a 9 spd drivetrain and we had tons of tools, but only 10 and 11 spd parts. It was cold and raining and he didnt want to deal with a chain tool and was just going to call it a night.

Guess I should throw some 9 spd parts in the pack!

I just thought it was really cool that a total stranger would help out like that. it was after 8pm, pich black and raining, and he could have just keep riding instead of stopping and seeing if a group of 5 strangers needed some help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    C'mon now.... Just break it and put it back together with the tool.

But, that was nice of them.

(I've had to do that for some poor sap 2-3 times out there when out building.)
    FWIW breaking the chain and replacing with teh original pins is a PITA type of fix. When I was doing the GDR the chain would only last another 300-400 miles or so before breaking again. (granted it was under a lot of stress as the bike weighed 100lbs or so). And after fixing it this way, you can't usually find that link again to fix it right with a proper pin (if you did it right and its not stiff as heck). Since that grand experiment I've used powerlinks, they aren't perfect, but at least you can find the site of the original break, and repair the chain properly when you get back from the ride. And you can do so at your leisure since they will last a long time before causing significant wear on the drivetrain etc.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice!!

mtbr member
    This thread makes me happy. Glad the old school habits are still being upheld. Mountain Biking links us all, regardless of ethnicity or socio-economic status. Kudo's to "Mike", and Mr. Lynch know that the only thanks "Mike" really needs/wants is for you to pay it forward the next time you see someone in need.

Members who have read this thread: 0