Swan Creek Heads Up (possible sabotage)- Mtbr.com
    There's always next year.

No good Swan Creek Heads Up (possible sabotage)

South Sound/Tacoma riders-

I was out riding Swan Creek today, and ran into some discouraging things. I found at least 2 instances of possible sabotage out on the trail in different locations--I ran into another rider who claimed she had clear other areas as well. What we found, we cleared off the trail.

I've attached pictures of what I saw on the inner loop of Hustle and Flow, while the other was on the climb closest to 56th Street. Both where close to here the singletrack meets the doubletrack trail that crosses it. Nothing that experienced rider could have handled, but concerning to me when I think about the newer riders or kids and families who I see frequenting the park.

Swan Creek Heads Up (possible sabotage)-img_4442.jpg
    Swan Creek Heads Up (possible sabotage)-img_4446.jpg

I rode everything in the MTB park today (around 12-1PM) and didn't find any other issues-- structures/elements looked good and the ones I rode were sound.

Don't know if this a continuing issue in the park, but its the first time I've seen/heard of it. Just wanted to pass along what I discovered to other riders.

Stay safe-

Last word is all yours...
    Assuming this is how you found it and it was deliberately done, the 2x4 with the nails pointing upwards would put this pretty squarely into the category of criminal sabotage. I would strongly advise you to file a police report. A police report of each instance over time will provide a stronger case for prosecution when the individual is eventually apprehended. The behavior is also likely to continue to escalate.
    --
    -bp

Yeah!
    That's dangerous to EVERYONE. WTF was that loser trying to acheive? Keep EVERYBODY out, animals included?
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

bike tester
    use some wildlife cameras and catch that bastard, he deserves prison rape.

mtbr member
    Lot's of good info in this article:

To Catch A Saboteur - Pinkbike

Especially the part about not lowering ourselves to their level with threats and other internet spewage.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm of two minds on this. I lean toward the "not lowering ourselves to their level" attitude but sometimes I wonder if trail saboteurs would be so willing to do this if we were a little more scary and some cranky old trail saboteur got the crap kicked out of him one day.

People don't like the sound of Harleys but I don't think they're quite as willing to vandalize the local MC or screw with their bikes as they are to sabotage trails.

What I'm saying is that we need leather vests and a cool clubhouse....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Before we get out the torches and pitchforks, is it possible that some (inexperienced) builder was trying to make a log feature? Maybe the board with the upright nails was meant to be some sort of brace for the log, and fell off?

If you really wanted to inflict damage, you'd put more nails in the board and partially bury it in the trail.

mtbr member
    My first thought was poorly built ghetto log roll over too tbh.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The area always been loaded with scums. We had the same problem 35 years ago riding dirt bikes and cops didn't care about us back then...

EMBA Member
    Just saw this post from the Western Canada forum about using cameras to catch people messing with the trails.

http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canad...an-944772.html

mtbr member
    Ummm, already linked above?
    Tarekith.com

I5Troll
    Thanks again for the heads-up. Because the log was installed as a post to block an old quad road, I'm leaning toward sabotage. I can see the log-over as a possibility, but tear out a post to build it? Heads up out there and report everything to Metro Parks or Evergreen.

Things have gotten better, but it's going to be an ongoing battle keeping quads and motos out until we get enough trails and feature in there to make Swan Creek a destination. Stay tuned for news on Phase 2 -- hope to double the mileage, vastly improve the pump track and add more progressive skills lines.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, There is a lot of kids in that area that don't have anything constructive to do with there time. And no parental supervision.

mtbr member
    Those kids need some bikes!
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You know Mr. Lynch. That is actually an EXCELLENT idea. It would be interesting to see how many kids in the Swan Creek area need bikes in order to give them something productive to do. For the last two summers the Black Diamond crew have volunteered repairing and assembling donated bikes that get donated to kids out here by me. There may be a cool opportunity here.

I5Troll
    Yes indeed. A few of the local volunteer heroes have been working on making mt biking more affordable for the kids in the surrounding communities. Started with a helmet drive and helmet give-aways. Now they've been teaming up with 2nd Cycle. If anyone wants to help, I'll put you in touch.

I should be out riding
    Local Seattle group Kids Need Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Ridge Guy View Post
    You know Mr. Lynch. That is actually an EXCELLENT idea. It would be interesting to see how many kids in the Swan Creek area need bikes in order to give them something productive to do. For the last two summers the Black Diamond crew have volunteered repairing and assembling donated bikes that get donated to kids out here by me. There may be a cool opportunity here.