Stevens Pass Bike Park Summer 2012- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Stevens Pass Bike Park Summer 2012

Take a look at some pics from today. Plenty of snow but it is melting out. Going to offically announce opening date tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Joel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stevens Pass Bike Park Summer 2012-imag0314.jpg  

Stevens Pass Bike Park Summer 2012-imag0306.jpg  

Stevens Pass Bike Park Summer 2012-imag0310.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Waiting excitedly for announcement. Been getting by every day at work just to make it to Stevens this year. Seems like it cant come soon enough

mtbr member
    Whoo Hooooooo!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    wow, there's still a lot of snow on the ground up there.

mtbr member
    Will you guys be having Drop In Alliance ride days other than that tentative Wednesday night that was mentioned in an email? Sure hope so!!!
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    how is this thread not updated yet???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5lD...layer_embedded

july 6th!

mtbr member
    $32 for two trails? $10 more and I can ride Whistler with a brocard...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did you get the DIA email yesterday?

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle View Post
    Will you guys be having Drop In Alliance ride days other than that tentative Wednesday night that was mentioned in an email? Sure hope so!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    then go drive to Whistler or gasp....pedal to the top somewhere for free!

$32 seems very reasonable to me, not to mention supporting a local opportunity for this kind of thing....geez

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by yo EDDY View Post
    then go drive to Whistler or gasp....pedal to the top somewhere for free!

$32 seems very reasonable to me, not to mention supporting a local opportunity for this kind of thing....geez
    Agreed.

Also, I'm guessing the majority of folks here didn't ride the bike park in the first couple of seasons, but I can tell you it was a VERY different place then. It certainly didn't even come close to resembling what it is today. It had stuff like Fantastic, Ho Chi Minh and Rippin Rutabega (credit for anyone that knows what trail that became) and Joyride. No A Line, No Crank it Up, No Garbo zone......

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Love the support! Thanks everybody. Doing everything we can to get this thing kicked off!

Joel

mtbr member
    Joel, What are the park hours going to be, weekend and week days?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fri-Sun 10am -6pm to start. $32 lift ticket or you can go wtih a 3pack for $85.

Joel

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Friday is close!

Joel

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Will the bottom portion of Rock Crusher and Slingshot be completed to the chair this season? (Not that I didn't mind the speed section on the lower access road last year...) What about the other trail you guys were working on heading towards Tye?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    They will be completed but not by this weekend. Focused on getting open first. 3rd trail shooting to be open end of July. 4th trail starts this summer!

Joel

mtbr member
    May 2009
    what type of trail is the 3rd one supposed to be?

see you on friday!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 3rd will be an intermediate single track. 4th one will start this summer will be advanced jump trail. Stay tuned.

Weekend is looking perfect for weather. See you here.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    what type of trail is the 3rd one supposed to be?

see you on friday!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had a ton of fun up there today. I sessioned Rock Crusher most of the day and took one ride down Slingshot Wookie. I was getting better and better at RC and didn't want to deal with the slop on Wookie.

I learned that my forearms aren't strong enough for all day riding. o.O

-joel

mtbr member
    I had a ton of fun up there today. I sessioned Rock Crusher most of the day and took one ride down Slingshot Wookie. I was getting better and better at RC and didn't want to deal with the slop on Wookie.

I learned that my forearms aren't strong enough for all day riding. o.O

-joel
    Hah. I had the same exact day. Kept trying to stop but had to keep doing that one last run down Rock Crusher. Great work by the SPBP crew.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for coming out! Weather and line up has been perfect. Trails are only going to get better.

Joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Opening weekend head count??

So how many riders showed up for opening weekend? I was there on Friday and there were no lines. Just wondering (hoping) it was a lot busier on the weekend. I had a great time riding the Wookie. I actually liked riding in the mud!

Looking forward to seeing what RC and Wookie are like when they are completed all the way to the bottom. In addition, to the the new trails you have planned for this season.

Great job! Keep up the good work.

7.6.2012 - Stevens Pass Bike Park Opening Day - Slingshot Wookie - YouTube
    Last edited by enduro; 07-09-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added video link
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i heard 120 on saturday. doesn't sound like many.

-joel

Rider
    anyone take any photos from the weekend?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Any bike rentals available? What about gear?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Any bike rentals available? What about gear?
    Yep. Check out their website (scroll to the bottom)
    Ride | Stevens Pass Bike Park

I believe they only have a handful of DH bikes available to rent, but they're brand new.
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

Fat-tired Roadie
    If they're still open after the Capitol Forest 50, I'll have to go and check it out. Just had a look at my calendar and realized that I don't really have time right now.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ugh, want to go back and ride more. a few more laps down Rock Crusher and then spend more time on Slingshot Wookie. I feel like I wussed out and didn't go back to it. I just had a couple problems at the top that were probably just confidence issues. I just never went back to it to try it again.

-joel

mtbr member
    ugh, want to go back and ride more. a few more laps down Rock Crusher and then spend more time on Slingshot Wookie. I feel like I wussed out and didn't go back to it. I just had a couple problems at the top that were probably just confidence issues. I just never went back to it to try it again.

-joel
    Wookie was a bit tough for me as well in those conditions and I nearly ended up head first on some of those rocks. Stuck to Rock Crusher the rest of the day and ended up just doing lap after lap until my hands could not longer grip the bars. Definitely felt my confidence building by the end of the day. Trading up to a full face helmet will help me as well as I won't experience so much dental fear.

Just take it at your own pace until it gets comfortable. It gets even more fun with a bit of speed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i feel like i can probably handle it, but the mud threw in an extra element. Though, I rode it probably 3-4 times last October so I shouldn't have wussed out. :|

like you said, just gotta take it at my own pace until it gets comfortable.

fullface plus kneepads and elbows. Don't overdo it so much that it affects how you ride though. I gave up on the full hardshell pressure suit on account of its bulk. I crashed a couple times wearing it, but not since I went to the 661 subgear padding. It offers a small degree of shoulder protection, but doesn't get in the way of my riding mechanics. I saw dainese offers a sublayer looking shirt that offers some back protection. if they can come up with a short sleeve version, then I'll probably look into that.

-joel

mtbr member
    How crowded was it up there, long lift lines?
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    How crowded was it up there, long lift lines?
    Not sure about Sunday but I was up most of Saturday and never had more than a handful of chairs to wait. Line was never even off of the loading ramp.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i never even saw a line on saturday. I didn't get up there until noon though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm coming tomorrow.

Will be riding RC (I'm a beginner rider) - Kona Coilair Dlx, 661 Pacman full-face. Give me a shout if you want - I plan to ride in the am, then avoid lunch heat by driving to King Ludwigs in Leavenworth for some schweinshaxe and then ride some more before they close... if I can

mtbr member
    May 2009
    new section of RC is open now also. wish i could go this weekend.

New Rock Crusher Section (Update 7-13-2012) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trails are only getting better. New stuff on Wookie this weekend. Who's coming up?

Joel

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm coming up

I hope it's colder so that I actually wear my armor, not leave it in the car and then get banged up like last weekend

But I don't ride Wookie yet. How is the new part of Rock Crusher - last weekend the exit on the road was somewhat unstable / sketchy for me...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anyone know how wet it is up there today with all this rain? I'm thinking about going up sunday but Im going to wait if its really muddy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just coming in after a few laps. New section of the Crusher was a little sloppy at the botttom but everything was really good. Tomorrow with a some sun should be perfect.

Joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't let a little moisture keep you from riding...

I rode up there opening weekend and that was some seriously fun mud on the Wookie.

Getting dirty is all part of the fun of riding in the PNW. So don't be a wuss...just get up there and ride
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

ya

oh ya Cwall

Just roll it......

Park report.

Got up to Stevens on Sunday with my wife, baby and a few friends. Shuttling and/or lift access works really well with an infant because we take shifts with our little girl.

It was foggy most of the day, but it never rained on us until we were in the car on the way home. I’ve not ridden a chairlift to ride bikes in Washington since 1996 or ’97 at Snoqualmie and Crystal – both of which could’ve built out a proper park if they only had the vision back then. We were really stoked to see what’s been done so far up at Stevens though.

Quick thoughts on the park.
    As most know, there are two trails open and a third (maybe even a 4th ?) are in the works. I basically did 2 runs on Rock Crusher for a warm up and then rode Slingshot Wookie the rest of the day. Lift lines were practically non-existent all day and the entire staff was super friendly and they all genuinely wanted to know if we were having a good time. Even with a couple hour break to watch our girl, I probably busted out 17 runs during a 2.5 hour period. I think my buddy got 24 or 25 runs and all of our arms were feeling it.

Rock Crusher – blue level machine built jump trail
    This trail has a ton of potential and is a good first step for the park. Right now, there are some weird sections that don’t quite flow right. Either abrupt corners that need some bermage to carry speed into the next section, some flat sections that need some of the rocks pulled out of the trailtread to allow more speed to be carried and some jumps that you go to flat on pretty easily. All things that can be adjusted. There was a new set of 4 - 6 berms that chicaned and reminded me of sections at silver star. The trails not finished still and you get dumped out to a short'ish road section at the end.

Slingshot Wookie – black level tech trail
    I REALLY liked this trail….it had fast sections with lots of double up opportunities and enough off-camber roots to keep you honest. Wookie is rugged, had very little mud on it and is actually deserving of a big bike. They are working on the bottom still, but a recently opened section had a fun new bermed wall ride. My only complaint was there are 2 or 3 corners with decreasing radiuses that are total flow killers…one of them is already being braided with cut-throughs. They’re totally rideable, but they nearly bring you to a stop. I’d either widen them at the apex or berm them to allow for speed. Again, adjustments that can be made, but the foundation is there.

I can say I’ve not seen so many xc bikes/helmets and total newbs in the bike park in a long time! It reminded me how far back the DH scene is in Washington compared to other areas in B.C. As someone that’s ridden the WBP in its early days and has had a season’s pass for over a decade, I’d say Stevens is off to a good start. The quality of the trails and experience is solid.

My main critique would be for them to double down on their trail construction. IMO, they really should be working 7 days a week to get a critical mass of trails open as quick as possible. Let’s face it….we’re talking about a 3-4 month build season and they’ve had to dig out after the last 2 winters (which slows things way down). I think they'll need an “Easy Does It” for the total bike park newbs sooner than later and for lower-intermediates to warm up on. The two current trails probably need to be completed first though and there needs to be another blue and black to make it interesting. After my 2 warmup runs on Rockcrusher, I just stuck to the Wookie all day and would’ve liked the diversity.

I’ll be back for the NWCup race in a couple of weeks and look forward to seeing the park progress in the future. I absolutely want to support the park and feel that, if the trail inventory can be increased, it will be worth the drive down vs. just riding our local stuff or heading to Whistler where we already have seasons passes.

Keep up the good work, Stevens Pass! If you build it (more trails), they will come.

Cheers,
    EB

Catalyst
    Jul 2009
    I have to totally agree with ebxtreme. I went up for my first time yesterday and loved it. Rock Crusher was awesome, needed a few little changes and updates, but it isn't even completed so that is understandable. I got about 10+ runs down it and was starting to learn the flow and easily clear most of the jumps.

I would completely agree that it would great if they added a beginner style trail. Something that the intermediate/advanced riders could ride fast to loosen up, while the beginners had something to keep them from clogging up RC.

I only rode Wookie once. It was pretty fun/intense, but not my favorite style of riding. The top section reminded me of Dry Hill and the second half was a little faster and flowy.

Overall, I thought Stevens Pass has done a great job and with more time they should become a real player in the lift bike parks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks guys. The feedback is great. Look for more trail coming on line in the next few weeks.

Joel

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is the park open to everyone friday or shut down for the NW cup race practice?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by wsuwilliestyle View Post
    Is the park open to everyone friday or shut down for the NW cup race practice?
    If you're not racing, then it won't be open to ride this weekend.

Might be a good excuse for folks to give DH racing a try!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Damnit, glad i asked though before driving up there

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry about that. Come up and watch some amazing racing. Check the website for this info as well. Stevens Pass Bike Park

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by wsuwilliestyle View Post
    Damnit, glad i asked though before driving up there

mtbr member

Hey Joel!

Will the new trail be open this weekend? (Aug11-12)

mtbr member
    I'll be heading up tomorrow for my first time on a big bike and I'm pretty excited. I'm use to 5-6" trail bikes and regular helmets, so riding a 7"+ bike and a full face should be interesting.

Rider
    any videos from the Race?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I'll be heading up tomorrow for my first time on a big bike and I'm pretty excited. I'm use to 5-6" trail bikes and regular helmets, so riding a 7"+ bike and a full face should be interesting.
    It's loads of fun, so much squish.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    So a group of us Stevens on Saturday. We started riding right at opening (10am) and rode until about 1:30. I got in 16 runs, and not once did I have to wait in any lift line. It was great! A few times we hit traffic on Rock Crusher, but Slingshot Wookie was always clear.

Conditions are dry, dusty and loose, but it is a ton of fun. Well worth the $32 price for lift tickets. I will definitely head up again real soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was there yesterday and agree with last post. Third trail would clear out crusher a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd like to mention that the patrol crew was very good yesterday. On Rock Crusher my group came up on a dude face down and unconscious after one of the jumps. We stayed to block traffic (eventually the trail was closed) and help out where we could. The patrol dudes did a good job assessing the guy when he came to and did great getting him off the mountain.

It was very scary for me to see something like that up close. Lesson to everyone, rock the full face helmets when you're riding, you never know when you're going down. This guy had an XC helmet on. It appears to have protected his head (it was cracked), but it certainly didn't save his face. I'm going to start evaluating those neckbraces I think. I've already got the helmet and pads, but one more minimal piece for huge protection might be worth it.

-joel

mtbr member
    We saw a group in the parking lot that had new full suspension Mongoose bikes they were bragging about just buying for $200 at the Walmart on the way up. It was not good. I also saw a group of riders on old school full rigid bikes with bar ends, XC helmets, wearing T-shirts and cut off jeans. They pretty much skidded down the entire trail and held up a ton of people. The best was a father/son combo on HT 29ers, full face helmets and tanktops. They skidded and served back and forth down the trail so it was impossible to pass.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think what i'd like to see Stevens have in place for next year is an easy flow line and an advanced flowline. From what I could see on the chairlift is that everyone wants the flow/jump lines. I think there was a decent amount of people up there and 90% of them were on Rock Crusher. We took a shot at Wookie and went pretty slow. I was very surprised that no one passed us.

Also wanted to say that I really like the extensions on both trails. Those big berms were a lot of fun. We were getting faster and faster down RC. Unfortunately, I ran out of gas the last run and could barely hold onto my bars.

-joel

mtbr member
    I almost think they should open the Skyline chair and let people cruise the access road back down. There are a lot of riders not quiet ready for Rock Crusher, or not properly prepared.

I could definitely tell the difference between guys that trail ride a lot and guys that are mostly gravity riders. The Gravity guys took a lot of breaks and the trail guys seemed to do endless laps. It was that way with our group too.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    is that normal to take a lot of breaks? or more just based on fitness levels where the trail riders might get more work in?

I ride Duthie a lot (not XC stuff) so my fitness levels are based around short efforts. I was pretty gassed by the time I got to the bottom of RC.

-joel

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Mr. Lynch;9588356]I almost think they should open the Skyline chair and let people cruise the access road back down. There are a lot of riders not quiet ready for Rock Crusher, or not properly prepared.

I don't know about this. Did you ride early this season or the two weekends last year? That access rode is SKETCHY on a bike. Maybe I'm not used to riding on steep loose gravel roads but you go from 0 to 30 mph in what seems about 30 feet and some inexperienced rider on a bike with cantis and crappy tires would have a really hard time making it down. Even a month or so ago before the first set of new berms (fantastic by the way) were finished and the trail kicked you out to the road it was pretty hairy on just the mild right hand turn before it straightened out above the half pipe.

I totally agree about a more beginner friendly trail though. I've seen and been behind quite a few riders on RC that are really out of their element. I'm kinda surprised by the amount of people up there with XC lids and reflectors still on the wheels.

mtbr member
    We saw a group in the parking lot that had new full suspension Mongoose bikes they were bragging about just buying for $200 at the Walmart on the way up. It was not good. I also saw a group of riders on old school full rigid bikes with bar ends, XC helmets, wearing T-shirts and cut off jeans. They pretty much skidded down the entire trail and held up a ton of people. The best was a father/son combo on HT 29ers, full face helmets and tanktops. They skidded and served back and forth down the trail so it was impossible to pass.
    The guys in the cutoffs were kind of crazy but they did have some skills but were pretty slow on the wookie. Would have been much more fun for them if they were on big bikes. Would be wise if they made full face helmets mandatory. I guess people are free to make their own bad decisions. Walmart bikes should be a no-go however, dangerous for everyone on the hill.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i agree no go on the access road. I hated that part coming off of RC. It was like riding on ball bearings. I felt like my front wheel was going to wash out going straight.

I think the beginner line should be a priority for the park during the short offseason for building. There's really nothing out there that sets riders up for this kind of riding in WA. SPBP is leading the way in lift access riding for WA and I think its going to get even more awesome when riders are able to progress. Look at how Duthie gives people the opportunity to progress. I hope SPBP has this in the plans. There's no indication of it on the trail map, but i think that's only what they have in store for this year. I met some lady when I was up there in July, she said it was too much for her and was done when I got there at 12.

Speaking of the trail map, look at how long that intermediate singletrack is. Whenever that opens up, its gonna be lots of fun and definitely a leg burner.

Also agree on the FF helmet. Drop the price of helmet rental to $15 and force it. Initially, I was going to say it may deter some people from giving it a try if they're getting nickel and dimed to ride. However, most people that ski or snowboard start out renting gear also. A FF helmet is just another piece of riding equipment. Besides, it only takes 10 rentals on each of those rental helmets to break even. I think if there was a place for beginners, those helmets would see more rental activity. I've no idea how often they get rented now. I don't think its very much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Check Facebook or youtube!

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    any videos from the Race?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey everyone - Just getting back after a week off. Will post more info on new trail when I can. As new trail comes on line it will help thin out some people. The next trail will be an Int single track which is close. 4th trail will be an advanced jump/flow trail which we will start soon. Not sure if it will be open this summer but will see? Next summer the beginner trail gets built which will help as well.

Thanks everyone for coming up and the feedback. We are reading this.

Joel

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I came on Sunday w/ Shaums' / Evergreen clinic, was great!

I need to stop a lot too. Even some of the instructors said they get gassed if they don't rest on RC and ride top to bottom.

We got asked about the RC accident, but didn't know anything. A guy on Wookie had a sling out of a spare tube and his buddy said he had a broken collarbone, though He was asking for ibuprofen. While we were there, patrol came down to help.

I am starting to think about a neck brace, and maybe armor upgrade to fit it.

An easier trail would be great, and I also agree the gravel road was somewhat sketchy.

mtbr member
    I'm heading there Sunday, can't wait, first time this season, finally.

its going to beer open right?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would like to echo this sentiment. It sounds really elitist to say things like this so I cringe even as I type it but there are a lot of people on the mountain that have no place on the mountain. When you're walking Rock Crusher down the middle of the trail with a walmart bike, no pads, improper shoes and an XC helm there's an issue.

I had to be carried off the mountain yesterday and driven to a clinic after wrecking during a botched pass on Wookie. Crashing during a pass is almost always the fault of the person doing the passing, so I take full responsibility. However I do think that a discussion should be had about how to keep riders on trails that are within their skillsets so that we can all have a safe, fun time on the mountain.

PS: Can we please get a 'minimum equipment required' rule? You *cant* be riding street cruisers on this mountain. That is a no-go.

mtbr member
    Yeah, send them to Tiger with the rest of their kind

Always amazed at the number of people I see there with walmart bikes and flip flops walking down Preston....
    Tarekith.com

In Armor We Trust
    Went up there this weekend for the 1st time this year. 100x better than the muddy mess last year on opening weekend. Had a good time and was beat after just 4hrs of riding. Trails definitely need some work though, to improve flow, reshaping of the tables, and of course expansion with more trails. It was pretty packed out there, so it was good to see people supporting it. Definitely looking forward to seeing the improvements/expansion over the next couple yrs too.
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    May 2004
    2 questions:

When is the new trail going to be officially open?

Whar is the planned closing date this season?

I'd like to get one before the other.

mtbr member
    OK, just did Whistler this weekend on my fully rigid near-stock 1989 Stumpie Team, and it was a BLAST!

Only dumped it once, in the first five minutes no less. Then regrouped and hauled ass, trying to keep up with my buddy Internal14 on his Ventana El Cuervo was a great lesson in relearning how to pick a " clean line" or two down the hill. Would love something like "B-Line" at Stevens, perfect for us old farts.

So, I want to know if I can bring my ride up to Stevens and try it out. Would like a XC climb such as the access road, and for crying out loud, riding canti's on sketchy fire roads at high speed is how the freakin' sport took off, so why the big fuss about adding one, or worse yet being against it? The technical stuff of todays traqils blows those roads away in terms of danger if you eat it!

I LOVE fire roads, guess call me a curmudgeon, but I'm old-school and would like to bomb down that way as well, or ride/push up.

So, StevensPass, you guys cool with me bringing my Stumpie Team up there?

Thanks for listening.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    So, I want to know if I can bring my ride up to Stevens and try it out. Would like a XC climb such as the access road, and for crying out loud, riding canti's on sketchy fire roads at high speed is how the freakin' sport took off, so why the big fuss about adding one, or worse yet being against it? The technical stuff of todays traqils blows those roads away in terms of danger if you eat it!

I LOVE fire roads, guess call me a curmudgeon, but I'm old-school and would like to bomb down that way as well, or ride/push up.
    I'm sure you'd be more than welcome up at Stevens. Your Bike is a far cry from some of the crappy bikes a lot of us have seen up there. As far as the fire roads, I remember watching a few of the eliminators(I think that was the name of some of the very early big Downhill races) on VHS back in the day and they all get my utmost respect. Damn those fire roads looked fast as hell. Not sure if they had the same ball bearing like gravel as someone above mentioned though. If so they even get more props

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I absolutely love this place, incredible work so far and excited to see what the future holds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So I have a 5/5 '03 Enduro, shin/knee guards, elbow pads and a full face helmet. Would that be sufficient enough to give the DHing scene a try at Stevens to see if I like it?

Also, when does the season end?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by opiate82 View Post
    So I have a 5/5 '03 Enduro, shin/knee guards, elbow pads and a full face helmet. Would that be sufficient enough to give the DHing scene a try at Stevens to see if I like it?
    I'd say so, but it always comes down to the skill of the rider and, frankly, some of the folks I saw up there didn't look like they hadn't ridden a mt. bike (or any bike for that matter) in 20 years. You could have fun on those trails on a hardtail - albeit at a slower speed.

The good news is a percentage of those folks will get bit with the bug and look at riding more and, potentially, updating some of their gear.

EB

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks. I ride Galby at least twice a week, not going to claim that means I have skill, but I have been on my bike and riding recently at least

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hadn't seen any updates since they opened the 3rd trail. I just got home from riding there, which was the first time I had been there since the opening weekend last fall.

The new trail is like an easy version of Wookie, although much shorter and in desperate need of some rain to pack the trail down.

All in all, I had much more fun today than I did during last years mud fest. I'm glad to see they lengthened the original two trails, and can't wait to see how they grow in the future.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who know binary and those who don't

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had an absolute blast riding there on my 6" bike, with a full face and knee pads, until a spill on wookie broke my collar bone. The next time I ride DH, I will have full body armor on for sure. More travel=more control when the going gets rough, but if you can only have one bike, 6" of travel is plenty.
    I can't wait to ride it next year, they are doing a great job up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Had a great day of riding up there last Friday. No lift lines and as many laps as I could handle. Thanks a lot to those that had the vision and the patience to make this happen. Looking forward to more riding at Steven's Pass.

mtbr member
    The new trail, Lichen It, has a lot of potential(not sure about the name though ) It is just to the top of the Daisy chair right now which should be about the half way point I'm guessing. Its bordering on moon dust on half of it but what else do you expect with our lack of moisture all summer, It must be very, very difficult to build with these conditions. I can see why they needed so much wood work, even with no rain there is running water at a few spots, and I cant imagine how sloppy it could get early/late season.I had a lot of fun on it on Saturday and Monday this weekend and can't wait for the trail to get ridden in after a bit of rain. It'll be a lot of fun. All in all I think it's going to be a much needed and great step between Wookie and Rock Crusher once it's all built.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Still trying to figure out why things are the way they are up there. But I do love the ski jump at the end of everything. I like to pedal in to that thing as fast as I can, look up at the lift and see all the people looking at you like your going to die, chuckle to myself, then scrub whip it. only fun jump on the hill.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    really annoyed by the late summer hours. I was planning to ride next friday (9/14) but they are switching to sat/sun only now.

Last word is all yours...
    really annoyed by the late summer hours. I was planning to ride next friday (9/14) but they are switching to sat/sun only now.
    Yeah, SUPER bumming on that one; I was in the same boat. Really excited to go shred some Fridays up there this Sep. and getting no notice of that option going away has wrecked my plans.

I can appreciate in the here-and-now it probably is a penny-wise business decision. But hopefully not also a pound-foolish one, as really the key to making more $$ there IMO is to add as many trails as possible and have as long a riding season as possible. Likely a painful growth/investment phase to get through, but I don't see another option.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    Still trying to figure out why things are the way they are up there. But I do love the ski jump at the end of everything. I like to pedal in to that thing as fast as I can, look up at the lift and see all the people looking at you like your going to die, chuckle to myself, then scrub whip it. only fun jump on the hill.
    do ya think their crew is still trying to figure out things? I've only been 2x (one month ago and last weekend). I like the ruggedness of slingshot and think it's pretty cool. rock crusher changed between my visits. Got longer but not any better. Some of the changes were ???head scratchers???

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    I would get so flamed here if I made the same comment....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sling Shoot is a good DH race trail!

mtbr member
    I really want to go back there soon. I couldn't get enough of the "see how fast you can go" on RC followed by the "man i need more armor" pucker factor of SW.

mtbr member
    Made it up for the first time today, and was really impressed at what's been done up there. Super dry and loose, but still pretty impressive. RC is fun as hell at speed, and wookie is a really fun tech trail too. The new single track shows promise once it get some rain and packs in some.

They really need a beginner trail to get the newbs off rock crusher though, so many people with no clue how to ride that type of trail holding many, many other people up. Had my worst crash of the season because some girl was at a dead standstill trying to ride down one of the berm sections in a blind corner. Off to the ER now.

Still, providing the arm isn't broken, can't wait to get back up there after some rain packs it down more. Beautiful scenery in the summer too.
    Tarekith.com

I just got goth served!
    Damn, Hope you're still in one piece, Tarekith! Sorry to hear you went down.

I've had a couple close calls in the berm section midway down the trail as well. First time I rode Stevens, there was a kid that was maybe 8 years old tangled up in his bike and a foot off the main line. Could have been scary because a few of us were charging through that section. Stopped and helped the kid and his dad made it back up the trail to find him.

Last weekend there were a few teenagers totally stopped in the same section when we were blasting through. "Don't ****ing stand here! It's dangerous! Get off the trail!" was met with doe eyes. Alright, so I probably shouldn't curse at teenagers.

After about 18 runs split between Wookie and Lichen It, about 6 of us did a final no pedal run down Crusher. We were all calling each other out so no one cheated. It was actually the most fun lap down RC that any of us had done to date. Ridiculously slow in a few sections, but stupid fast in others. Highly recommended. Chainless race anyone?
    insert witty comment here

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Made it up for the first time today, and was really impressed at what's been done up there. Super dry and loose, but still pretty impressive. RC is fun as hell at speed, and wookie is a really fun tech trail too. The new single track shows promise once it get some rain and packs in some.

They really need a beginner trail to get the newbs off rock crusher though, so many people with no clue how to ride that type of trail holding many, many other people up. Had my worst crash of the season because some girl was at a dead standstill trying to ride down one of the berm sections in a blind corner. Off to the ER now.

Still, providing the arm isn't broken, can't wait to get back up there after some rain packs it down more. Beautiful scenery in the summer too.
    Sorry to hear about it Tare, I recently had a very similar incident. It's flat out dangerous to ride that mountain aggressively with the amount of new riders on the trails. I am definitely looking forward to one of two things (or both) happening:

A stupidly easy track opening to divert all the walmart bikes onto
    A stupidly difficult (WITH GATEWAY FEATURES) trail for the advanced rider to escape to

Hope your arms doing ok!

mtbr member

Pat on the back

To the Stevens crew. I hadn't been up there since the race and it was an awesome day today. I brought a great rider that hadn't been there yet and we talked about our runs the whole way home ( 4 hours back to good old Port Angeles. We left town at sunrise and came back at sunset totally stoked.

On the lift, you could see the excavator working away on the next trail. So stoked for the future there.

Great job Joel and crew!!!!

mtbr member
    Well, looks like the arm is going to be ok, which is good as I have a trip to whistler booked in two weeks. Just shredded and bruised for now, but I can live with that. Just glad me and the new bike came through ok!

Thanks to all the Stevens crew for all the work they've put in so far, so nice to have trails of this caliber so close to home (relatively speaking). Sounds like the advanced jump line is going in next, if it's anything like A-Line, I'll be happy to hang out there all day and let the walmarters have RC.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm a new rider and I totally support both: having a really easy trail, and gateway features on a hard one.

Today had a great day on RC and LI - couple of close calls, but no wipe-outs. I guess some here may say that I wasn't pushing it hard enough

In the meantime, there's just nothing else to do - we (the ones building skills) try as hard as we can, and the good riders have to look out for us. I understand it's not ideal, but it's the same on the snow: everywhere, advanced riders are responsible to always be in control. That's actually true for all riders, but we know that the newbs are often out of control...

Snow and dirt are different, as ski runs are pretty wide, compared to single track. However, I suspect SPBP needs all the new riders: they probably cannot make back the investment and turn profit just from the experienced kore riders. Novice riders need to know they are welcome, and also that there is reasonable safety. They also need to be taught where it's safe to stop, etc.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my friend and I were discussing the differences between ski runs and mtn bike runs like this too. Like you, we also thought about the fact that most ski runs are wide enough that faster people can safely get around slower skiers when needed. Maybe Stevens just needs some wider areas I'm a few places on the way down where it's easier for passing or pulling off to the side. At least until more trails open up. For comparison, some thing like Crank It Up is wide enough in plenty of places that it's pretty rare slower riders to cause a pile up like that.

I understand the point of riders in front of you have the right of way, but at the same time, when you have someone on a rental bike whos literally sitting down the entire way down with 12 riders stacked up behind them trying to pass, well....

Sometimes I think trying to carry ski rules over to narrow mtn bike trails just doesn't work.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes, I think you are right - we can't just take snow rues and apply for dirt...

It's easy to say just use common sense, but I guess it's not always that common.

I'm new on the bike so at the top I try to space my run from the other riders, and also stop in the several little clearings - that also helps me catch my breath so I don't do stupid things just because I'm tired

I was caught only once today on RC so I slowed down and stayed on the left side to let the faster rider pass me on the right. This may sound weird, but I was giving him the 'main' line as there was a right berm coming up for a left turn - I was staying out of it so that he can rail it. Not sure if this was the right thing to do though... He thanked me, so I guess I did alright?

Anyone care to craft some suggested rules?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bike Parks have been around long enough now for several good rule boards to come up already. As noted, Stevens will take any and all that are will to pay and not sue. And, I don't blame 'em. But, as with any other new area to ride crafted by bikers for bikers (sound familiar?), it's going to be overrun by folks wanting to check it out. Some will keep coming back and get better. Others won't once they know what it's about if that's not for them. But, in the mean time, there are going to be a lot of noobs out there. And, that's good for SPBP and the sport in general. So, we more experienced riders need to cut them all a little slack if possible and just put down the Red Bull. Adding a beginner line won't really take all the beginners off RC. It will help, yes. But, there will always be some less experienced riders trying to push themselves on a little harder line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Bike Parks have been around long enough now for several good rule boards to come up already. As noted, Stevens will take any and all that are will to pay and not sue. And, I don't blame 'em. But, as with any other new area to ride crafted by bikers for bikers (sound familiar?), it's going to be overrun by folks wanting to check it out. Some will keep coming back and get better. Others won't once they know what it's about if that's not for them. But, in the mean time, there are going to be a lot of noobs out there. And, that's good for SPBP and the sport in general. So, we more experienced riders need to cut them all a little slack if possible and just put down the Red Bull. Adding a beginner line won't really take all the beginners off RC. It will help, yes. But, there will always be some less experienced riders trying to push themselves on a little harder line.
    Definitely a lot of truth in this post, sometimes we (the guys that take themselves too seriously) need to relax a bit and remember that we all started somewhere.

mtbr member
    Sometimes people just need to remember that being aware of what's going on around you in a busy park involves more than just looking forward
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great discussion, I'll look up what other parks are doing

Tarekith - glad you and the bike are OK

mtbr member
    How were the crowds this past weekend? A group of us are going to head up there on Sunday and I hope it isn't too busy.

mtbr member
    Really no line at all for the chair, maybe just two people deep at most. The real issue was like I mentioned earlier in this thread, even if we gave the people ahead of us a decent head start, 9 times out of 10 we were still crawling along stuck behind people 3/4 of the way down RC. Wookie was fine (or people let us pass), and I didn't see anyone on the new singletrack the couple times I rode it. The first hour the park was open was by far the best, still not many newer riders up there yet.

The words "frustrating" and "traffic jam" were used a lot by the people we were chatting with in the parking lot as we were wrapping my arm and packing up to leave. Still really fun overall, but I guess just have some patience and make sure you really spot your line in some of the tighter corners.

I think next time I go I'll make a T-Shirt that says "If you hear Rider Up that means scoot over slow-poke".

I'm kidding Bob!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Sounds just like the when I went last month. I noticed early morning and late in the day is when you could runs down RC without hitting traffic. SW was always clear.

mtbr member
    One thing about RC is that most of the trail has plenty of room to pass. The really annoying part is when you get behind a decent rider who will not let you pass. Ill ask to pass and have loud ass Hope hubs so its pretty apparent I'm a foot from there rear tire and they still wont let you pass sometimes. I've found that the beginners are usually pretty cool and let you pass as soon as they feel comfortable to pull over.

I think Parents need to have a little better idea of whats going on as well when they have young kids with them. One guy had a 8 to 10 year old kid with him yesterday who seemed pretty over his head on RC. At one point my buddies and I had just gotten on the chair and looked over to the last step down and the kid was just stopped right at the lip. The dad was all ready down telling the kid to just walk his bike down. Fortunately we started hollering and yelling for them to get out of the way and the dad ran up and helped him get off to the side but that could have been really bad. Its no different than the snowboard parks when soccer moms would have kids sliding down the landings of the big jumps.... not good. We all need to learn somewhere but I think people need a little more education since common sense is usually lacking. Especially if the riders are really unaware of ski/snowboard rules.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2 choices

You had 2 choices 1 negative and one positive you choose the negative. Instead of yelling at them to get out of the way share your experience and give the kid some positive vibes. At some time you stopped to check something out and may have held someone else up. The one thing to keep in mind is Buisnesses like Stevens Pass will only invest in things like bike parks when they believe the sport will grow. Which means people that have never participated in the sport will have to stop and check things out when they are trying to progress. I could share a bunch of medifors but I am sure you have heard them before. If you need a reminder just think about a fish.

mtbr member
    No negativity at all. We didn't yell in an angry way. We were thirty feet above them, Not a lot we could have done other than holler and get their attention. It was just for safety. Would you want to see a 150 to 200 lb rider hit that jump (with a very blind landing) at 20-25 mph and land on a 10 year old? As far as helping out, one of my friends who was on the chair with me helped the same kid out a bit on Lichen it earlier in the day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Good to hear. The way your post was written I might have jumped to conclusions. Maybe this will give the guys at Stevens the idea of having some practice features ie.(drops, rollers and jumps)

mtbr member
    Featured in Bike Magazine:

Heavy Pedal Tour Video #5: Stevens Pass

mtbr member
    Was up there 2 weeks ago. First time this season, went on one of the muddy and empty weekends last year. My 160mm Mojo HD was a lot of fun. I was able to run Wookie pretty quickly but definitely would recommend and have preferred a full DH bike.

Early morning was definitely the best time to be there, not many on the trail at all but at the same time the hikers were making the chairlift stop every 100ft or so. Took a really long time to get to the top.

Funnily enough, the only place I crashed was on lichen it. The loose powder in the corners, one caught my front wheel and I went OTB head first into a big root. Glad I had my FF and knee/shin guards on. I do think there should be a minimum required equipment like others were saying. At least Full face and knee/shins.

RC wasn't bad but toward the end of our day(maybe 2-3pm) it started getting a little more crowded with less experienced riders. All moved out of the way as soon as they realized someone was coming up behind them though.

I honestly felt bad for the people that spent money on the lift ticket and left after one ride because they got in over their head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Was up there a couple weekends ago on my trail bike. Had a very good time. Enjoyed the three trails, but most preferred lapping Wookie. Looking forward to more trails getting built up there. Thanks to those who had the vision, patience and persistence to see this park through.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How much longer will the bike park be open this season?

I looked for a calendar on the web site, but didn't see one.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hoping the park stays open as long as possible! Especially with predictions for a sub-par snow year...

Can't believe this, but I am actually not looking forward to snow as much as previous years - only thanks to SPBP! (Of coourse, I won't mind blower powder every weekend either, doesn't even have to be lift-served)

Rode RC and LI this Sunday afternoon, it was great! Lichen it has been expanded from the last time I was there (2 weeks ago). It's great to have the 2 blue options which are so different. I need to ride Wookie more though, that's why I'm hoping Stevens stays open as long as possible; I need to improve my skills before I spend more time on SW.

Last word is all yours...
    This weekend is the final day of the season for SPBP.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    crap crap CRAP

This was very bad news, indeed... Hoping more people chime in here and show up so that they keep it open, even if it's just 1 day of the weekend.

What are the rules when they close - can we push our bikes on the access roads and still use the trails? Like when ski areas on National Forest land close, you are free to climb and ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bumping this. I really want to check out the park this year. I am not a downhiller and was wondering if my Heckler would hold up ok on the easy and intermediate trails. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
    Bumping this. I really want to check out the park this year. I am not a downhiller and was wondering if my Heckler would hold up ok on the easy and intermediate trails. Thanks.
    Yes, your Heckler should do just fine. Drop the seat as far as you can and let'er rip. IMHO a full face helmet is a must. Knee/shin and elbow guards recommended.

Have fun and be safe!
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I saw an "xc" rider on a Cannondale Lefty (single leg fork) and he was solid on the hardest trail. Also seen many people on hardtails, and carbon AM bikes. If you have some bike-handling skills and don't bomb recklessly, you'll be OK

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sweet thanks for the replies, trip planning in progress.

mtbr member
    IT's all doable on just about any bike, just depends on how fast and comfy you want to go
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    I actually prefer Stevens on my 150mm Stumpy over a 180-200mm bike.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 17 Whyte T130, 18 Giant Glory Advanced

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I actually prefer Stevens on my 150mm Stumpy over a 180-200mm bike.
    That was a 29er Stumpy evo right? I bet the 29" wheels roll smoother over the brake bumps and rocks eh?

To the Heckler question - absolutely. You'll love cruising Rock Crusher and the Int. Singletrack trail Lichen It. Slingshot Wookie will just be a bit more technical on your Heckler than on a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ha! It wasn't so long ago that Hecklers were FR/DH bikes.

Maybe it was a while ago.

Damned kids...get off my lawn!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eerie View Post
    That was a 29er Stumpy evo right? I bet the 29" wheels roll smoother over the brake bumps and rocks eh?

To the Heckler question - absolutely. You'll love cruising Rock Crusher and the Int. Singletrack trail Lichen It. Slingshot Wookie will just be a bit more technical on your Heckler than on a DH bike.
    It is a 26". It was great on Rockcrusher and Lichen it and Slingshot was very ridable. Not at the speed a big bike can do, but it handled it very well.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 17 Whyte T130, 18 Giant Glory Advanced

Members who have read this thread: 0