Stevens Pass Bike Park RR- Mtbr.com
    Last word is all yours...

Stevens Pass Bike Park RR

Jimba and I went for a ride there today. Weather was perfect - overcast, some patches of fog, mild temps. We were hoping there had been some rain to pack the trails in, but no luck; still mostly bone dry and dusty/loose. Upside is that all three trails are complete top-to-bottom, and there were no lines.

My problematic Lyric 2-Step air decided to take a dump again, so I had one white-knuckled run on RC with it coming apart under me, before shackling my stricken Enduro to the car and ponying up to rent a Trek Session.

Next weekend is the last weekend of the season, so if you're thinking of hitting it, you need to get on it. Pray for some rain between now and then (forecast could use a prayer), but if you don't get it, go anyway; despite the dusty/loose conditions in places, still worth the $$ and very fun. Plus no road sections anymore.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ClkUdYJmr9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by r1de; 09-29-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice! Shoulda joined you.
    Got a lot done around the house and nearby though. So, it wasn't all bad.

mtbr member
    Next weekend is the last weekend? There isn't any info online about a closing day.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    how was it riding on the session vs your endure?

Quote Originally Posted by Agate View Post
    Next weekend is the last weekend? There isn't any info online about a closing day.
    They're not very good about the website, are they? They told me in person at the counter when I asked how much longer they'd be open. Just like the winter operations, they have some flexibility to change their mind I guess, but that was what I was told on Saturday.
    --
    -bp

Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    how was it riding on the session vs your endure?
    I've got nothing bad to say about the Enduro... that bike is a shredder and it's good for riding just about anywhere. But that's the key; it's good at a lot of things but not the best at anything. OTOH, the Session is a dedicated DH bike; heavier, slacker, dual crown, wide bars, super burly, single-ring. It slayed the Stevens trails with confidence. But I gave up trying to even pedal it back up to the rental shop from the bottom of the lift.

So it's apples and oranges.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    I've got nothing bad to say about the Enduro... that bike is a shredder and it's good for riding just about anywhere. But that's the key; it's good at a lot of things but not the best at anything. OTOH, the Session is a dedicated DH bike; heavier, slacker, dual crown, wide bars, super burly, single-ring. It slayed the Stevens trails with confidence. But I gave up trying to even pedal it back up to the rental shop from the bottom of the lift.

So it's apples and oranges.
    Just to add to this
    I was the other guy on an enduro there on sunday... It can definitely HANDLE all three trails at Stevens. It did feel like not enough bike on some of the drops of slingshot wookie. But you could definitely get down anything with a little skill. But you'd have more fun with a bigger bike. My fork actually stayed in one piece, but I have the Specialized e150...
    That said I wouldn't want any other bike for riding tiger/suntop/etc

I agree, it's a great bike to be your only bike around here, from Duthie to Middle Fork. I've ridden mine on the full range of trails at Stevens in the past and agree on Wookie; the DH bike charges harder and allows you to ride more aggressively, but if I hadn't had a mechanical I would have been hitting it all on my bike without a problem.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Another former Enduro owner here (upgraded to the Slayer 70 this year). I bought it back when I lived in Chicago knowing we were soon moving to Seattle, and I've never once regretted it. Pretty much one of the best do it all bikes ever made IMO. Definitely more than capable of hitting anything at Stevens, though how enjoyable that is is the key.

We were just up at Whistler this past weekend and after going back and forth on if I wanted to bring the Slayer or rent a Flatline, I eventually went with the Flatline. Many times I found myself riding and thinking that it would have been all doable on the Slayer (or Enduro), but it definitely would have been a much rougher experience. Having 8 inches of plush coil suspension to soak up the braking bumps alone makes a huge difference on how tired and sore you get at the end of the day.

To me, that's the real difference between the bigger downhill bikes and some of the burlier all mountain bikes that are getting more popular now. It takes a lot less energy to keep it pointed in the right direction at the speeds some of the bike park features require.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    May 2004
    And, as we can see in the video, Jimba still needs every ounce of speed possible to still bunny hop the tables on RC,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    And, as we can see in the video, Jimba still needs every ounce of speed possible to still bunny hop the tables on RC,
    Very true, I have to do a little pedaling to keep the speed I need to have fun. It could sure use a little more vert factor to keep a bit more speed up. there are a few jumps that I have a hard time believing anyone could clear just because there is not enough momentum going into them.

I hope they get a good "A Line" type trail going soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    +1000

Whistler Bike Park - A-Line Sept. 2012 - YouTube
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Was up there today. Was a bit cold but really a great day for riding. I did have one issue though.

I don't even want to say it because I feel like a jerk, but it really has to be brought to attention. It seems there isn't any sort of age restriction for the bike park. I think that needs to be changed. I understand that you're making memories for you kid, and that the park doesn't belong to me, it's for everyone. I think it's great that you're introducing them to mountain biking, and exercise, more parents need to do the same thing. That's what makes me feel bad about saying it.

There were multiple occasions today where I would come off a jump or around a corner and there would be a small child sitting in the middle of the trail(by middle, i do mean middle. Not just slightly on trail to the side) with their parent just standing there watching them.

I do understand it is my responsibility to be in complete control of my bike at all times. I should be able to come to a stop in time and/or avoid any unexpected obstacle(kids). I did that today, a few times. I have no issue with that at all.

With that said, someone is going to plow into one of these kids and severely injure them if not kill them, it's just a matter of time. Please be a responsible parent and stop risking your kids life.

There are a lot of trails around to teach them mountain biking skills and to be honest, there's no way a young child on an 18'' or smaller bike can safely make their way to the bottom of the existing trails, without risking conflict with other users.

As a parent, I have to agree with you... There is nowhere at Stevens presently that is well suited to kids on bikes. Lichen It is pretty close for my oldest - maybe next year - but I'd still be bringing up the rear to provide protection and coach her off the trail when needed.

I can actually say a similar thing about Duthie though; a lot of the beginner trails there still get action from people that are much bigger and faster than a kid, and with tricky sightlines and advanced optional features (that put fast riders on mellow trails), I'm pretty cautious even when I take my kids for a ride on bootcamp.

My preference to this problem is to have trails that you have to be under a certain age to ride - like a kids' (+parents) only trail. Of course policing it is voluntary, but most people would abide, I think (how rad does a 30yo armor-wearing dude look ripping down a kids' trail?) We don't really have anything like that in the area that I'm aware of. It would work well at Stevens where you could have a safe place for kids to ride and parents can still get a few laps in.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Daisy Chair trail? :P
    Last edited by jojotherider; 10-06-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: wrong resort...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Was up there today. Was a bit cold but really a great day for riding. I did have one issue though.

I don't even want to say it because I feel like a jerk, but it really has to be brought to attention. It seems there isn't any sort of age restriction for the bike park. I think that needs to be changed. I understand that you're making memories for you kid, and that the park doesn't belong to me, it's for everyone. I think it's great that you're introducing them to mountain biking, and exercise, more parents need to do the same thing. That's what makes me feel bad about saying it.

There were multiple occasions today where I would come off a jump or around a corner and there would be a small child sitting in the middle of the trail(by middle, i do mean middle. Not just slightly on trail to the side) with their parent just standing there watching them.

I do understand it is my responsibility to be in complete control of my bike at all times. I should be able to come to a stop in time and/or avoid any unexpected obstacle(kids). I did that today, a few times. I have no issue with that at all.

With that said, someone is going to plow into one of these kids and severely injure them if not kill them, it's just a matter of time. Please be a responsible parent and stop risking your kids life.

There are a lot of trails around to teach them mountain biking skills and to be honest, there's no way a young child on an 18'' or smaller bike can safely make their way to the bottom of the existing trails, without risking conflict with other users.
    I agree
    There are signs up there. It was at the top when you get off the lift.
    Do Not Stop On Trails.

mtbr member
    At least that's a start, would have saved me from the crash I had up there a couple weeks ago when someone stopped in a blind corner. Had the same issue with little kids at Duthie we were talking about on the Facebook page. Small tikes standing on the landings of the jumps on HLC and Semper, could have been very serious if they had been one foot to the left or right.

It's an interesting dilemma at Stevens though, and mainly just due to the lack of a real beginner trail for the absolute newbs to get comfortable on first. It's great seeing people learning and getting into the sport, but at the same time I'm not really keen on paying money to ride at a snails pace all day either. Everyone definitely has to stay in control and watch out for each other, but what's the point of having a trail with large berms and jumps if you constantly are going to slow to actually ride them?

Hopefully when they get some more trails open it helps things out, until then I think I'll just try and go on Friday when hopefully it's not as crowded. Or just save my money for Whistler.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member

And the very first thing on their safety page talks about age restrictions and using beginner trails:

- Safety Information
    Tarekith.com

Just roll it......
    I think these are really good points. It's not about you being in control....it's the fact that there on totally blind sections of trail and you are descending at a high rate of speed and often times you are in the air.

This really comes down to the parents who are either total newbs or just totally self-absorbed. There really should be some bike park 101 document that all parents should get when they buy a lift ticket. I can say definitively that if my little girl wants to ride the bike park with us when she's old enough, the first thing I'll do (other than riding sweep behind her) is to teach her to get to the side when she stops or better yet, pick a nice open spot to pull off where you're sure others can see you. The same goes with snow sports.

EB

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    You know when you want to ride the terrain park at Stevens in the winter, they make you watch a safety video that talks about some of the same things - staying within your abilities, not stopping below jumps, etc. After you watch the video you can get your park pass. Maybe they need to do the same thing for the summer trails.

mtbr member
    Excellent idea!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like that idea, but the problem is that every person would have to sit through the video. While this is a good thing, you create a back up of people trying to get on the mountain. I'd be pretty upset if I had to wait an hour or more before getting on the hill. In the winter, at least there's other parts of the mountain to ride.

That said, im sure there would be a way to make it work. Have one starting every 15 mins or so. I remember when I sat through the park video for Snoqualmie, I missed the start so had to wait an hour until the next one. Then sit through that and wait for my pass. 2 hours later im in the park. That would suck for biking at Stevens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    Very true, I have to do a little pedaling to keep the speed I need to have fun. It could sure use a little more vert factor to keep a bit more speed up. there are a few jumps that I have a hard time believing anyone could clear just because there is not enough momentum going into them.

How are you on the berms? I didnt have to peddle much if at all to be at jumping speed. Need to rail the berms and pump when you can. For me speed isn't the factor for the jumps on rc, it's the rounded/lack of lips. It certaintly seems like there isn't a spot on the trail where someone hasn't dragged their breaks to the detriment of the trail.

mtbr member
    I was at Stevens pass today with a group of friends. It got busy for a bit, but no wait was longer than 5 minutes. By about 1:30 there was zero lines.

Last time I rode Stevens I was on a 180mm 38lb Giant faith, and this time I was on a 27lb 2011 Stumpjumper. 140mm of travel was plenty for RC and Lichen It, but I could have use more travel on Slingshot.

The berms on RC were chewed up a bit, but I found them easy to just fly thru as long as you keep your speed up and trust your suspension. I also found the tables on RC were easier to clear on my SJ than the Faith, but I also don't have much "big bike" experience.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We rode SPBP Saturday. Was a good time but extremely dusty top to bottom. I have never seen dust like that this late in the year.

The trails need some dialing up and mainly just some moisture. Add 3 trails to the 3 they have and I would be very happy. Wookie was abit blown out but for the V10 it was no problem. Great to see so many riders out supporting the park. We all picked up T-shirts to get the word out.

I hope they are in it for the long haul, I would love to have a good park so close!

Sat. night we hit Oktoberfest in Leavenworth than Sunday rode some good shuttle trails nearby.

I anticipate alot of people pulling good leavenworth/Steven's riding trips!
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

mtbr member
    I love the wookie and think the more it gets torn up the better it gets. I was running it on my 160mm mojo hd pretty well. Definitely my favorite. I ran from the trail sign to the lift in around 4:30.not too bad on a "smaller" bike really.

mtbr member
    I thought wookie was easier than it was a few months ago. It seemed rockier last time.

4;30 is a pretty good time. we were around 4:45 on 140 bikes.

mtbr member
    Nice, a lot of people were shocked/giving my friend a hard time for bringing his 140 stump jumper.

Members who have read this thread: 0