Stevens Pass Bike Park Passes on sale NOW!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Stevens Pass Bike Park Passes on sale NOW!

A new chapter for Stevens Pass and the Stevens Pass Bike Park has begun. A limited number of "Drop in Alliance" passes are on sale now. Go to http://www.stevenspassbikepark.com/blog/post/000000033 for more info.

So stoked. Can't wait to find some dirt and start building!

Joel

mtbr member
    Sweet Jesus!!!!

mtbr member
    Sigh... I would be all over this if school wasn't taking me to Boston for the next 4 years.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFivenWhiteGuy
    Sweet Jesus!!!!

Because of the price? (That was my initial reaction...)

I'm sure you'll find 200 people to pony that up though. Waiting to see what the daily lift rate will be.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    looks like its also for 4 years though...

mtbr member
    Well, that was my reaction to getting a lift accessed bike park close by AND to the price lol. WAAAY too steep for me, though an engraved gold stem cap would totally be worth the 1k

mtbr member
    Well considering the seasons pass at highlands in new hampshire is $330 (looking there because it will be close to where I live), this gets you 2 more seasons of lift access and some extra schwag. That and I'm sure this is because they need a large amount of money up front to get things rolling, so its helping them while giving the customer a good price. That, and I think a day pass there is about $40, so I'm sure the SP pass will be worth it.

mtbr member
    I suppose. Wonder if they will have some sort of a program that gets people out there digging, like build trails for a day and get a one day lift ticket. Don't know of many "professional" trail builders for hire.

mtbr member
    A winter ski season pass is $399 if you buy it before October, so I have to think a summer bike season pass will be closer to $300, or less in year 1. Paying upfront for 4 years for $1000 before anything's been built seems really steep, even dressed up with stickers and stem caps. When you struggle to sell 20 of these packages please don't think people aren't up for the park, I can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve77
    When you struggle to sell 20 of these packages please don't think people aren't up for the park, I can't wait!!!
    Bingo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i gasped so hard at the price, my monocle fell out.

El Malo
    It's like asking your first date for anal $ex as you're being seated for a nice dinner.

Sure, it may sound rude to most, but hey, you're bound to find a few hungry ho's out there... it's not personal, just business, knowutimean, Vern
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

canuck
    Lmao add vergin to that

Sort I'm drunk in a Chicago bar

mtbr member
    Seems a bit steep to me, but I have to assume each year the park should get better and the prices will go up as more trails and features get built. I also don't know to many people willing to shell out $1000.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    . I also don't know to many people willing to shell out $1000.
    Same ones that shell out $1600 to put a new Fox fork on their $4000 dollar bike that can't climb.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The cost does not seem steep to me at all, however paying it up front, based on the limited real info on what more specifically will be built makes it a tough sell IMO.

If there was a prelim/phased trail map which had some more detail on trail length/vert/trail rating...it would help potential buyers decide.

I'm not really the market for this pass but totally get behind this effort and wish the park mucho success!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo EDDY
    If there was a prelim/phased trail map which had some more detail on trail length/vert/trail rating...it would help potential buyers decide.
    There is. Read "Appendix 6 - Summer Plan" found here:

http://www.stevenspass.com/Stevens/t...ure-plans.aspx

There are 3 trails (1 beginner, 1 intermediate, 1 advanced) planned initially, off of Hogsback. Then more as development progresses. I think the radness is going to take some time, so no season passes for me yet.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    For the # of years and perks involved with the Pass I don't think it's too much to offer either.

mtbr member
    Well yeah, if it was for whistler it would be a good deal because you already know it's awesome. This just seems like a lot of cash to put down in advance when it's just a trail map for now

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Could it be that its also geared toward sponsored racers? They will likely be able to get the funding from their sponsors for training purposes.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    And there's no guarantee you'll get anything close to your money's worth. After the 04-05 "season that wasn't," Snoqualmie gave season pass holders a freebie on the next season while Stevens gave their pass holders an upraised middle finger and a Nelson laugh. So if those three planned trails don't open this season, or next, or if those three trails are all they have three seasons from now... "Ha ha."

I do expect that the $1000 price would probably be worth it in the end, but on the other hand, I figure I gamble enough money on Stevens every year already. I'd be seriously bummed if the bike park plans didn't pan out and I was $1000 poorer. Not gonna risk that.

Especially after the way the jumps have been at the terrain park this year. Or should I say, the way the jumps haven't been in the lower section. Their terrain park crew built a killer park for the last few years but this year was pretty disappointing by comparison.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle
    There is. Read "Appendix 6 - Summer Plan" found here:
    ahh thanks I missed that. It's always relative. $1000 bucks is A LOT to many, but a drop in the bucket to some. If I lived closer, it would be something to seriously consider, personally I think it is cool to get in on the ground level and worth some of the asking price.

Bottom line, you don't have to buy, and they are going to start building, pretty damned cool if you ask me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think the simple economics at the gas pump will motivate folks to hit Stevens instead of Whistler. Knowing that will likely be the case it should motivate the Stevens bike park crew to get after it. The limiting factor will be the current snowpack which appears to be increasing. I'll also note one of the perks of the pass is to get pre-ride access to the trails. Pretty cool if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Doesn't even have to be gas prices, EVERYTHING is expensive up at Whistler for the most part. Except a slice of pizza and a coke, very glad that was only $5.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    May 2004
    At the least your $1K will go to fight the next legal wrench the sierra club throws into the gears.

How many wolverines did they find up there? I will be surprised to see a dozer blade hit the dirt
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower
    2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

mtbr member
    I was up there yesterday (epic btw), and they had posters for the bike park everywhere. Was really wild seeing something like that up there.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    This is all very exciting! I really don't think that $1000 is too steep. Yeah, it's a lot upfront, but it's for five years, you get some cool perks, and you are helping out a local bike park! I think that Stevens has a pretty good plan put together, and the Park has a lot of potential. I don't have a grand to fork over, but if they start releasing single season passes, I'll be the first in line! If nothing else but to show support for what they are trying accomplish...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lots of good info getting put out in this forum. I know this pass is not for everyone, we get that. Stoked to people so fired up. Can't wait till it stops snowing so we can start pushing. I can't believe I just said that.

Joel

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 888-rydr
    This is all very exciting! I really don't think that $1000 is too steep. Yeah, it's a lot upfront, but it's for five years, you get some cool perks, and you are helping out a local bike park! I think that Stevens has a pretty good plan put together, and the Park has a lot of potential. I don't have a grand to fork over, but if they start releasing single season passes, I'll be the first in line! If nothing else but to show support for what they are trying accomplish...
    Ill be right there behind ya Cant wait, it will be nice to have a cool park so close to home.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    $1000/5 years is nothing compared to what most people blow on winter lift tickets.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    eh, like someone mentioned earlier, you can't make a direct comparison against the price of a normal season pass. Stevens park isn't fully built out so you're not getting as much out of the pass. I'd equate it to paying for a winter season pass to Stevens but only having 3 runs built out.

i'm looking forward to it still.

mtbr member
    and even when it's built out summer should be cheaper, look at Whistler, winter pass is $1200 and summer bike pass is $500. That said I can't wait for it either, stop snowing dammit!

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    Anyone know if they're sold out? I'm potentially interested.....potentially.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We are listening to folks about $1k being a lot up front and working on a payment plan to sell off the rest. Hoping to have that info out this PM. Stay tuned.

Joel

Just roll it......
    Joel,

Kudos on the progress. About the DIA pass, my comments are this:

I've ridden Whistler since the very beginning. I think this year will be my 8th? season I've got a pass there. I realize that you guys are going to do a great job with your park (and I'm stoked!), but I also know what Whistler was like during those early years and it was NOTHING like it is today.

I know you folks are committing to have 3 trails in this season and that, combined with the other infrastructure items, will be a LOT of work from scratch. So, for people like me in B'ham where we are a stone's throw from the Shore/Whistler and, frankly, have world class DH trails in Whatcom County, this is going to be a hard sell for an upfront expense with limited trails for the first few seasons.

I'm in no way trying to be a Debbie Downer, but it is the reality for a lot of people. I'm not sure how you guys are combating these doubts, but those sentiments have been thrown around on our local email lists from people that, trust me, are your CORE market.

Cheers,
    EB

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Snoqualmie pass did lift-served mountain biking in the past - for two or three years, if I remember right. They didn't offer five-year passes up front, but if they had, it would have been a losing deal.

A payment plan sounds like a great way to offset these risks, especially if the payments are tied to development milestones. Something like...

1/4 up front
    1/4 when the first three trails open
    1/4 when the next three trails open

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    Snoqualmie pass did lift-served mountain biking in the past - for two or three years, if I remember right. They didn't offer five-year passes up front, but if they had, it would have been a losing deal.

A payment plan sounds like a great way to offset these risks, especially if the payments are tied to development milestones. Something like...

1/4 up front
    1/4 when the first three trails open
    Good suggestion. Something else to consider, several years ago during a TERRIBLE snow year, Snoqualmie offered to extend people's winter season's pass for the next season. Steven's Pass didn't do anything even close to that and that did leave a bad taste in a lot of my buddy's mouths. I had an Alpie pass, so I was good to go and continued to purchase season's passes until we moved north.

EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 05-13-2011 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. We are making some progress and the payment plan is in place. We have a good showing at the last few nights of the Pedal Driven shows and will be in North Bend tonight. Follow the link for more info on the payment plan and other questions that have been coming up.

Thanks again everyone for the support. Get you passes now they are moving quick!

Joel

http://stevenspassbikepark.com/blog/post/000000034

mtbr member
    You should post the trail map you were showing people at Pedal Driven, very impressive, especially that 2 mile long trail.
    Tarekith.com

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Even more helpful would be some information about the timeline for building out trails, and what happens to the DIA membership fee if the timeline isn't met.

If Stevens changes their mind about building Phase 2, or if Phase 2 doesn't happen for 5 years, then what? It's way too late to dispute the credit card charges.

I hate to pester you guys about this but honestly, I just built up a nice bike that I fully intend to ride at Stevens all I can, and $1000 for the planned park is a reasonable deal, and I can afford it with or without the payment plan... but $1000 for a promise of a park just doesn't sit well with me. Given a reasonable story for 'plan B' if the current plans don't materialize, I will join the DIA. But without that, it's just too much to gamble.

I've been a winter pass holder for a few years, btw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Follow the link for maps to your hearts content.

Joel

http://www.stevenspass.com/Stevens/t...ure-plans.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    You should post the trail map you were showing people at Pedal Driven, very impressive, especially that 2 mile long trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    NWS - I will try and answer your questions. If not let me know...

Timeline - The plan is two trails by Labor day Crank it Up and Aline as comparisons. Maybe the advanced single track by the end of Sept? Depends on builid, etc. 2012 would be the adv single track if not this summer and then the Int single track. Beg trail is last to be built in the Phase 1. This summer is really soft opening with no rental, retail, etc. Next summer we will offer that.

I have 7 years into this project and haven't even started building yet. There are no plans of changing our minds now. Phase 2 hits the FS this summer and should take a 1-2 years for approval. This has another 20+ trails in it. Right now we need to get this off the ground and the sale of DIA passes will make that happen.

Feel free to hit me back here or direct at my email [email protected].

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by NWS
    Even more helpful would be some information about the timeline for building out trails, and what happens to the DIA membership fee if the timeline isn't met.

If Stevens changes their mind about building Phase 2, or if Phase 2 doesn't happen for 5 years, then what? It's way too late to dispute the credit card charges.

I hate to pester you guys about this but honestly, I just built up a nice bike that I fully intend to ride at Stevens all I can, and $1000 for the planned park is a reasonable deal, and I can afford it with or without the payment plan... but $1000 for a promise of a park just doesn't sit well with me. Given a reasonable story for 'plan B' if the current plans don't materialize, I will join the DIA. But without that, it's just too much to gamble.

I've been a winter pass holder for a few years, btw.

mtbr member
    Price makes sense to me. Even if you subtract this year, that's $250/yr which is a pretty good deal for those of us planning to go a LOT. The park isn't going to flop and each year it will get better. Besides, I need a new jersey.

Can't wait for my member packet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Right on Transfer congrats! Welcome to the family. Look forward to ripping laps with you soon. Feel free to email with any questions, comments or whatever. Thanks for the support.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Transfer
    Price makes sense to me. Even if you subtract this year, that's $250/yr which is a pretty good deal for those of us planning to go a LOT. The park isn't going to flop and each year it will get better. Besides, I need a new jersey.

Can't wait for my member packet.

I just got goth served!
    I think this is your answer:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V8raRFXrkR4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    insert witty comment here

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are still a few more of the DIA passes left. Will be sold out in the next few days. If interested you can go to the website for more info www.stevensbikepark.com.

Thanks to all of you who have already dropped in!

Joel

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Joel,

I stopped by the Pass Sunday on my way to Levy. The snow level is freakish! Are you guys in wait and see mode? Or are there snow clearing efforts in the areas where the trails are planned?

Stevens Pass BikePark

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The video above hits it well. We have pushed about all the snow we can and now are waiting for the melt. Crews are ready to get started. Heading out on the hill today to take a look. Will snap some pics and update later.

Joel

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenspass View Post
    There are still a few more of the DIA passes left. Will be sold out in the next few days. If interested you can go to the website for more info www.stevensbikepark.com.

Thanks to all of you who have already dropped in!

Joel
    50% today, and 50% when work starts on phase 2, and we have a deal!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good idea, wish I could but can't do it sorry.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    50% today, and 50% when work starts on phase 2, and we have a deal!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No hard feelings. I just can't swing a thousand-dollar unsecured loan to a brand new company whose future depends on a government decision. I do hope it all works out though, because if phase 2 comes through I'm going to be up there quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I know it is a commitment. Keep in mind we do have FS approval to start building. As for Phase 2 the big hurdle was getting phase 1 approved that is what took so long. WIll not take that long for phase 2, even though it is still a process...

Joel

No hard feelings. I just can't swing a thousand-dollar unsecured loan to a brand new company whose future depends on a government decision. I do hope it all works out though, because if phase 2 comes through I'm going to be up there quite a bit.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenspass View Post
    I know it is a commitment. Keep in mind we do have FS approval to start building. As for Phase 2 the big hurdle was getting phase 1 approved that is what took so long. WIll not take that long for phase 2, even though it is still a process...

Joel
    It's not the commitment that's holding me back, it's the risk. If this money was going to be in escrow or something, so I could be sure I'd get it back if your plans fell through, I would have signed up already. Or even $500 up front and $500 when phase 2 starts construction.

But loaning $1000 to a brand new business - one that still needs government approval - is just more risk than I can stomach.

How about a deal where if the bike park doesn't open for 10 weekends one summer, DIA members get a full pass for the following winter? Does that sound reasonable?

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    On a related note, when is phase 2 construction expected to start?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Right now the DIA is what it is. Can't cross the lines into winter. Sorry.

Joel

It's not the commitment that's holding me back, it's the risk. If this money was going to be in escrow or something, so I could be sure I'd get it back if your plans fell through, I would have signed up already. Or even $500 up front and $500 when phase 2 starts construction.

But loaning $1000 to a brand new business - one that still needs government approval - is just more risk than I can stomach.

How about a deal where if the bike park doesn't open for 10 weekends one summer, DIA members get a full pass for the following winter? Does that sound reasonable?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have 20+ trails mapped and GPS'd in Phase 2. Goes on the FS radar this Fall and should take about 1 1/2 to 2 years for approval. We will be building out Phase 1 during this time and will roll right into Phase 2 once approved so building should never stop.

Joel

On a related note, when is phase 2 construction expected to start?

Rider
    Hey Joel,

Are you going to have any build days where people can come up to help shovel some dirt?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Unfortunately I can't have volunteers as a for profit company. It is illegal. Wish I could we would have 100's of people willing to come and dig. We will have a 100% paid crew.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    Hey Joel,

Are you going to have any build days where people can come up to help shovel some dirt?

Fast, not that fast
    What's the actual partnership with gravitylogic? I'm a Colorado biker soon to relocate to your neck of the woods. Really sad about leaving winter park and all that gravity logic has done for them over the last few years. I've seen what they can do here. Do you guys have a long term plan/deal with them? Hope so. Hope to be seeing you all up there later this season too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes. We have been with GL since the original feasibility study we did 7 years ago. Layout and design was done with them. We will have them with us during the whole build this summer. We will provide labor and they will project manage the build. They also have an operator coming with them for the first month to train our guys up. Basically the same relationship as WP. We were out there a few years ago riding there and checking it out.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by EvenFlow View Post
    What's the actual partnership with gravitylogic? I'm a Colorado biker soon to relocate to your neck of the woods. Really sad about leaving winter park and all that gravity logic has done for them over the last few years. I've seen what they can do here. Do you guys have a long term plan/deal with them? Hope so. Hope to be seeing you all up there later this season too.

Fast, not that fast
    Niiiice. The flow they've brought to winterpark brings me great joy. They've kinda left keystone in the dust with their work. Stoked!

I'll support you guys and give you my money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Evenflow. Will be making laps soon!

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by EvenFlow View Post
    Niiiice. The flow they've brought to winterpark brings me great joy. They've kinda left keystone in the dust with their work. Stoked!

I'll support you guys and give you my money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We are down to less the 20 passes left for the DIA. If you are on the fence now is the time.

Joel

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    DIA passes are all sold! Thanks to all of you who dropped into the DIA. Crews start tomorrow!

Joel

mtbr member
    May 2010

Get your DIA pass before they are gone

Get one, you will not regret it.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moorewilliam View Post
    Get one, you will not regret it.
    Err, ummm, well, nevermind.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Woops, didn't see all passes are gone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can we get an update on the construction progress and opening schedule?

mtbr member
    Yup, would love to know if you're still on target for a labor day weekend opening?

You can see some of the progress here btw: http://www.facebook.com/stevenspassbikepark

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We are still shooting for something by Labor Day but the snow has really put us behind. We are out 7 days a week building on the intermediate excavated trail and the advance single track. We are posting almost daily pics and video on facebook, twitter, our website, and will try to post more timely updates to this forum as well. Right now I am spending more time on the hill than the office though.

Joel

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Joel,

Get back out there and grab your shovel. Don't put it down!!

If you're spending any time giving updates maybe you can get a Seattle Times writer and photog up there to do a little article on how things are shaping up and when folks can expect to come up and put tire to dirt.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So is labor day open just for dia folks. Will the public have an opportunity this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We are hoping for labor day public opening but the snow has delayed us. Shooting for something in September for everyone. DIA will ride prior to public opening no matter when that is.

Joel

builder
    Feb 2009
    When is the first DIA event? When do we get the swag we paid for?

The Facebook pics look great.....congrats on what appears to be a great build.

Look forward to making some tracks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dirt Pirate there was an email that went out did you get it?

Joel

Man without bike
    Jun 2004
    Just got done checking out the facebook pics. Looks good. Will have to get a sitter and check it out hopefully soon.

mtbr member

Dig dig dig dig !!!

Hey Bros !

New in WA, moved from Detroit proper.

Can't wait to get onto a real mountain !! Best of luck in finishing the first course. I'll be there for opening day to the public. From what I read, this September.... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed you are on schedule !!

DIG DIG DIG !!!

Peace,
    Griff

Members who have read this thread: 0