Skookum-Top (conditions 6/20)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Skookum-Top (conditions 6/20)

Rode Sun Top and down Skookum yesterday. We pedaled up 7315, but this road is in superb shape. I'll bet you could drive your lowered teen-ager import car up there without dragging your coffee-can-esque tail pipe even once.....if that's what you drive.

Gee, I suppose Sun Top isn't really ready yet. Probably spent an hour walking through firm, deep snow high on the ridge. We got suckered in because after two or three small patches of snow by the upper parking lot, the way up 1183 was casual, until we were pretty committed to it and then we encountered snow deep enough that we had minor trouble piecing together the trail. Followed by an incalculable number of blow-downs. But as my buddy Brian reminded me, "You can't buy this kind of adventure." Once beyond this mess, my first ride down Sun Top did not disappoint.

Late to meet our running buddy at the car, we contemplated riding down 410 to save time, and that's when we learned that attractive females were running down Skookum. Perhaps the bikers who informed us of the "special conditions/scenery" were pulling our legs, in order to exploit our weaknesses to enhance our workout. They seemed pretty honest, and so the decision was thereby made easy, and we don't regret the rodeo ride over wet roots and rocks on our hardtails. My frozen feet regained feeling after a few miles. And no, the aforementioned eye candy was not fiction created to sucker us into riding Skookum. All I can say is, "Ausgezeichnet!"

High water near the bottom of Skookum, which forced a short woodsy detour last week, had receded allowing a boggy passage.

Now some pix:

Brian on wheels, Don on foot.

Pope gettin' suckered up 1183.

Trail? What trail?

Trail. We got trail.

"You can't buy adventure like this."

Once the mess is behind.'

Think your back hurts? Shove this in your lunch hole!
    Last edited by pope; 06-21-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz...which is extinct. FZ

Members who have read this thread: 0