RR: Klone Peak Loop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

RR: Klone Peak Loop

Did a variation of Zilly's Klone Peak ride today. The seasonal closure was lifted last Friday for most of the trails up there, so it was time to check them out. Some trails, including Chikamin Tie are still closed. We parked at the Middle Tommy TH, and pedaled up the road, the road is about 3 miles long, and not that steep. The North Tommy Trail is in pretty good shape, some dust, but not too bad. There are lots of switchbacks, but all are rideable. Not much shade here, so try to start the ride early. We took the short trip to the summit of Klone Peak, it's quick, the trail is a little sketchy, and we left the bikes about 1/4 mile from the top.

Coming down off of Klone Peak, we took the connector trail to Mad Lake. We thought Blue Creek Trail was still closed, but it wasn't. The trail to Mad Lake, and all the way to the intersection of Hunters Trail is fantastic! Rolling smooth dirt trails, and the corners have berms that haven't been blown out. Love the trails around Mad Lake. Hunters Trail is a bit of work, as the trail climbs, with some short steep pitches, but I think we rode the whole thing. Middle Tommy took us back to the truck to complete the loop. The trail has no sesonal closure, and I think this means it sees a lot of use. Lots of horse traffic. The trail has a layer of dust on it maybe an inch deep, but it wan't too bad. The trail climbs a bit, and there is a short section of HAB, maybe 1/4 mile. Once you get back on the bike though, you get a great descent. I think it's 5- 6 miles of nice twisty smooth single track in the trees with several rideable switchbacks. The trail is still dusty, but it doesn't matter, it is great.

Totals for the trip were 27.3 miles, 5,300' of climbing, in just under 4 hours of riding time. This loop has moved to the top of my list of favorite rides. It is a great trail, and I will be going back often I am sure.
    Last edited by buckhorn; 08-09-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Last word is all yours...
    Great RR, thanks! Call out to anybody with the knowledge and interest, the Evergreen Klone Peak Trail wiki page could really use a lot of love.
    --
    -bp

I should be out riding
    Was it south tommy you came down or middle tommy? I remember Middle as one of the better downhills out there, after the hike a bike portion that came as a surprise...

Good loop. That area is great when it's not too dusty. The route around two little lakes is nice too, usually smoother than the main Mad River trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Was it south tommy you came down or middle tommy? I remember Middle as one of the better downhills out there, after the hike a bike portion that came as a surprise...

Good loop. That area is great when it's not too dusty. The route around two little lakes is nice too, usually smoother than the main Mad River trail.
    Oops! Yes, it was Middle Tommy, I will edit the original post. I haven't ridden the Blue Creek Trail (which is the one that goes by Two Little Lakes), but there was significant trail work done last year on Upper Mad Lake Trail and they took out a ton of roots.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just wait until you ride Chik Tie. One of my all time favorites...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RR: Klone Peak Loop-chik-tie.jpg  

I should be out riding
    I think middle tommy is a better descent, but not even close to as scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Just wait until you ride Chik Tie. One of my all time favorites...
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report.

Been wanting to hit this one year after year. Must get out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0