Road rides outside seattle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Road rides outside seattle

Hey all,

I used to live in seattle about ten years ago and i went on long bike rides with my racing team in the winter. I remember that we started in Seattle, we may or may not have gone over some bridge and we ended up eventually out in literal farms. Like grumbly, gritty country roads with actual cows on the roadside and the smell of manure. It was lovely and though I of course prefer riding on dirt, sometimes a relaxing ride like the ones described above is really just the ticket.

These rides were from before the days of GPS so i really have no idea where we were. I think we were on the Burke-Gilman and/or Samamish river trail for a while but definitely not the whole time.

Any ideas where those rides might have gone? Any other good road rides with country roads, bonus if they also can include a gravel portion? Some of those roads were so rough and rutty they were basically gravel which is a-okay with me.

Any route maps or route cue resources that i should check? I'm looking at cascade bicycle club website and not finding anything so far.

thanks in advance y'all

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    and like where would this even have been? Snohomish?? Duvall??

mtbr member
    East Lake Sammamish Trail has some gravel sections still and can be accessed from Seattle via the Burke Gilman north to the Sammamish River Trail. Take that to Marymoor to connect to East Lake portion.

The Lake Washington loop has some alternate crushed limestone sections on the east side of the lake north or Renton too.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    okay nice! Thank you. I'll explore those and see if anything looks familiar.

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by devo83 View Post
    okay nice! Thank you. I'll explore those and see if anything looks familiar.
    The most common routes are the BG/SRT to around Woodinville, and then north and east to the farm roads, usually in the greater snoqualmie river valley. Up to Snohomish and back through Monroe is common, and Fall City to Monroe, particularly on West Snoqualmie road, usually has a ton of roadies. The portion near Fall City is probably underwater this weekend, I'd wait until things dry out some.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    there are so many routes / options that fit that description. if you look up Flying Wheels 100, put on by cascade, that's one route. also, you can access lots of gravel, from the SRT.

.... I'm guessing you went over the I-90 bridge, maybe did a lap around mercer island. from there you can get to the roads around lake sammanish, which ties into the SRT. and then depending on the ride leader, so many roads to hook into.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    finally a question a dirt roadie like me can answer with confidence! If we're talking a 3-4 hour ride that starts and ends in Seattle, here are some excellent paved roads through farm country that are at the far end of many loops of that length. Look them up on google maps, then connect the dots to get you to/from your start point:

- (approximately south to north)
    - SE Green Valley Road
    - SE Petrovitsky Road
    - SE Jones Road / Cedar Grove Road SE
    - SE May Valley Road
    - Tiger Mountain Road SE
    - SE Licorice Way
    - SE Issaquah - Fall City Road
    - W. Snoqualmie River Road SE
    - NE Carnation Farm Road
    - NE Big Rock Road
    - W. Snoqualmie Valley Rd