Relocation to the Seattle area: Best neighborhood/towns for avid MTB rider?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Relocation to the Seattle area: Best neighborhood/towns for avid MTB rider?

I may be relocating to the Seattle area for work this spring and I know there's plenty of awesome riding around. What areas do you all recommend living in for the best access to trails, training rides and etc?

I'm a Cat1/Expert racer and spend a fair bit of time training for that on the road and dirt. Also, I do work in the tech biz and will be working in the center of Seattle - I don't care so much about the car commute, but would like to bike commute in (natch), so this should be part of the equation. AND one more thing - I mix up my winter riding with a lot of nordic /backcountry ski touring so having good access to snow is critical too.

Any advice would be super useful!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Eastside along I-90 corridor: Bellevue, Issaquah/Sammamish, Snoqualmie, North Bend... Fall City even.
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Justin Vander Pol
    Well the closest trail head to Seattle is the Grand Ridge lot on Sunset Way and I-90. Here's link to it: https://goo.gl/maps/RX1UbLe4Pbtv2e2J6

So get within pedal distance to there and you can easily ride to a great training ride on Grand Ridge. Add in Duthie and Soaring Eagle to add miles. And hit some rad gaps on your way back to home. You'll find xc around here can involve more tech and features than other areas. It's awesome.

For pedal commute to downtown, Issaquah is doable, but long and not ideal. Better bike commute from Bellevue, as long as your home is close to I-90. Even better from Mercer Island, but it ain't cheap there. Once you hit the I-90 bridge, you're on protected bike path the rest of the way.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Issaquah to Seattle is long but IMHO it is doable. For example if you lived near the Sunset trailhead that Juice mentioned and needed to ride to Pioneer Square, you are talking about a 36 mile RT commute (and not a flat one but not too crazy). There are several good ways out of Issaquah on a bike and while you'll be riding on the road with traffic (until you get closer to I-90/I-405 when you'll get onto a paved path), I ride many of those same roads on a regular basis and if you pick your route you'll have bike lanes and decent shoulders to ride. Drivers around here are used to sharing the road with cyclists and I rarely have close calls or run-ins with cars.

For recreation, you have plenty of road, gravel and mountain biking out your door from Issaquah. Good luck.
    Last edited by woodway; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    To second what others have said, if I was moving here fresh and looking to live close to riding, I would aim for somewhere in the I-90 corridor. From Issaquah you have access to Tiger Mountain, Raging River, Olallie, Duthie, Grand Ridge, Soaring Eagle and Tokul all within about a 15 minute drive. That's some of the best riding in the state, and you get to avoid trying to go north or south on I-5 or I-405 to get to any of it. You're also in a pretty good spot for jumping over the pass to get to central WA riding destinations.

Something worth keeping in mind is that commutes here really can be soul-sucking. There's a reason the Seattle area is consistently ranked in the top 10 for worst traffic cities. You'd do well to optimize your living situation to avoid as much traffic as you can. Obviously commuting by bike helps with this, as does using mass transit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I moved to the Seattle area this past spring for a long term work assignment. Chose Issaquah for several reasons, one strong one being its close proximity to riding options. I work in lower Queen Anne (just north of downtown), so fight the traffic home everyday. I donít want to deal with it on the weekends as well. When youíre here doing a housing search do a few commute dry runs. Thatís the only way to really get a sense of the traffic situation here. Itís pretty bad. All depends how much you value your time, and what is important to you in a neighborhood/home community.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you look into what is considered the Eastside-Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland, Redmond etc. will provide both public transportation with or without bike to commute to downtown Seattle as well as park and ride locations. You will be in the center of the Seattle area Road riding community as well as easy(in King County terms) access to all the popular local area Mt. biking trails such as. Tiger Mt., Tolt, Duthie, Raging River, Ollalie etc.. But be prepared to pay up for Housing cost and taxes and traffic. Plenty of older well established to very new residential areas. Homes, Condos, Townhouses all can be found. I recommend start with finding a realtor if you are looking at buying. Spring is also the busiest time in the housing market. Start now. Agents may also have ideas of what might come available in the spring and this is also there slow time.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    All the buses have bike racks to commuting one way is an option.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    A couple of points:

Light rail will soon be completed from Bellevue/Redmond to Seattle which will help with options.

Issaquah is also a good place to get up into the mountains along I-90 for snow sports.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Light rail will soon be completed from Bellevue/Redmond to Seattle which will help with options.
    As long as you consider 2023 to be soon.