Wookie Chest

relocation advice

Are you sick of rain questions yet? Sorry. I have to know. I'm thinking about moving to Seattle from San Diego and I want to know what the riding conditions are like during early winter and early spring. Rained in? Snowed out? Our friends up there (that don't ride) say it's "not so bad," but I want to know the real deal. What's the best town outside of Seattle to live in with the best opportunities for commuting/riding. We were thinking Issaquah..your thoughts?
    Lean back, close your eyes, and hold on.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Not really, we could use some rain. CA is getting it all.

Scroll back through the pages here becasue this sort of question gets asked about every other week.
    Otherwise, fall is probably the best season up here. September into early November can be simply amazing. Spring, you need to pick your poison. But, that also depends on how wet it's been too. This has been one of the driest January-Februarys in decades the trail conditions show it. But, a lot could be mud pits in two weeks if the conditions change. Went for a great snow ride just a few weeks back though.

As for where to live, Issaquah is in the thick of available East King Co. riding but can be far from employment for some and the traffic can be messy.

Check the Evergreen wiki for trail locations and good ones to ride in bad weather.

www.trailheadrevolution.com

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    What Borneo said. As long as you don't mind getting yourself and your bike a little muddy, you can ride year-round here. Most of us do.

Places to live? Where are you going to work? Like San Diego, the commute up here can suck, depending on where you live/work.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Issy is close to riding and has good bus service store ect.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    I was born in San Diego and lived in and around until I graduated from UCSD. The weather is very different here. Its better in some ways actually. Its just different. No volleyball, no surfing, no other outdoor sports like hawaiian football, rugby etc outside of UW. But there is awesome mountain biking. Easily the best south of the border imo. You can survive here if you are not afraid of water/rain/clouds as there will be plenty. It also gets dark early in the winter, something other latitudes dont need to worry about as much. So you need a light to ride after work. But don't let the dark scare you either. Come visit, ride the colonade, and you will see what a groundswell of bikers can do. Yeah, lots of people ride year around, riding in the snow is a blast if you get decent conditions. Sticky mud sucks, but thats why you build elevated trails

Here I am a few weeks ago. Check to smile (and all the snow on the helmet--it was really coming down), I am loving it!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

Wookie Chest
    My wife and I just returned to San Diego from Denver. I liked it there and would have stayed but she was out on it (mostly because of the people). The rain/grey/winter weather doesn't bother me too much, I just don't want to be stranded inside 9 months out of the year. The mud in SD is the clay type so if it rains at all you're not riding some spots for at least a week.

As far as work goes...I am working in a bike shop now and my background is executive management in the cycling, skateboard, ecommerce industry. I'd ideally like to stay in or close to the industry. If anyone knows someone looking for a kick ass sales person, buyer, ecommerce person, do-it-all kind of guy...I'll be your Huckleberry!

I don't think I'll really mind the commute to Seattle or other areas and would probably ride my bike to work most days anyway.

The main reason we are looking at Issaquah is that its close to the freeway for commute, far enough out of the city, and seems to be close to the riding.

If anyone has any input on good bike shops/companies to apply to or any other places to live I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

I should be out riding
    I agree re Denver. I could relocate there for work and would in about half a second were it not for a GF that seems stuck on Seattle. Better weather, cheaper houses, much better traffic and more trail to ride. Seattle has it's pluses but I'd be very particular about picking where you live and work and consider both of those in relation to riding areas.

Just roll it......
    My biggest issue with living in Colorado (or Cali for that matter) is the distance to B.C.

Here's the deal. If you don't mind a little mud or rain, then you'll be fine. Investing in good rain gear is a must. If, say, you can't imagine leaving the house because it's raining and 40 degrees, you should stay in S.D. We rarely have snow on the ground for long and the temps usually hover in the high 20's to mid 40's in the winter. It's nowhere near as cold as the mid-west or Colorado (usually - they're having a mild winter).

RDHFree brings up a stellar point about night riding - especially in the winter months. Without our usual week night rides, I'd go insane between from Nov. to March. Frankly, I've no idea how folks keep from going stir crazy without night riding in the winter. Of course, the upside is that in June and July, you can ride light free 'til after 9 o'clock.

As for living location, Issaquah is closest to some of the best trails (more on the way) and is pretty easy to most Eastside locations, but would be a PITA if you work downtown. You gotta consider your commute. I highly recommend you hop on I-90 or 520 during rush hour before you make that decision.

Cheers,
    EB

Wookie Chest
    Word guys! Thanks for all the advice. I have a good set of lights and I am definitely not afraid of riding in rain or cold. We'd both like to get back to the quiet life of what we had in Denver and we want to stay out of the city. 8 years of living on the edge of the ghetto in the SD will do that to you.
    Sounds like I'll have to take traffic into account if I want to work in the city. Though, no traffic can be worse than the legendary SoCal traffic that I've learned to live life around.

widebody
    Mar 2004
    I live on the Sammamish Plateau which neighbors Issy(Issaquah), and work in Seattle near REI and the UW. I am right between the I90 and 520 freeways. My AVERAGE commute time is 30-35 minutes into Seattle leaving at 7:00am, and 40-45 minutes on the return trip at 5:00. The closer to I90 you are the better the traffic time. It can take me 15-20 minutes just getting off the plateau. The commute for me is nothing as I was used to a 50mile ONE way from Irvine to UCLA. So what ever you are used to for the commute. The traffic is worse here as there are less freeways and side streets to get around traffic tie ups. In So Cal there was always an optional route. The plus side is lot's of riding close by, and a b!tch!n mtn bike group called the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance www.evergreenmtb.org

Members who have read this thread: 0