One day to ride in Seattle area, tell me where.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

One day to ride in Seattle area, tell me where.

I am flying into Seattle on Saturday the 15th. My brother is picking me up at the airport and will have his fat bike and Ritchey P-650b with him (luckily we are twins and this will make it easy). I have that day to ride as my son graduates the next day and then a large family road trip starts. So, tell me XC type trails that are relatively quick to get to from the airport, up to an hour away, as I still have to meet up with the rest of the family that afternoon. Go...

mtbr member
    TrailForks - get it if you don't have it.

Phillip Arnold Park / Tapeworm is one of the closer options to the airport.

Where are you staying? Lots of trails along the I-90 corridor on the Eastside. Grand Ridge/Duthie/Soaring Eagle, Ollalie, even Lower Raging River (Poppin' Tops, Flow State). Tiger Mountain.

Ollalie has some great views - if you only do one, probably recommend this if you're looking for XC type trails.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    what distance and vertical are you looking for/ capable of?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    There is an XC race at Raging River on Saturday, so Tiger, Duthie would be my suggestions. Olallie is fine as well (big climb, fast easy descent). But Tiger is more interesting--moderate climb (1000 ft) followed by fun blue- black or double black descents that are mostly awesome. Duthie Hill Park is pretty flat skills park with some xc trails (about 5 miles total) and short free ride trails that are super fun (blue to double black). It is a well designed progessive skills trail area--great for working on jumps, drops and cornering. Look on Trailforks for more info. Tapeworm has its charm but is mostly just simple twisty short trails on local hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Californiagrown View Post
    what distance and vertical are you looking for/ capable of?
    Looking for 2.5-3 hours of ride time. Vertical, anything will do. I am capable of riding anything, but am a XC guy from New England, not an enduro bro from Whistler. We will be on a fully rigid fat bike and hardtail with 100 fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Looking for 2.5-3 hours of ride time. Vertical, anything will do. I am capable of riding anything, but am a XC guy from New England, not an enduro bro from Whistler. We will be on a fully rigid fat bike and hardtail with 100 fork.
    100% do Ollalie. Big long climb to a fast, flowy, smooth descent. Great views too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I would say if you don't mind some mild tech, Tiger then. Ride up Masterlink to the summit (1000 ft climb). Ride down the Summit trail to Preston Railroad Trail, the Silent Swamp, JoyRide, NW Timber back to car (or throw in The Legend then back to car). Should take about 2 - 3 hours. There are variations that involve more tech (blueish black OTG, NOTG, EBAD etc...) That climb at Olallie on a fat bike would hurt, but the trail is smooth and you could always turn around part way up. If you want to avoid big climbs and just want to tool around on flatter trails, try Duthie or BDOS (Black Diamond Open Space). Both are better than Tapeworm.

Trying to be helpful
    Another suggestion, Grand Ridge, nothing tech really but a fun XC out and back.

Lots of great stuff all around.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail