New Trail wiki: Spring lake/Lake Desire - Renton area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Trail wiki: Spring lake/Lake Desire - Renton area

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.p...ke_Desire_Park

It's not a new area, but it is a relatively unknown area that allows bikes and is a great spot to cruise around. There are no "stunts", jumps or any man made features (except for a skinny bridge over a beaver pond), but there is 1000 acres of rolling hills thru dense forest with about 8 miles of smooth singletrack. McGarvey park is part of the area and the county has a big trail expansion in the works for it too. LOTS of potential for the area, and it's very close to the city. Its is about 10 minutes east of the Tapeworm area via car.

Check it out if your in the area or post up more info if you ride there yourself!
    Videos and pix of the area will be posted up soon.
    here is some info on the plans for Mcgarvey park, along with maps of the entire area:
    http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/libr...rch%202011.pdf

Last word is all yours...
    Awesome, thanks for doing that! I dropped this into the Seattle Metro and South Sound categories (the latter one I just created). Do you think it should also go into Beginner Friendly? Also, how does it hold up in the wet/winter months?
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    The trail surface is very beginner friendly with few rooted sections and not many rocks, but there is a lot of climbs (300ft+ elevation gains on a couple) in the area between the two lakes. Nettles are an issue too, so I usually ride with long sleeves. The area north of Lake Desire is mostly rolling terrain that has some roots, but nothing too technical. Lots of smooth fast trails. McGarvey Park currently has only a few trails, with most of them running along the powerline right of way which is very beginner friendly. If the area is accessed from the Maple Valley Heights park, it is a good beginner area, but somewhat limited in mileage.

The water table is high in the area (it is between two lakes) so the low spots are really bad for mud. Horses are allowed on the trails (never actually seen one on the trails though) but they do tend to tear of the soft low areas and turn them into mud holes.

The area can also be accessed from the Tapeworm area, if you know where you going. It is about a 3.5 mile ride each way to do so.

I have some videos I will post up real soon.