New to area- Mtbr.com

Thread: New to area

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

New to area

Hey all,

I just got in to the Washington area. I'm in the military at Ft. Lewis. Any suggestions for trails for a novice trying to get into the sport?

Also are a lot of the trails in parks and therefore cost to get into?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Used to be trails on base. Ask around and see if anything on base is open to ya.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Swan Creek in Tacoma isn't far away and its a city park so no fees. It's a great place to learn skills. Look up Swan Creek MTB Coalition on facebook. A great way into the sport is to join a trail work party, you don't need any tools or knowledge. It builds some great local contacts plus you are more likely to ride trails that you work on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A Discover Pass is $30/year, and gets you into State Parks and DNR facilities: Discover Pass, WA - Official Website | Official Website. I didn't see an active-duty discount, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. The good news is you don't need to get a NW Forest Pass. You qualify for this instead: America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

And welcome to Washington! +1 on Swan Creek. You're also close to 410 and some really big terrain, after you get comfortable on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks all,
    I'll have to try some out. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Also any body know of a good bike shop in the tacoma area?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am partial to Old Town, with Tacoma and Olympia locations. Swan Creek is a great place to ride, they've added so many trails just in the past few months. I prefer to park at the football field just off 56th.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I just bought a FS bike at Tacoma Bike on 6th. Great selection and the owner worked with me (I am a fairly small person) to find a bike. He was also willing to do some price negotiation, which I appreciated.

Love Swan Creek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There were some trails between the Intel Corp buildings at Exit 119 (DuPont WA) and the Sound. We could ride them right from the Intel Parking lot. Not sure if they are there anymore. these probably connected into Fort Lewis trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Swan Creek last weekend and had fun. The trails aren't really well marked but it was a fun first ride. I only bite it once.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    We were at Swan Creek 2 days ago for the first time since they added a bunch of trails. You're right, at the intersections in a lot of places it's not clear where to go. Especially where Hustle & Flow meet Ground Control and Major Tom. (My son and father ended up on Major Tom when they were looking for the continuation of Hustle & Flow!!!) However, if you print up a map ahead of time it's actually pretty easy to navigate.

Swan Creek Park > Metro Parks Tacoma

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sproqitman View Post
    A Discover Pass is $30/year, and gets you into State Parks and DNR facilities: Discover Pass, WA - Official Website | Official Website. I didn't see an active-duty discount, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. The good news is you don't need to get a NW Forest Pass. You qualify for this instead: America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

And welcome to Washington! +1 on Swan Creek. You're also close to 410 and some really big terrain, after you get comfortable on the trails.
    Where is 410?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry, local shorthand. 410 is SR410. It's the highway that goes from Enumclaw to Mount Rainier. About 30 miles east of Enumclaw is Ranger Creek Campground, and a bunch of epic rides (Suntop, Ranger Creek, Palisades, Skookum). Details on the Evergreen MTB site: evergreenmtb.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Ah gotcha