• 07-04-2008
    JosephAverage
    Mini DH at Eddies Last Night!
    So my buddy and I went to ride some Eds/Finn last night and we saw a bunch of DH riders at the park entrance. We strolled over to see what the deal was and it was a DH race time trial put on by Fluidride. They let us enter and ride a couple of laps. It was about a 2min course with some great flowy sections and roots. Not much pedaling at all.

They will be doing 6 more I think throughout the rest of the summer.

Check on Fluidride.com every other week or so to catch the next one. It was really fun, free and challenging.
  • 07-06-2008
    joeyjoedotorg
    Do you know the route they took? I've been to St ed's only a handful of times and can never seem to find a good stretch of non-pedally trail.
  • 07-07-2008
    sgsrider
    probably towards big finn hilll and the ravine, where the old pump track was...and the small jumps.
  • 07-07-2008
    Borneo
    I'm surprised that the county or the state (depending on actual property ownership) is letting them do that since the park is always so busy with walkers, etc... Was the course flagged off, etc?
  • 07-07-2008
    JosephAverage
    Yeah the course was flagged flagged at one turn. Otherwise the trail was straight through. IT was a busy night too there was some concert so if any night to get busted I thought that would be the night.

The course was at the main entrance off of Juanita Drive the first trail on the west side of the street. It was a great flowey trail with some root drops, techy roots sections a some great up and downs where you could really pump instead of pedal. It shot you out at the school across the street from the mini mart on Juanita.

I talked to Nate from Fluidride and he said they're doing another one there this Thursday most likely. I won't be able to make it but check out fluidride.com or ridemonkey.com and you can find the info there.

Ride on!
  • 07-07-2008
    Borneo
    Yeah, I know the trail. I helped build it. Still seems risky without flagging it off so some poor soul doesn't get tagged accidentally coming up it. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
  • 07-07-2008
    JosephAverage
    there were people at both ends so there was no chance of someone else strolling along the trail with no knowledge of a race happening. Also, the guys may have cleared it with the park. all I know is it was fun and i reccommend anyone who is interested to check it out.
  • 07-08-2008
    Dwight Moody
    I know the trail and I wouldn't think of it as "downhill." You lose more altitude than you gain, but it seems like a pedalers course for sure.

Also it's usually coated with dog-walkers and birdwatchers, it would be fun to take it at full speed knowing I wasn't going to splat some kid/old lady/dog.
  • 07-08-2008
    Tarekith
    I work at St. Ed's and it definitely wasn't cleared with the park. Not a biggy though as long as there's not a ton of people out there anyway. That's the Juanita Trail, definitely the most DH like place there, you can really get some nice runs through there, and since there's only one entrance on each end, easy to block off or warn people about the race.

We have summer concerts each Thursday, and I too saw all the DH bikes and wondered what was going on. We get all kinds of riders there, so DH bikes aren't that rare, was surprising seeing that many of them though.

If anyone from Fluidride is reading this, please contact me with your upcoming schedule. With the concerts happening each thursday the rest of the summer, we get a lot of people walking into the park on those trails, and it helps us to at least know something else is going on out there.

Thanks!
  • 07-08-2008
    Borneo
    Looks like from the RM site that they are having another one coming up. Not sure what, "on the other side of the street" means. If it's in Finn Hill property, that's a whole nuther King Co Parks bailywick. Tarekith, my guess is that Mo would flip if he knew they were doing this without asking in State Parks property.

It's a cool idea, but not something you can just arbitrarily block off a park trail and do IMHO.
  • 07-08-2008
    jameshetfield
    JosephAverage,

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like fun, I am going to make it up for atleast one of those this summer. From what I've heard their courses are "trail bike dh courses", perfect. Come down for a ride sometime soon. The trails are in their prime right now.

-Jim
  • 07-08-2008
    JosephAverage
    Jim,

I am planning on coming down in a few weeks. I am heading down for Mountain Bike Oregon this next weekend so sometime after that for sure. Also, I will be attending the labor day weekend down in the Cap for sure!

As far as the races go, I won't be posting anything else on this site since there seems to be some potential problems with doing so... But you guys can hunt them down if you want to participate.

Ride on!
  • 07-08-2008
    JLantz
    LOL!!!

Borneo = Potential Problems

That's what she said. :lol:
  • 07-09-2008
    jameshetfield
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephAverage
    Jim,

won't be posting anything else on this site since there seems to be some potential problems with doing so...
    Ride on!

Renegade. To bad. Ssshhhh.

Lets ride.

-Jim
  • 07-09-2008
    Tarekith
    I dont think it'd be a huge deal, we'd just like to know about it in case someone gets hurt.