Looking for good summer epic suggestions- Mtbr.com
    Last word is all yours...

Looking for good summer epic suggestions

I'm looking for something memorable to ride this summer. My goals are: between 15 and 30 miles, do-it-in-a-day, great scenery and fun trail conditions, away from development. After looking over Backcountry Epics, I'm kind of interested in Ape Canyon or maybe middle fork Snoqualmie (maybe both over the summer).

I haven't done either of these before. Any suggestions?
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    May 2004

This list is just stoopid long....

So long you'd never be able to complete them all if you did one every weekend from now until late September.

Both rides are super quality and about as opposite of the experience spectrum as you can get. Do both!

Moran State Park on Orcas before is closes to bikes for the summer.

Skookum's Kettle Crest trip

Mount Muller- Gold Creek/Dungeness River weekend

All the great 410 stuff near Greenwater.

Entiat Rides

Wenatchee/Mad Lake area rides

Teanaway rides

Taneum rides

Capitol Forest rides

Spokompton area rides

Gifford Pinchot rides to the south

Pick some that pique your interest and then do a word search for them here and I'll bet you'll find some nice ride reports perhaps even with pictures.

meh....

Memorable rides?

I've got some rides that'll leave you with some memories.

mtbr member
    May 2004

That's scary....

I thought you gave up the banjo Monte?

r1de, start with Mid Fork since it's so close. Though still not sure on road/trail conditions yet or this season. Ape Canyon is a looooong day or an overnighter.

Capitol Forest should be good right now and has plenty of great trail. Really under rated too. Way better than Tiger IMHO and doesn't get nearly the hype.

Or, really do yourself a favor anf get on the ferry and do Moran (Orcas) in the next couple weeks. Maybe ACFL or Fort Ebey on the way home....

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Or, really do yourself a favor anf get on the ferry and do Moran (Orcas) in the next couple weeks....
    Might have to sneak this in myself here pretty quick.

mtbr member
    Currently the forest road to access Middle Fork is washed out completely in places, though they have started working on it. I was talking to the Forest Service a couple weeks ago about this, and they hope to have at least some kind of access by July, since this road access so many backcountry areas close to Seattle.

Having said that, and having ridden Middlefork a few times now, I'm not sure it's what i'd consider epic. It's a nice ride, don't get me wrong, but a lot of it is on formerly hiking only trails complete with steps in places and it's often rather crowded (within reason of course). It's a beautiful ride, and you can make it pretty long if you want, but I tend to equate epic with a bit more solitude, not sure if you feel the same.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

Last word is all yours...

excellent feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Currently the forest road to access Middle Fork is washed out completely in places, though they have started working on it. I was talking to the Forest Service a couple weeks ago about this, and they hope to have at least some kind of access by July, since this road access so many backcountry areas close to Seattle.
    I was a little bit worried about that because of all the flooding back in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Having said that, and having ridden Middlefork a few times now, I'm not sure it's what i'd consider epic. It's a nice ride, don't get me wrong, but a lot of it is on formerly hiking only trails complete with steps in places and it's often rather crowded (within reason of course). It's a beautiful ride, and you can make it pretty long if you want, but I tend to equate epic with a bit more solitude, not sure if you feel the same.
    Yeah, I kind of want to get out a ways. Ape Canyon and Capitol - which Borneo suggested - are looking really attractive. I'm not super keen on hitting either for the first time solo, so probably going to scare up a riding buddy.

Some things you guys can help me with:

• I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the options at Capitol - looking at the ride guide presents a ton of options; if anybody has a suggestion for a ~20 to ~30 mile technical singletrack ride for a Capitol first-timer, lay it on me.
    • When is a good time to hit Ape Canyon? Would love to go when spring is in full bloom.
    Last edited by r1de; 04-30-2009 at 11:45 PM.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    4 rides
    3 of them epics
    1 work party
    Riders from across the region, come on out.

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.p...ocacy_Festival
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep, the Kettle is quality stuff. Hank the horse highly recommends it.

Cap Forest: It is huge with lots of opportunity. You can find some knowledgeable guides in the south end to show you around. E-mail me and I can put you in contact with a few that would be glad for an excuse to get out. Mount Molly-Porter #3 used to beone of my favorites. Green Line 6 is vastly popular with the coasting crowd for good reason.

Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham will likely have snow into July. Someone will go there first and proably report here. Tack on Lewis River trail for a Sunday morning ride(camp at the Lewis River CG and ride right from there) and you'll get a great ying-yang weekend with barren plains one day and lush riverside forest the other.

Mid Fork is pretty desolate above the Dingford bridge and becomes much more "epic" the "out there" sense the farther you go. Riding the lollipop loop up from the TH to dingford and across there and then up the road and all the way back on trail is a 24 mile? and 6-7 hour day. Not "epic" to some perhaps and over the top epic to others. We hardly ever see people up past Dingford and IMHO that's the best part of the trail.

mtbr member
    All good suggestions but Capitol Forest and the Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham don't even compare. Yea, there both awesome rides and I'm sure I'll get flack for this, but if you're lookin for "great scenery and fun trail conditions, away from development"stay away from Cap Forest. It does have the fun trail conditions that you are looking for but the scenery is mainly in and out of clearcuts and there hasn't been a time I've ridden there that it didn't sound like a battle field with all the gun fire. With that said I love riding there because the trail system and trail conditions can be some of the best in the PNW. The FOCF do an awesome job with the trails.

I'm sure if or when you go you'll love it but just trying to be truthfull.

Head down to the Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham if you're lookin for Epic.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2004

No flack here.

Yep, it is what it is. (Cap Forest)

But, one sure can get lost way out back and up top and put in a big, long day without repeating anything.

But, yeah, low on the scenery, wilderness experience. But, really close though and already snow free.

mtbr member
    Yep, it is what it is. (Cap Forest)

But, one sure can get lost way out back and up top and put in a big, long day without repeating anything.

But, yeah, low on the scenery, wilderness experience. But, really close though and already snow free.
    Agree with yea. You can put in some serious mileage in CF and feel like you're way, way out there.

illiterate or intoxicated

Snow?

Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham will likely have snow into July.
    Can you give me a little more info on when the snow typically clears? I have no clue what the snow pack was like this winter. I am trying to set up a trip for the end of June to ride Ape/Plains/Smith Creek.

Many thanks.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

mtbr member
    End of June could still have snow.

Here's a link to the Snotel site. June Lake or Swift Creek are the closest to the Ape Canyon trail head.

As for the snow pack this year...I think it's running about normal or a little above normal this year. I do know the water content is way above normal on Mt Hood, not sure how that translates into how fast it melts off though.

illiterate or intoxicated
    Thanks OHM.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Members who have read this thread: 0