Looking for a good base camp for Mt. St. Helens riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Looking for a good base camp for Mt. St. Helens riding

We will be spending 3 days in the Mt. St. Helen's area on an upcoming road trip. We'll ride Ape Canyon, Falls Creek, and Lewis river trail. What I'm looking for is a good centrally located area to camp. We would like to find free camping if possible, also something by a creek or river would be great.

I've never been in the area before, so I'm not sure if primitive camping is abundant, or hard to find. So I figured I would ask on here for some recommendations before we drive all over the place looking for a spot.

Also, if any would like to join us for a FREE falls creek or lewis river shuttle, let me know. We will be riding those trails on Monday and Tuesday the 12th and 13th of September. Also beer would be provided

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nate
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Last time we rode St. Helens we camped down on the Smith Creek. Theres a forest rd. that goes down (don't remember the #) to the Smith Creek Trail Head. We rode the Plains of Abe and then returned on the Smith Creek trail right to camp. Requires a climb (or a shuttle) up the road to start.Very nice for the route we rode but not very "centrally located" though for the other stuff your wanting to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

A few ideas

I like Iron Creek Campground, but not recommending that, as it is a bit far from the rides you described.

Marble Mt Sno Park is an option.
    Bing Maps
    Forest Service link

Pine Creek Info Station may help. See link above, call them for their suggestions. I don't see their phone number on the web site, but the NVM phone is listed on that page at (360) 449-7800. When you talk to them, ask them specifically about camping near the Burger Buggy General Store (just a couple miles from the info station), or Swift Creek Campground (just 1 mile or less from the info station).

Finally, you might consider primitive camping at bottom of Lower Smith Creek.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fairly centrally located would be to camp around or at the trailhead for the Lewis River trail. I've seen people camped there before. Falls Creek is south of you and Ape Canyon is northwest (though the drive takes you quite a bit west then north and back east to the AC trailhead).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks a Bunch!

I appreciate all the info. Camping at Smith creek would be nice for the one ride, but I'm looking for something a little more centrally located. Thanks again for the replies.

I did just call the headquarters and the Lady recommended I look for something off Forest Rd 90. That seems to be the general area I want. I guess we can just head down it till we find something.

Thanks again.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org