• 06-21-2017
    Smilely
    Kachess Ridge, anyone ride it recently?
    Has anyone ridden it recently?
    I checked Trailforks and someone said that on June 1st it still had a lot of snow on it. Wondering if anyone has been up there more recently. I'm hoping to ride it on Friday.
    Perhaps we should strap some snowshoes to our packs just in case?
  • 06-21-2017
    Preston67
    IMO you will encounter snow early and often. I recommend at least doing it as an OAB so you don't get trapped into pushing 2-3 miles of snow. I haven't made a habit of riding it early season but all of my NW experience says it will still be a mess this year. But let us know how it goes, I could be wrong.
  • 06-22-2017
    slop
    Supporting Preston's comments. It is probably still too early and not only will taking the road up mean snow, but you may run into more blow downs than you want to mess with. Also, after climbing up the trail for the first time last summer instead of taking the road, I found this to be the better way to do the ride. Sure the lower switchbacks are tough but once you get to the bridges the trail is a fun climb. Good luck if you go.
  • 06-22-2017
    Smilely
    Thanks for the input.
    Guess I've gotten lucky the past two years going up about the same time, late June. Of course each year has a different snow pack.
  • 06-22-2017
    nickn
    Check the WTA trip reports page. Last I read indicated feet of snow in the Silver Creek basin.
  • 06-22-2017
    bighitboy
    It will be well into July this year for Kachess Ridge. Upper Silver creek basin takes some time to dry out. We will need to hike down with saws as well I am sure.
  • 06-22-2017
    Preston67
    "after climbing up the trail for the first time last summer instead of taking the road, I found this to be the better way to do the ride...the trail is a fun climb."

There was some typos in your comment Slop I edited it for you.
  • 06-25-2017
    Smilely
    We rode Kachess Ridge on Friday, June 23rd.
    We shuttled to the top. The hike a bike section the top was all snow. We were basically using the bikes as pick axes as we climbed up. Once we got to the top, I'd say the upper 1/4 was mostly snow.
    Other than that the trail was in pretty good shape. 4 trees down across on the way down. Stream crossings were a bit trickier with so much water. At some point we just gave up and walked through them.
    An already fantastic trail turned into an adventure
  • 06-26-2017
    woodway
    You lost me at "we shuttled to the top" :)
  • 06-26-2017
    bighitboy
    1 Attachment(s)
    I took the 1190R to the summit. Confirmed what is stated above, lots of snow still!

Give it a couple more weeks!

Attachment 1143748
  • 07-12-2017
    bighitboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    I took the 1190R to the summit. Confirmed what is stated above, lots of snow still!

Give it a couple more weeks!

Attachment 1143748

This trail is now running too to bottom. Winter served it well, minimal blow downs.