January Riding- Mtbr.com

Thread: January Riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

January Riding

I'm planning to come up to Seattle for a few days and do some van camping and riding on Jan 1-3. I've only ridden in the Seattle area once and really enjoyed Tiger Mtn. Does snow generally affect many of the local places to ride during the early weeks of January?
    Any recommendations on if I should head a different direction for areas with less precipitation??
    I'm coming from Houston, so snow is never really something we have to deal with. I appreciate any recommendations or feedback. I'll be bringing my bike and gear with me. I'll be on my own with all the time I want so I'm down to drive a few hours to ride something truly spectacular, or some other iconic PNW trail.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Are you coming northbound on the 5 fwy or are you traveling from Utah?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl3 View Post
    I'm planning to come up to Seattle for a few days and do some van camping and riding on Jan 1-3. I've only ridden in the Seattle area once and really enjoyed Tiger Mtn. Does snow generally affect many of the local places to ride during the early weeks of January?
    Any recommendations on if I should head a different direction for areas with less precipitation??
    I'm coming from Houston, so snow is never really something we have to deal with. I appreciate any recommendations or feedback. I'll be bringing my bike and gear with me. I'll be on my own with all the time I want so I'm down to drive a few hours to ride something truly spectacular, or some other iconic PNW trail.
    Not too likely that snow will be an issue, but you might wish it were snowing and not 39 degrees and raining.

If it is on the wetter side, you might check out Tokul instead of Tiger or 27. It definitely drains better.

As far as driving somewhere else, your options probably aren't a lot better within a couple hours radius. Really good chance that most of the stuff east of the Cascades (where it's usually drier) will be under snow.

mtbr member
    If you come up 84 through Oregon and then take 82 to 90, and if we are having a light snow winter, we usually are riding around in the foothills of Yakima. Echo, outside of Hermiston Oregon, has some primitive car camping and xc trails. It is near the junction of 84/82 and is a good place to sleep and stretch the legs on some ribbons of singletrack.

Granted, thats as long as we are having a light snow season.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Whether snow is an issue really depends on the year. Some years (like last year) Tiger and similar trails are unrideable for weeks at a time due to snow, others years it may only be a day or two. In most typical years, you should be able to find somewhere rideable during that timeframe, whether it is Tiger or lower elevation/better draining stuff like Tokul.

Here's the question though - while plenty of locals do ride year round, and the winter riding can be pretty good, do you have an additional reason to make the Seattle area your destination during that time frame? If you're going to be here anyway because you have family in the area or a work interview or whatever, for sure bring the bike and plan to get some riding in. But if I was driving from Houston in January with the intent to ride bikes in cool places, I don't think I'd aim for Seattle. You could have a nice time riding in Moab, St. George, Phoenix, Tuscon, Las Vegas, southern California, etc. That's my two cents at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I really love riding at Moran State Park on Orcas Island in the winter... Spectacular views and really low traffic on the trails compared to spring and fall.

The usual lower elevation stuff around Seattle and Bellingham is awesome in the winter too assuming it doesn't snow while you're here.

Have a great trip..
    Ian Terry
    Community Engagement Coordinator
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    Are you coming northbound on the 5 fwy or are you traveling from Utah?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'm actually flying in from Houston. So, for what I've gathered it sounds like the stuff closer to Seattle at lower elevation is fine if it's not a high snowfall season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenIan View Post
    I really love riding at Moran State Park on Orcas Island in the winter... Spectacular views and really low traffic on the trails compared to spring and fall.

The usual lower elevation stuff around Seattle and Bellingham is awesome in the winter too assuming it doesn't snow while you're here.

Have a great trip..
    Perfect, I'll put those on my list. Thanks!