Harmony Trails Private Parking Privilege Rescinded!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Harmony Trails Private Parking Privilege Rescinded!

Notice to all,
    the homeowners at the end of Harmony road (Longview, WA) have rescinded the parking privileges that we had previously enjoyed. There has been too much noisy activity (by bikers and hikers) there of late and it is perfectly and reasonable their right to do so. Think about it, you drive up the road, maybe the radio is turned up a bit, get out and close the car door. Maybe say "HEY" to your buddy that you are up there to ride or hike or run with. Now look around. You are basically in someones front yard. Its summer and windows are open. Maybe its 6am on the weekend. YOU just thump-thumped up the road and slammed your car door and yelled in someone's yard. Oh, and your dog just chased the cat onto the porch, the dog leaving some lawn fudge behind in his excitement to 'get the kitty'.

Now maybe the homeowner comes out and asks you nicely to keep quiet. You give him a ration of your poor pathetic mind that it is your RIGHT to be there. You maybe even try to bully the homeowner with a statement like
    "I'm gonna call the cops 'cuz you are blocking my access to state land!".
    You have just cinched the rope around your own neck showing your ignorance. There is NO state land accessible from Harmony. There is NO state park, city park, national park or monument there that you should think you have a right to access to. It is all privately owned land. As far as you can see and then some.
    But you call the cops anyways.
    Really?
    This and so much more has happened there recently as reported by the homeownders. I am personally ashamed that friends of my friends may be doing this. I and many others have enjoyed showing the trails that we have spent 15 years slowly building and maintaining and I know I have emphasized at the events I am responsible for that the expanded parking we enjoy is a privilege and that we should do everything we can to keep in the good graces of our neighbors. A few have not shown the common courtesy due and have ruined a good thing for all. Thanks so much. And just so you don't think I'm being too sanctimonious, I am rethinking what I have done there and will do in the future. This includes but is not limited to there will not be another Harmonic ConvergenSS. We are done.
    The trails are not closed but almost all parking is now off-limits. There is room for maybe 5 cars at the end of the road, parked out of the way on the creek side. That may disappear too. There is parking at Coal Creek and Ocean Beach and a 3 mile paved road (400 foot gain) climb to the gate. You are welcome to park there and ride. Remember that the road is narrow, twisting and has no shoulder.
    To review, the small gravel lot almost to the gate is now a no parking zone. RESPECT that. RESPECT the peace of the area and help us to salvage this situation by keeping quiet and not being an idiot.
    Please pass this information along to others that you know ride up here.
    Bob Stanton
    red-haze
    360-442-8638
    This diatribe will be posted in all the internet places I know of that are affected by this. Seattle and Portland people were specifically cited by the homeowners as being a big part of the problem.
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

JRA
    mtbr member
    As a Seattle area rider who's vastly enjoyed his time riding w/ my Longview friends on the Harmony Trails, this is a huge loss. Bob, if you talk to the homeowner anytime soon, please pass along my apologies.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That is very disturbing, Bob. If you know the names of those involved, I think you should post them as a way of giving back the same kind of respect they showed at Harmony. Maybe also send them a scarlet A to sew onto their biking shirts. Let's see - what could it stand for?

Sweet
    So sorry to hear this. I myself get tired of the self~rightous, deserving, its my right, peckerheads that are out there in groves.
    Same folks that assume trails build and maintain themselves just for their personal use.
    I have seen the great things you and others have done out there and now have lost my appetite.
    Courtland
    More fun than an open casket funeral

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This very upsetting news being that these are my home trails that I ride 2 to 3 times a week. So did this come to a head when the GT demo van got kicked out last weekend or was that just a result of the homeowner already being upset? I'm also usually only ride on week days so I had no idea there was a possibly escalating situation there. If I don't have the trails to myself there is maybe only 2 other cars there. Either way very dissapointing being nice gets you so much farther in life.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ooch, Bummer!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Probably not ideal.