Gold Creek and Lower Dungeness, 6-28-2017- Mtbr.com
    m0un#a!n 8ik3r

Gold Creek and Lower Dungeness, 6-28-2017

A couple days ago, I rode much of the Dungeness/Gold loop. The spur road going down to the trailhead has a “Road Closed” sign, but there wasn’t any gate or any concrete blocks or whatnot, so I decided to just drive it. About 100 yards before you get to the original (slide-impacted) trailhead, there’s a very small turnaround area, big enough for maybe 4-5 cars to park.

I rode (er, rode half, hiked half) up Gold Creek, stopping to clear the 15 or 20 smaller logs with my hand saw. There are still three logs on Gold Creek that were too big to move.

Part of the reason I went up Gold Creek was just to mix it up and try something different. But also because of the washout I’d read about on Dungeness, just a mile from the upper trailhead; so just in case it was really bad, I wanted to have the option to turn around and get back to some trailhead. And I’m glad I did that, cause sure enough the washout was yyuuuge. Pretty sure it had gotten worse since other fairly recent (well, 2016) TRs had been written. It was looking like a 100+ vertical foot PITA scramble up a steep slope, then over, then back down. Decided it wasn’t worth the effort, and so turned around, rode back to the upper trailhead, then took the road to the 3 O’Clock Ridge trail, then rode down that and then the lower part of Lower Dungeness. 3OR and lower LDR had about 15 logs, many of which I could have cleared, but was running out of time, so left them for someone else to get.

Other minor trail/maintenance issues: parts of GC have thick salal and other brush. And parts of both trails, especially near their lower sections, have some pretty rutted/eroded areas.

Supposedly the FS is planning on re-routing the trail this summer... really hope so; would suck to lose this awesome loop. Not really practical/fun to ride it in it's current condition.

Pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/-ethan...7682820269364/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This giant washout that you speak of - is that near the beginning of the LD trail ? My understanding is its easy enough to avoid by starting a 1/2 mile up ffrom the LD trailhead at the hairpin in the road.

m0un#a!n 8ik3r
    Going north/downstream on LD (so, the opposite direction usually gone) it's about 1.2 mile from the southern trailhead.

Is that the one you're referring to? Cause I rode the lower section (3 OClock Ridge trail then north on LD) and don't remember any washout near the regular trailhead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah sounds like its at the "end" of the LD trail when you are doing the loop CCW.

As long as you can hike up and around it doesn't have to be a show stopper though, if you're doing that loop who doesn't want some adventure anyway.

I should be out riding
    Preston, I think you're thinking of the old washout that is shortly after the lower TH. That one isn't even immediately obvious as a washout anymore because the trail has gotten so established around it. Ethan's pics look like a different one, much higher up.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member

m0un#a!n 8ik3r
    Re. that Strava user's comment that the washout was "Still there but a little easier to get around"... either I was missing something, or he's just a little more hardcore/dedicated than me, lol.

The bypass route I saw and described above looked like a HUGE amount of effort ... could have done it if my life depended on it, but, newp, didn't look very fun.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Loved that trail/ride last year. So awesome to be in the redwoods with the smell of the trees, especially fresh-cut stuff for benches/bridges.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Loved that trail/ride last year. So awesome to be in the redwoods with the smell of the trees, especially fresh-cut stuff for benches/bridges.
    don't mean to nit pick here, but you could have been smelling cedar or Douglas fir, maybe Hemlock, but definitely not Redwood. doesn't exist here.
    breezy shade

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cedar then, for some reason I thought it was redwood, (was really red). Douglas fir does not smell like that.
    Gold Creek and Lower Dungeness, 6-28-2017-g0263678s.jpgGold Creek and Lower Dungeness, 6-28-2017-g0273686s.jpgGold Creek and Lower Dungeness, 6-28-2017-g0273690s.jpgGold Creek and Lower Dungeness, 6-28-2017-g0333714s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cedar then, for some reason I thought it was redwood, (was really red). Douglas fir does not smell like that. Those trees are not what we called cedar in California, that had very distinctive soft red bark. These trees in WA in the Olympic forest had a very distinctive and overpowering smell, just so amazing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0263678s.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	1145640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0273686s.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	1145641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0273690s.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	1145642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0333714s.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	1145643

mtbr member
    My friend rode that about a month ago and said he was able to cross the washout down by the river. He didn't mention it being a ridiculous side venture. Maybe I'll have to pick his brain a bit more, because I was hoping to do this soon (for my first time).