Esmeralda RR- Mtbr.com

Thread: Esmeralda RR

mtbr member
    May 2004

Esmeralda RR

Great weather. Cool, breezy, and no bugs... Pretty dry trail in places but still better than expected. Woodway, we moved that downed log on the DeRoux DH. But, there is a new one down on the upper part of the descent into Fortune Creek. Had a 4 dabber going there until I crashed on the steep slippy slide section about 150 feet from the end. Saw the FS ranger, Mikki Douglas on the way up Bruiser's "jeep road from hell" which wasn't so bad this time. Lake as too cold to swim in this time. Descent back down DeRoux was pretty awesome. Here's a shot from the day and I got video of both descents. I'll try to get into youtube and post later. The only whine of the day was Happy Trails coming back to a $75 ticket for not having his FS pass out....

Great 12 mile mini epic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Esmeralda RR-ezzy-hawkens.jpg  

Last word is all yours...
    Looks great, wish I could have joined you!
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Nice, looking forward to doing this one in a couple weeks.

FM
    mtbr member
    I was up there 3(?) weekends ago, during the taylor bridge fire. Cool ride. Still looking for the ultimate loop in that area....lots to explore!

IMG_4213 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

IMG_4216 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

IMG_4220 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

IMG_4222 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

IMG_4223 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

IMG_4224 by emailsucks98, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2004
    FM, you hiked way up the ridge line a lot farther than I have before. Great views up there! I have a shot somewhere looking back at the basin trail but not of Gallagher Head Lake itself. Yeah, the options are pretty staggering. Plenty of point to point options too. Turning right on DeRoux and climbing over the Tie will give you a long river descent on Middle Fork. Skookum loves the Boulder and Paris Creek options. West Fork is tough to beat for a wild canyon ride. Iron Creek and Iron Bear are also real good ones up and over Teanaway Ridge. Options are good.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. Inspiring me to get back out there. Wheres the videos?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The whole head of the Teanaway valley is chock full of views. This one is from a hike up Longs Pass and the view that awaits from up there: http://sdrv.ms/SgzNfE

Longs Pass is on the east side of the valley across from Esmerelda on a spur trail off of the Ingalls Lake trail. I don't know if it is a biking trail, but it is a relatively short 5 mile round trip hike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    The whole head of the Teanaway valley is chock full of views. This one is from a hike up Longs Pass and the view that awaits from up there: http://sdrv.ms/SgzNfE

Longs Pass is on the east side of the valley across from Esmerelda on a spur trail off of the Ingalls Lake trail. I don't know if it is a biking trail, but it is a relatively short 5 mile round trip hike.
    My understanding (this is from a few years ago) was that Ingalls Pass is open to bikes up to the top (5 miles in or so) where it enters Wilderness but not sure about Longs. I've hiked Ingalls several times and always thought it would be a fun (if quick) out and back. That being said I wouldn't want to be there on a weekend. This may have changed though.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Forest Service web page says Ingalls Way trail (#1390) and Longs Pass (#1299) both are open only for hiking. It is probably the easiest and shortest way, short of an airplane, to get an in-your-face view of Mt. Stuart and the rest of the southern side of the Stuarts.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You could go up Beverly Turnpike to Earl or go up ElDorado from the DeRoux CG as well. Both are tough climbs but ElDorado is a blast going down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Stafford Creek trail, #1359, up to Navaho is also open to bikes. I have hiked it but not biked it. I recall it is easy hiking, but no recollection on what the biking would be like.

mtbr member
    Stafford is a bit of a slog going up with some hike a bike, but it's not too bad and it's not that long. It's pretty fun and techy coming down but some might find it a bit much. It's an easy walk up Navaho peak at the top which provides really nice views. I encountered a lot of hikers and a few equestrians when I did it though.

Navaho view:

From Navaho Peak by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ironman and I did the Esmerelda lollipop last weekend. Came up Boulder to the lake, then down DeRoux, up the normal route back to the lake, then back down Boulder. I dont' think most people would like that very much but we found it entertaining. Next time we will probably park at Paris Creek and ride some road so we can come down Paris, or go up Paris halfway and then crossover to Boulder.

It was a bit chilly, but still went for a swim. BBQ is right, the lake was surprisingly cold for being so shallow.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So,I assume that was your tracks I saw ahead of us going down DeRoux then... Did the lollipop w/Skooks and a couple others a few years back. Boulder was "okay" but not on the list to do again.

mtbr member
    Rode Esmeralda today in a nice, balmy weather. This was the first time back in maybe 3 years or so, and it felt as though the entire loop was somewhat easier than what it used to be. Maybe because there was a train of about 8 horses going the same route ahead of us, but all the smaller loose rocks that used to make climbing Basin trail challenging were kicked off to the side and there was a solid surface to ride on most of the way. Similar on Jeep Road to Hell too, echoing Borneo's impression from his ride.

Upper parking lot was overflowing with cars, but only saw maybe 4 groups of hikers on the way up. When I said hello, two groups smiled and helloed back, the one glared at us and said nothing back and other one completely ignored us. Seemed like the beautiful backcountry scenery and amazingly glorious Indian Summer day were wasted on people who choose to be so grouchy...

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    ... When I said hello, two groups smiled and helloed back, the one glared at us and said nothing back and other one completely ignored us. Seemed like the beautiful backcountry scenery and amazingly glorious Indian Summer day were wasted on people who choose to be so grouchy...
    Hahaha... the HOHAs do frequent that area, and there have been confrontations. In spite of the bike sign at the trail head. Go figure.

Yesterday we took our (almost) 7yo daughter to Rainier and hiked out to Burroughs 2 from Sunrise. The average age of the crowd was pretty high, and it was a constant tossup as to if we got smiles and encouragement or vague irritation as we herded her along the trail. She was the youngest one out on the point when we were there.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Members who have read this thread: 0