Duthie Trail Closures + Please-Build-Don't-Ride- Mtbr.com
    I5Troll

Duthie Trail Closures + Please-Build-Don't-Ride

In case you haven't read Slug's post, our record dry spell is going to be followed by some potentially record rain... some say 4-7" in the cascades and more than an inch around the sound -- and that's just on Sunday. Sounds like a perfect weekend to get out and do some trail maintenance and give riding a break for a few days. Some moisture for the trails will be great, but riding during heavy rain after the record-breaking dry spell, especially on high-traffic trails like Duthie, Tiger and Gd Ridge, will wreak havoc!

Duthie... We're going to have to close a few trails... maybe as early as Fri and most likely by Sunday. We'll focus on the ones that were hit the worst by the dry spell and the ones that could really get trashed by traffic during the rain... Bootcamp DH, StepItUp DH, Deuces Wild, Pumptracks, etc. Stay tuned.

Please spread the word and join a work party this weekend. We have Hansen Ridge on Saturday (Evergreen MTB Calendar) and Tiger on Sunday (Evergreen MTB Calendar) already posted. We hope to get WPs on the calendar at Duthie for Fri, Sat and Sun as well. Stay tuned.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Hourly Weather Forecast for 47.62N 122.2W (Elev. 187 ft)

Gives a forecast of at least an inch of rain in 24 hours starting early in the morning on Sunday.

Luckily the forecast is for light rain through Saturday afternoon so it should be good work party weather.

IF THE FORECAST MODELS ARE CORRECT...THIS WILL BE THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT STORM OF THE SEASON. SOME FORECAST MODELS SHOW SEVERAL INCHES OF RAIN IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH SHARP RISES EXPECTED ON THE RIVERS. THE OLYMPICS MAY SEE 4 TO 8 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT...WITH 2 TO 5 INCHES POSSIBLE IN THE CASCADES. AS FOR THE LOWLANDS...THE COAST MAY SEE 1 TO 4 INCHES...WITH 1 TO 2 INCHES OF RAIN IN THE INTERIOR.

</pre>

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post

Please spread the word and join a work party this weekend. We have Hansen Ridge on Saturday (Evergreen MTB Calendar) and Tiger on Sunday (Evergreen MTB Calendar) already posted. We hope to get WPs on the calendar at Duthie for Fri, Sat and Sun as well. Stay tuned.
    Are these the type of work parties where you get a bike shuttle out of the deal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Are these the type of work parties where you get a bike shuttle out of the deal?
    I would doubt it on a hunch. Simply put the idea is "don't ride the trails they are going to be loose mud and you'll destroy them". So I would think that a shuttle as part of the deal might be counterproductive.

Last word is all yours...
    ^^^^ This.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by druidjaidan View Post
    I would doubt it on a hunch. Simply put the idea is "don't ride the trails they are going to be loose mud and you'll destroy them". So I would think that a shuttle as part of the deal might be counterproductive.
    Yeah, I figured.

mtbr member
    For Sunday's WP my groups initial plans was to shuttle before and after the WP, but with the rain we decided to respect the request and skip the ride. When we did a WP in August we got shuttled to the top.

I5Troll
    Huge Thanks, Chris & team!!

Here's a quick update on the first-time-in-like-hundreds-of--days rainy weekend work parties...

Today/Friday -- Duthie from 1pm to 6pm (Evergreen MTB Calendar). Nolan and Jon will really be out there starting at 11, so feel free to stop by earlier. Leave any time you like.

Sat -- Duthie from 9am to 3pm (Evergreen MTB Calendar). Working on Bootcamp DH and/or StepItUp DH. Stop by and leave any time you like. Hansen Ridge cancelled. Next Hansen WP is in 2 weeks (Evergreen MTB Calendar).

Sun - Tiger (Evergreen MTB Calendar). Already have MUCHO sign-ups. Schweeeeet!!!!

mtbr member
    Mind if I bring my dogs out to the work party at Tiger?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Bring the pup up! Also it looks like the heavy rain is going to start after 3 pm on Sunday! Then things will get pounded.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a great time building trail at Tiger today. It's a fun way to spend a rainy day and I will certainly enjoy the trail that much more once it is finished.

Rolling rocks around: not a bad workout.

Even in the woods, it can be hard to avoid middle management.

It took a lot of dirt mining to fill this thing in.

But it's not hard to keep shoveling when you can picture yourself flowing down this thing next summer.

Good Stuff

mtbr member
    Great day of trail work at tiger. All those pics make it looks like it was beautiful weather while we were working. By the end we were soaked and covered in mud. Better than we'd get coated riding in the wet.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I helped at the Saturday Duthie WP with Graham & Co.

Ryan's was in shockingly good shape just from the rain alone. A couple more days of that soaking in and it should be good to go until the next two month dry spell.

You can really tell though the spots that have decent clay from those that have sandier soil on them. We need to have the GPS data for all the good clay borrow pits!

Rolland

Justin Vander Pol
    Good working with you guys at Tiger on Sunday! The Swamp Monster is going to be a sweet bit of trail.

mtbr member
    On the map it looks flat and boring, but that section of trail we worked looks like a lot of fun. Reminds me of the upper parts of Skookum in a way.

I5Troll
    Huge thanks, everybody. Great few days of WPs!

Had a great showing at Duthie on Fri and Sat. Fri was too dry to do any work on the trail (), so Nolan, Jon and team took some brand new awesome dirt and re-built the clearing drop zone, last Luna table landing and last feature on the Luna step-down line (turned it into a table). Sat had the perfect amount of rain for trail work... not too much at all. Graham took the peeps on Ryan's Line and Bootcamp and I unplugged the pumptrack's east side catch basin and culverts. I'm off the crutches, but still gotta watch how hard I work my knee. Hurtin' this morning.

The Tiger progress looks amazing. And those pics... Someone has some skill and/or one schweeeet camera. My iPhone doesn't cut it. What's the cheapest cam with reasonable low light capability that'll work for winter shots in the thick PNW woods?

Tyler is at Duthie right now. Hopin' he gets the Bootcamp DH opened back up today. Miguel will be out all week working on Deuces... Still closed. Mark will be out soon to work on the pumptrack... Still closed. Next: get the StepItUp DH opened back up.

Cheers,
    Mike

I5Troll
    Update from Tyler: Bootcamp, StepItUp and the little pump track will be opened this evening. big pump track and Deuces Wild still closed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dromond, what exact camera are you using? Juice said it was a Fuji compact? Those shots look impressive for a compact.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good news about the work at Duthie!

The camera is a Fuji X100. Not cheap, but quite good. Fantastic image quality for a compact. It has an APS-C sized sensor (as big as small DSLRs; gathers lots of lights, isn't noisy when you raise the ISO in dim areas) and a fixed F/2.0 prime lens (does not zoom, but gathers tons of light.)

If you want a pocket camera that will still take decent pictures in low light I would look at the Canon Powershot series of similar. The S100 and other cameras in that line actually fit in your pocket and have a fast lens for low light.

If you want to get into photography more and want superb low light shots and the more options for action shots, high quality video, etc. then look at the entry level DSLRS like the T3i and get a 50mm 1.8 lens for extra super low light photos.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the s100, it's what I use too and does amazingly well on the trail in different lighting, nice and small too.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

Last word is all yours...
    A1 post.

Bittersweet read though; last time I rode a bike was end of last month at Stevens. After that I had to send my fork back to RS, and now being literally a world away from anything mtb related, I'm both stoked for what's going on and pained to be missing out...

Anybody who had the chance to go sculpt earthen ribbons in the damp, cool, forests of the PNW: appreciate how blessed you are!
    --
    -bp

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    My iPhone doesn't cut it. What's the cheapest cam with reasonable low light capability that'll work for winter shots in the thick PNW woods?
    The cheapest possible is the Panasonic Lumix TS20 ($135 on Amazon) and it's waterproof! so you can always have it with you and just not worry about it.

Or you can spring for the TS4 ($250.)

I have the TS2 and it's a great beater camera for still shots.

Rolland

FM
    mtbr member
    And another vote for the canon S-series. The canon s-series are outstanding with their larger sensors and manual controls. My Canon S90 is going strong in it's 4th year, although it doesn't touch dromonds' image quality. Plenty of pics in my link below for samples.

Great WP sunday- I got a great workout while on wheelbarrow duty!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    And another vote for the canon S-series. The canon s-series are outstanding with their larger sensors and manual controls. My Canon S90 is going strong in it's 4th year, although it doesn't touch dromonds' image quality. Plenty of pics in my link below for samples.

Great WP sunday- I got a great workout while on wheelbarrow duty!
    I took sort of the same picture, in the same spot, with the same camera. Pretty funny!

Your photo:

Mine:

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    I took sort of the same picture, in the same spot, with the same camera. Pretty funny!
    Thats just one of those spots...
    You gotta take a picture!

Members who have read this thread: 0