Duthie minor flooding.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Duthie minor flooding.

Just a heads up, I rode Duthie yesterday and the stream at the beginning on the boardwalk was overflowing the trail. The boardwalk is above water but you have to ride in almost a foot deep of water to get to it. I made it just fine and my mud guards saved me from being covered in freezing water.
    But on a side note, my pedals were then covered in ice from the frozen splash, making for a dicey but fun ride. My front d/r froze too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    First time there yesterday, I concur with the flooding, it was such a fun ride. After a couple of laps, had to go back to my car since I could no longer feel my toes, after it had gotten wet from riding through the flood.

mtbr member
    People still use FDs?
    That area is always a mud hole. Ive been curious if extending the boardwalk or raising the tread has been considered.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

EMBA Member
    The spot before the start of the Duthie bridge was getting deeper as the day went on. I was able to pedal through it ok on the way to Grand Ridge, but on the way back from, my feet were taking a dunk each pedal stroke. Not so good when it is 25 degrees. That spot on Grand Ridge after the first climb going south before the middle bridge that was improved not long ago is now a 12 - 18" deep mud hole. Got water and mud up over my brakes and DRs, all of which promptly froze. I was able to work my brakes loose, but I was shifting challenged the rest of the ride. No shifting up front, and it wouldn't shift below 3 in the back. I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere though so not a big deal. Once my bike warmed back up in my garage, it's all back to normal. Still, lots of people out yesterday including several trail walkers. Awesome day on the trail.

I5Troll
    Yep, that's happened before. At least once -- maybe twice

Duthie minor flooding.-boardwalkrelieflores.jpg

...since the boardwalk was built in spring/summer 2009.

Duthie minor flooding.-img_1325_1st_boardwalk_wp.jpg

We've brought up a crushed rock turnpike through there. Will re-visit.

EMBA Member
    Looks like the new Duthie parking lot is nearing completion. That's where I'll be parking anyway once it opens up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Looks like the new Duthie parking lot is nearing completion. That's where I'll be parking anyway once it opens up.
    Oh is that finally getting finished up? It seems like it's taken forever to build, especially if it's just another gravel parking lot.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's not just any gravel lot, it's paved and first class.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member

Duthie minor flooding.

It's ridiculously nice. Ludicrously nice even.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Is the trail from the new lot done yet? If so, does it go to the access road behind the gate or out in to Boot camp by the worlds longest log ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Is the trail from the new lot done yet? If so, does it go to the access road behind the gate or out in to Boot camp by the worlds longest log ride?

The trail follows the road to the south gate service road. It's gravelled and maybe ridable, but not sure if officially "done".,

mtbr member

Duthie minor flooding.

As of Tuesday the road path wasn't fully rideable. But it's very nice. I sure hope the homeowner just west of the service road is onboard with everything. Seems like the trail crosses their driveway.

mtbr member
    I can't remember the pro player's name, but I noticed they were adding some cement to either side of his driveway. Definitely a nice gesture to let us ride across it. Also, the new entrance to GR is roughed in directly across from the service road. Rumor is it'll have flashing lights to cross from GR to Duthie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How is the flooding at the parking lot end of the boardwalk? Has it receded enough to not be a problem for pedaling through it w/o dipping the feet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    How is the flooding at the parking lot end of the boardwalk? Has it receded enough to not be a problem for pedaling through it w/o dipping the feet?
    I was there yesterday and if I didn't learn about it here I never would've guessed it happened. Some of the areas were really awkwardly half frozen Thursday morning so I left pretty quick.

As for the new parking lot, I didn't realize it was paved! That'll be really nice. I'd love to see something like the wash area at Stevens but I don't think that's super viable there.

mtbr member
    The wash area is under the boardwalk!
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The wash area is under the boardwalk!
    Well now I just feel dumb, I have genuinely never thought to do that! That's actually a really good idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've started to carry a gallon jug of water and a brush to do a quick wash of the bike before I home. Makes it easy, especially since at home I have my hose put away for the winter.

mtbr member

Duthie minor flooding.

Good thinking on the gallon jug! I usually just let it all dry up and then take a brush to it, followed up with simple green for the cleaning.