Darrington: Open and Ready To Ride!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Darrington: Open and Ready To Ride!

From DNR's announcement this afternoon:

"The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) invites the public to come visit the North Mountain Bike Trail System, located adjacent to the community of Darrington, WA, with over 10 miles of new trails officially open beginning Saturday, October 19.

In partnership with Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance, Darrington community, legislative leaders, Sierra Pacific Industries, Washington Conservation Corps, DNR trail crews, volunteers, Skagit and Snohomish Counties, DNR is opening the North Mountain Bike Trail System. About an hour from Everett, this trail system offers breathtaking views of Whitehorse Mountain and the Stillaguamish Valley.

With around 10.5 trail miles opening on North Mountain’s upper slopes, new downhill trails provide a variety of challenges for riders with advanced skills. This higher elevation trail system complements the 4-miles of lower North Mountain Bike Skills Area trails opened in 2017, offering skill-building for riders to eventually progress to the upper mountain shuttle zone,” said Sam Jarrett, DNR’s Trails Program Manager, who led DNR project management."

DNR Announcement HERE.

Evergreen Announcement HERE.

Also of note– all trails at North Mountain are currently legal for Class 1 eMTBs under DNR's Pilot Project.

Once you've ridden North Mountain, DNR is asking that you take a few moments to fill out their pilot survey HERE.
    Ian Terry
    Community Engagement Coordinator
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance

mtbr member
    How much of it is likely to be ridable in the winter?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pinchflat View Post
    How much of it is likely to be ridable in the winter?
    Most of the trails start at ~3,500' elevation and drop down to about 1,500' so on an average winter it'll definitely see snowfall.

The lower skills area sits at only about 700' elevation though.
    Ian Terry
    Community Engagement Coordinator
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wow, great trails! Had a ton of fun today pedaling up and doing 2 laps.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

FM
    mtbr member
    Pretty effin' fantastic out there. Awesome work Evergreen and DNR!

mtbr member
    You guys shuttling? Had a friend go last week and mentioned how long the climb is/. I don't mind a longer climb, but is it super steep?
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I shuttled, and it seems that is by far the popular way to ride these trails. I would definitely not want to ride the road if I could help it. It's not super steep, but it is long, and on the weekends it is busy with lots of trucks driving way too fast. It's a roughly 10-mile road... and then less than a mile of descent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    uhhh. A 10 mile shuttle up, and a 1 mile descent? Honest?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    and a 1 mile descent? Honest?
    Short on miles but not on smiles

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I may have exaggerated slightly. If you ride the blue trails down, it's more like a 2 - 2.5 mile descent. About 1.5 miles for the double black. But yeah, descents are pretty steep, and pretty short. Mostly fall-line stuff.

Super fun trails, totally worth riding. Would be a lot of pedaling though - hence the shuttles.

mtbr member
    Ok, good to know, thanks.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

Elitest thrill junkie
    lol, no. I rode up twice on Saturday. About 7.8 to get to the top of Skyline. 1.2 more miles to get to the top of Out of the Blue. Took me 1hr to get up to Skyline. 1hr 15min for Out of the Blue and the fire lookout. One thing that is unique is that this is one of the easiest grades I've ever climbed. I'm talking way easier than Master Link or Raging Ridge. It's not steep and it's constant. This is also set up pretty well for shuttling, but IMO it's one the easiest climbs I've ever done for DH.

Just Skyline is around 2.5 miles according to my track. Out of the Blue was F-ing fantastic never-ending DH on loam, roots, side-hills, you name it. So glad I did it.

I have to wonder if it's a little bit of a late-season bubble, as the trails have just opened. We had that happen here last winter, new DH/skills trails and literally waiting lines at the top during the last couple weeks of summer when they were open. Mellowed out significantly this summer.

No one was driving too fast, lots of encouragement from shuttle drivers, everyone being plenty patient and good neighbors. Even met a few other pedalers (unassisted) on the way up. Somehow passed a group of e-bikers twice. E-biking must be exhausting.

Bottom line, everyone was having a great time. Glad I made the drive.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Do be careful driving on the roads. One bad accident would really suck and could impact mtb access on the mountain. Also, if you are not already an Evergreen Mtn Bike Alliance supporter, please become one. This trail project was incredibly difficult to get built and would only have happened with the skilled Evergreen trail builders as well as the Evergreen management team. No Evergreen, no epic trails. It's that simple. Also, cudos to the DNR for supporting aggressive mtn biking on public lands.
    Last edited by slop; 6 Days Ago at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah these trails are pretty awesome. Of course it was perfect conditions as well !
    What another huge accomplishment by all involved.
    Being new and good weather, of course it was a bit crowded last weekend but I can't imagine it won't be even more popular next Spring, so I ahve to say the small weird parking lot and 1.5 lane road was kind of a circus although as someone said everybody was as calm and polite as could be, but I do wonder how that will play out. The short cut road for pedallers is good, but they do get put out on the main road up higher.

>One thing that is unique is that this is one of the easiest grades I've ever climbed

well not everything can be perfect.

Don't worry, be happy!
    You guys need to dig up the promotional video that Skye Schillhammer made. Cant think of the details but in addition to be Darrington born and bred, he rides pro for Transition and is a videographer/photo pro.

Maybe on Pinkbike?

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    You guys need to dig up the promotional video that Skye Schillhammer made. Cant think of the details but in addition to be Darrington born and bred, he rides pro for Transition and is a videographer/photo pro.

Maybe on Pinkbike?
    RaceFace creator series, “From Slide to Ride”. Here ya go:

https://youtu.be/yPiOfl-DJ3s