Darrington North Mtn- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Darrington North Mtn

I hear its open, but heard a rumor the shuttle road might be compromised ?

Anybody been out there ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I hear its open, but heard a rumor the shuttle road might be compromised ?

Anybody been out there ?
    I was out there last Saturday. The road was fine and the dirt was amazing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    I was out there last Saturday. The road was fine and the dirt was amazing.
    Is there any sort of commercial shuttle setup in Darrington?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    there is no commercial shuttle at north mountain. but I just rode there this last weekend and from the parking area and to climb to the firetower it is 5.5 miles and 2400 ft so not all that bad. the best option might be to rent an ebike and use that to "shuttle" since these trails are ebike legal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2zmtnz View Post
    there is no commercial shuttle at north mountain. but I just rode there this last weekend and from the parking area and to climb to the firetower it is 5.5 miles and 2400 ft so not all that bad. the best option might be to rent an ebike and use that to "shuttle" since these trails are ebike legal.
    Were you riding a Gnarvana by chance?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    Is there any sort of commercial shuttle setup in Darrington?
    I think a shuttle service and e-bike rentals would be a great business for Darrington.

mtbr member
    Was planning to head up there in a couple weeks. Am I correct that the whole area is shuttleable, i.e. open roads and no gates? We'd bring our own shuttle rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Was planning to head up there in a couple weeks. Am I correct that the whole area is shuttleable, i.e. open roads and no gates? We'd bring our own shuttle rig.
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can any one share which is the best way to shuttle up? It looks like there is 2 different paths...

Planning on heading out tomorrow with a group,, any other info to share would be great! Is skyline the best way down?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Were you riding a Gnarvana by chance?
    that was me on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPM View Post
    Can any one share which is the best way to shuttle up? It looks like there is 2 different paths...

Planning on heading out tomorrow with a group,, any other info to share would be great! Is skyline the best way down?

take a look at trailforks for the shuttle road (North Mountain Road) the other roads are blocked with gates so mostly used for people that will ride up instead of shuttling. also if you see people climbing the road please slow down so you reduce the dust you create they will be breathing in while you pass them.

as for the best way down it depends on what you are looking for and what your groups skill level is at.

Skyline is a relatively flowy blue trail, Jackpot is a fun techy black diamond trail but has some difficult sections, there is also out of the blue another very fun black diamond (but it takes you farther down the road than the usual parking area). If you are looking for more after those blacks then you also have showcase showdown that is a steep and quite challenging double black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2zmtnz View Post
    that was me on Sunday.

take a look at trailforks for the shuttle road (North Mountain Road) the other roads are blocked with gates so mostly used for people that will ride up instead of shuttling. also if you see people climbing the road please slow down so you reduce the dust you create they will be breathing in while you pass them.

as for the best way down it depends on what you are looking for and what your groups skill level is at.

Skyline is a relatively flowy blue trail, Jackpot is a fun techy black diamond trail but has some difficult sections, there is also out of the blue another very fun black diamond (but it takes you farther down the road than the usual parking area). If you are looking for more after those blacks then you also have showcase showdown that is a steep and quite challenging double black.
    Thinking about pedaling up tomorrow morning. Is there a preferred route up? I'd like to avoid North Mountain Rd if possible. Looking at TF, is Beverly Rd the way to go? I'd like to get all the way up to the top, and descend Out of the Blue. TIA!