Colonnade Joyride Drop Zone is thirsty- Mtbr.com
    I5Troll

Colonnade Joyride Drop Zone is thirsty

Next time you ride, please take 5 minutes to hose down the practice drops' landing area (on the far south end of Phase 2).

There's a red hose and sprayer laying around there -- we'll leave it turned on. The big drops' landing area really needs to be kept damp until it packs down. It doesn't need to get soaked -- we just need to keep it from drying out.

So, after you've had a couple runs and need to catch your breath... head over there, grab the red hose and sprayer, and spray for 5 minutes. That'll be a tremendous help!

Feel free to lightly spray down the pumptrack and jump lines if they look particularly dusty. We now have 3 hoses hooked up -- they should reach anywhere in Phase 2. No need to disconnect any hoses or sprayers. Just make sure **not** to soak anything so much that water pools up or starts to stream down a slope. Also, be careful not to get wood structures wet... can be a slippery hazard. If you do accidentally get too much water on something, just grab an orange bucket or a cone and close off the line for a few minutes until it dries. THANKS A TON!

FM
    mtbr member
    Nice work, all!

Note preferred watering technique:

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Things happen to you when you work underneath a freeway for over 3 years.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    Things happen to you when you work underneath a freeway for over 3 years.
    Dood, you really need to get out more. Do you remember what the first B in bbtc stands for? I'm hoping nobody else forgets. The urban stuff is really cool, but....

Monte

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    Dood, you really need to get out more. Do you remember what the first B in bbtc stands for? I'm hoping nobody else forgets. The urban stuff is really cool, but....

Monte
    Oh i understand quite a bit.

The park is smack dab right in the middle of highly populated Seattle, it's incredibly easily accessible, high profile. It's absolutely advantageous as a showcase to demonstrate to land managers what mountain bikers are capable of accomplishing on a volunteer level. Already has been used as such.

As well as simply drawing in new riders for a fresh crop of volunteers, strengthening our ranks as a user-group.

Just wait til you get a load of the PNW native animal signs that bring a better appreciation of nature to the next generation, as well as bridging a gap in understanding in how and why mountain bikers ride.

As well as what i've stated before in providing a safer place for people to enhance skills so as to enjoy the backcountry rides with more confidence and safety, along with giving a meeting place to share these joys with like riders and/or the non riding public.

These reasons were not lost to me, and are the driving reason why i've chosen the path, and beaten the drum. Also a tangent to think about is legitimizing Freeride, All-Mountain,Extreme XC The sooner we can get legal extreme trails, the faster we can get current "grey" trails legitimized, and someday illegal building will be unnecessary and a thing of the past.

If you want more reasons i really could go on...

i am one of well over 20 to 30 people that have sacrificed big time to make this a success. As well as the thousands of other hands either grabbing their shovel, or digging into their wallets. As well as the invisible behind the scenes folk who sacrificed and made tough decisions.

i don't know what their motivation was or is, but i certainly had a vision rattling around in my skull about why i was doing.

But yah , i'll be up there breathing that cool crisp mountain air soon. So in essence i appreciate the kind words, but i look forward to the time of just getting out there and enjoying good trail and good times. It means alot to me and so i paid into a huge investment, which i hope ensures i can continue to share in those good times.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey i just was at collonade today for the first time and WOW is that an amazing accomplishment for the local mountain bike community. To have features like that legal and easily accessable is a huge boon to all riders.

I do have one suggestion though and thats to build a handrail the right side of the wooden structure at the start of the jump lines for people who wear clipless pedals to clip in while stationary. There is really not enough room to start pedaling and clip in both feet by the time the drop comes up so it prevented me from riding the two advanced lines. Just a humble suggestion. But again congratulations on the stellar achievment there, that park will be there for decades to come.
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    curler....the railing's already in the works...but thanks for the suggestions. we appreciate rider feedback, especially in regards to features built up like that. I know justin from BBTC and mike were talking about widening that first corner on the entrance ramp as well. it is a little tight right now, so keep an eye out for that...it will be done soon. glad you liked the park.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsrider
    curler....the railing's already in the works...but thanks for the suggestions. we appreciate rider feedback, especially in regards to features built up like that. I know justin from BBTC and mike were talking about widening that first corner on the entrance ramp as well. it is a little tight right now, so keep an eye out for that...it will be done soon. glad you liked the park.
    Oh man I have seen some great endos over that first corner.

When it gets busy, that corner gets dusty and slippery.

It would be cool if there was a little wall-ride-U-turn thingy right on the edge of the pump track where some people ride up and down to get a good line into the entrance ramp of the jump lines.

Clipless pedals on the jump lines? Crazy!

Tim + Mike! Good stuff guys. I've come by and helped you a few times before. Wish I could dedicate more time (and back muscle) to the project, but when I am there I always help.

FM
    mtbr member
    I'd be in favor of widening that corner, it could be banked just a bit as well. The same sort of changes we made to the upper ladder that drops you towards the wall ride. As for traction, I'd vote for cross-hatching that ramp.

Some people won't like hearing this, but I think a big reason that corner can be tough is that so many people choose to walk up. Personally I prefer to ride up, so I'm carrying some speed. Kind of frustrating when there's people standing on top of the shed waiting to drop in. IMHO people should queue up on the dirt, so the walkers don't cut off people who prefer to ride up or create bottlenecks.

Justin Vander Pol
    There's plans to widen that corner right before the grand opening on Sept 13, it is a bit tight, but no hand rail is going in. The ramp is meant to be a bit difficult and serve as warning for the challenge of the trail. Classic filter-feature theory going on there, that's why there's a little drop getting on to jump lines 2 or 3, to serve as notice people who may not be able to safely ride those lines just yet.

Just a general note to folks checking out Colonnade for the first time: to safely enjoy the jumpy side of the park leave the clips at come and SLAM your seat - all the way down - not just an inch or two - all the way. You'll be much happier and safer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Just a general note to folks checking out Colonnade for the first time: to safely enjoy the jumpy side of the park leave the clips at come and SLAM your seat - all the way down - not just an inch or two - all the way. You'll be much happier and safer.
    Not everyone rides flats dude, i downhill race in clips, i ride the flowpark in clips, i ride whistler in clips, i do everything in clips and just because im not in the majority there are a few out there like me. I dont think that some brand new mountainbiker is going to climb up there just cuz theres a handrail and if he does, he would have done it with or without a handrail. I think the signage is very adequete.
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    justin, isn't that the opposite of what mike was saying the other night? I thought he was telling us to add a support railing or 2x4 beam along the side, although i might have heard him wrong. maybe that was the thing to keep people from going under the shed and in on the other side. as far as riding jumps clipless...sure you can do it. I used to jump while riding clipless pedals all the time. yes, riders like that are a minority these days, but they are still out there. although I have to say curler...RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK! the signage is everywhere in the park, and if you choose to do a feature too advanced for your skill level and or too difficult to ride in clips, you do so at your own peril. although i doubt you are one of those riders that will hurt themselves and get the whole thing closed down, just know you are taking that risk. riding trails under construction clipless is always a risk.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    There's plans to widen that corner right before the grand opening on Sept 13, it is a bit tight, but no hand rail is going in.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsrider
    maybe that was the thing to keep people from going under the shed and in on the other side.
    That may be what we're talking about... the hip/drop off the shed is a gateway feature -- gotta be able to do the drop before hitting Kim's line.

Quote Originally Posted by Curler
    build a handrail the right side of the wooden structure at the start of the jump lines for people who wear clipless pedals to clip in while stationary.
    I may have missed it in the thread, but just curious as to why you're not clipped in at the top... is it because there's a line of riders so you have to walk up *or* it's too difficult to pedal up the ramp to the top *or* you prefer to walk up *or* other? All valid... just curious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well ive got a 50 lb dh machine that just HATES being pedaled plus i would rather not be clipped in while riding UP in case i run out of steam and tip over there would be nowhere to put my foot. I would just like to clip in at the top.
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

Just roll it......
    Well ive got a 50 lb dh machine that just HATES being pedaled plus i would rather not be clipped in while riding UP in case i run out of steam and tip over there would be nowhere to put my foot. I would just like to clip in at the top.
    You ride Whistler clipped in, you DH race clipped in, you dj clipped in......but you can't climb up a 30 degree ladder (a gateway filter, really) on your big bike clipped in?

Perhaps rolling in from next to the pump track would help you carry momentum? Or.....might I suggest riding flats.....you actually might try to ride more things that way vs. just walking them! Not to call you out, just sayin'....

Regardless, widening the turn will definitely make it easier for folks getting on the platform, however, adding a railing for an entrance filter doesn't make much sense, IMO.

Cheers,
    EB

FM
    mtbr member
    That most riders are walking this "gateway feature" really says it all.
    To clean the ladder up, most pedaling riders start up by the pump track, then you have sort of a traffic issue- riders heading west to drop in, and other riders returning north for another lap, plus a bunch of riders standing around at the base of the ladder up to the shed. As I mentioned previously, this makes it pretty difficult to pedal up the ladder, as was intended.
    I think even if the corner is widened, many riders will still walk it, simply because it goes uphill. WEAKSAUCE!
    Possible solutions:
    a ground-level ladder bridge or skinny connecting with the up-ramp, to give traffic priority to those riding up to the shed?
    Narrow the ladder on top of the shed, so it must be ridden (too narrow to "get off & get back on" on) This might require some extra woodwork to create splits for each of the three lines.
    Think of riding the log rides on "in deep" or on the shore, how would you feel if you pedaled up a skinny and the guy in front of you stops ON AN ELEVATED PLATFORM to put his gloves and helmet on?
    I'd be happy to help or take this on if Mike & Joel approve.

ride your bike
    ...I agree with the cross-hatching idea. Or maybe we can make the get-up on the box more of a non-optional "skill-filter". It is a bit weird to wait to roll up so peeps can walk up and chill on top before dropping in.

It's been a while since I've ridden on with the big bike...we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    That most riders are walking this "gateway feature" really says it all.
    I haven't been there much the past month, but all of the days I've been out there, I'd say most riders who can ride lines 2 and 3 are, in fact, riding up the ladder.......which is serving it's purpose of keeping folks that need to "reclip" or walk up the ladder off of those lines. I do think widening it at the corner and cross hatching it will help though.

Of course, the easier it becomes at the entrance, the more tumbles you'll see downstream on those particular lines from folks that shouldn't be riding them. With more speed and potential airtime, the repercussions for those tumbles could be worse.

EB

Justin Vander Pol
    Not everyone rides flats dude, i downhill race in clips, i ride the flowpark in clips, i ride whistler in clips, i do everything in clips and just because im not in the majority there are a few out there like me. I dont think that some brand new mountainbiker is going to climb up there just cuz theres a handrail and if he does, he would have done it with or without a handrail. I think the signage is very adequete.
    Yeah, I assumed you were an experienced rider. I just wanted to give a heads up to folks who might be reading this thread and are considering heading to Colonnade for the first time.

Once the corner is widened the pedal up should get a lot easier since you won't have to stall out on that corner. As for filter features - they're an important part of good trail design. It's amazing how many people disregard signage. I think it's really good that it's a bit hard to ride up there in clips, it'll keep the newbs on xc bikes and full-height seat posts from getting hurt.

5 weeks to go. No time for new features, now there's just barely time to finish what we've got. We're almost there. The home stretch.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Of course, the easier it becomes at the entrance, the more tumbles you'll see downstream on those particular lines from folks that shouldn't be riding them. With more speed and potential airtime, the repercussions for those tumbles could be worse.

EB
    Why do you think I ride my 7x7 there?

Plows right over dead bodies like nothing!

Honestly though, I have yet to see anyone try lines 2 and 3 who couldn't handle it. Usually people go line 1 and still piss themselves.

Those drops for 2 and 3 make the lines look way harder than they really are.

I've become pretty fond of the upper line that starts at the pump track. I usually have it all to myself even if the place is crowded. You can also get a longer run out of it now that it goes all the way to Schleyer.

ride your bike
    Man, Mike wasn't lying! It's moon-dust-tastic out there now. We took about 10 min before we left to spray the joyride trannys...

But it's dry and slippery everywhere.

Side note for jump-line-platform-walkers: No problemo last night riding up several times on a heavy-ass 8" FR bike. Gear down, spin, and keep your eyes off the edge of that corner.

The skinny octagon on a big bike is a whole 'nother can o' wurmz.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Members who have read this thread: 0