Cle Elum?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cle Elum?

mortman
    Aug 2006

Cle Elum?

I will be near Cle Elum this 4th of July. Never ridden in that area. Any trails that I should hit for sure? Any lift access DH riding within an hour drive?

I will be there for a week and then a day in Seattle.

I will be bringing my Lift Pig and my trail bike.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Idahoan (mortman)
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

meh....
    One trailbike recommdation:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=esmeralda

Or search the WA forum for anything Teanaway and pick your poison. Keep an eye on ride reports, still might be snow up that high though.

Monte

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Uhm, leave the lift pig at home and save the shipping costs.... you can push it around there and shuttle a few places but not worth it imho.

Rat Pac and associated trails outside Cle Elum and Roslyn are fun. Probably dusty by then though. Check Cle Elum Hike and Bike on the main drag and the Roslyn bike shop a block West of the Roslyn Cafe in town.

Also, check out the Taneum area south of I-90 as well.

mtbr member
    The Taneum has some shuttle dh stuff that Clutchman knows a little better than me. There is one trail in particular Gooseberry Flats that drops about 700 feet in 1.2 miles. It can be done as a short shuttle with the shuttle driver probably not getting back to the bottom before the rider. You will probably want to check out Rat Pac off Cle Elum Ridge.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I don't hear about people shuttling around here much. The area is probably better known for it's longish up-n-down routes.

I just found this lately, don't know how accurate or up to date it is but you might find it helpful:
    http://pc88092.math.cwu.edu/~montgom...neum/index.php
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, Gooseberry, Taneum Ridge, and Rat Pac are not even big bike rides. The closest big bike rides are outside Leavenworth and I believe eveyone rides/pushes those routes.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Yeah, Gooseberry, Taneum Ridge, and Rat Pac are not even big bike rides. The closest big bike rides are outside Leavenworth and I believe eveyone rides/pushes those routes.
    Well, I think Gooseberry and some of the Taneum Ridge trails can be fun on big bikes though.

I think Hoyt mining trail has lots of fun sections for a slacker bike early in the season, though there is quite a bit of hike-a-bike involved if you bring out anything with lots of travel. Gnat Flats is another good one for shuttles, keep in mind though these are all moto trails so there are no big jumps or drops, they just get really steep in places. The big trail I've ridden up in Leavenworth seems to be shuttle only. When I was up there on Saturday there were at least four groups shuttling it and nobody riding to the top.

I think Borneo is allergic to big bikes and shuttles to be honest with you... I'd show you around mortman but I'll be in central Oregon for a summer field course from next week till July 25th. I do have a .pdf file of the trails and shuttle runs in Taneum if you'd like it.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    *chuckle*
    Hey, I've been to Whistler and locally on a 8x8 and had a ball. I just don't have an extra couple grand laying around for something I'd rarely use. 6X5.5 seems like plenty for those rides. More travel and they'd get boring...

The ridge has too much up for a true big bike and both Gnat and Gooseberry are pretty short and more fun with less travel IMHO. As for Hoyt, that would be a lot of pushing on a big bike for very short payoffs. Just not "real" DH worthy stuff. That's all. But, neither is DG and that gets shuttled to death.

I've got the closet AM shuttle going that would make you all pee with glee. But, I ain't sharing...

I just think he'd be disapponted if, "that's all we had to show him". That's all...

squish is good
    I do agree with you that all the rides in Taneum are most fun on a 5-6" bike. I used to be super stoked on the local area riding and have since then discovered there are runs I enjoy more elsewhere. Personally, my favorite trails of late are down by Chinook Pass and Leavenworth. Taneum is still fun but maybe it's because I've ridden it 3-5 days a week for the last two summers!
    Bike good, work bad.

mortman
    Aug 2006

Thank You!

All this info will help greatly. I may end up bringing the Lift Pig so I have something to ride that will slow me down when I ride with the family.....ha ha.

mortman
    Aug 2006

Thank You!

While I was in Cle Elum over the 4th I was able to make a long ride with the Fam from Hyak to Cle Elum on the John Wayne Trail....very flat and scenic.

I stopped into Cle Elum Bike and Board and was given some "good" directions to a F/R trail called Rat Pac Trail. It was very SWEET! Lower section (re-route) was a little rough but getting there. Take your BIG BIKE. This trail is worth it. I was riding by myself on a Cdale Jekyll so I passed around a lot of the obstacles and took pictures of the stunts to remind myself to bring my big bike next time.

Thank You to Mike and crew at Cle Elum Bike and Board! As an out of towner I was given directions to their own hand made trail. It was a rippin good time!

No pics because I wiped my card. First and last time for that accident.

Thanks again!!!

mtbr member
    Its about time someone came over to ride Rat Pac. With the gate being locked we get so few riders. I ran into four riders on the Fourth going up the hill to RP. That was the most I have seen in a couple of years. Mike has put together a "shuttle bus" but getting the gate open might be a problem.

That's ok I'll walk it...
    Who needs to shuttle just ride up the trails from Roslyn, it builds character or puts hair on your chest or something like that. Heading up there on Saturday for more fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0