mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Blended Bifocal vs progressive trifocal riding

Hello. Not a Washington specific thing but Raging, Galbraith, Paradise etc.. is where I ride. Been riding with lined bifocals so I can read a map, phone, etc.. Single vision/contacts not an option. Have now been wearing progressive trifocals for a few weeks but haven't been able to ride or ski. Anyone have experience riding with either widest progressive trifocals or blended bifocals on our trails. I don't think the blended are going to work but first couple hours with them. Were suppose to be lined but ordered mixed up. Neck issues preventing me from just getting out there. Thank you in advance.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I wear multi-focal contacts which are great but sounds like they won't work for you. I'll wear my blended bifocals glasses in a pinch, and they work, but not nearly as well as the multi-focal's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the reply. By multi focal do you mean lined bifocals or trifocals? The blended bifocals I just received yesterday have a larger blurry area than either my old lined bifocals or my progressive trifocals. When I tried progressive bifocals over 10 years ago head a headache for a month and gave up. The new stuff seems much much better and much easier to adapt to. I have the widest field of view option.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Sorry I was not more clear - the multi focal lenses I wear are contact lenses. It sounds like you don't wear contacts but if you can put up with contacts I highly recommend the multi focal variety for active use - I find them comfortable to wear and the transition from distance to close vision is really good and happens naturally without worrying about which part of the lens you are looking through.

If my contacts are not handy I will sometimes wear blended bifocal glasses and they work but are not as sharp or comfortable as the contacts.

You might describe your issues to your optical lab and ask them to adjust your lens grind to have less lens area containing the higher (reading) power and more with your distance power. You'll have to cock your head more to read the map but will have less of a chance to go OTB because you missed something

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Woodway. Can't wear contacts. I think I going to go trifocal progressive there working great for my regular glasses. The blended bifocal not so well.